Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Pink: It's The Color of Passion

To quote Aerosmith:

Pink it's my new obsession
Pink it's not even a question
Pink on the lips of your lover,
cause Pink is the love you discover

Okay, so perhaps pink isn't exactly a new obsession of mine -- in fact, I've showcased a number of stunning rooms that I have incorporated pink in the past (see HERE and HERE), but I haven't really waxed poetic about pink (until now). I thought in honor of Valentine's Day, I'd give a true homage to pink interiors. After all, it's pink (not red) that's the color of passion.

Pink is a universally flattering color, both in fashion and in interior design. Pink warms a room like no other color and it has a way of making everybody's skin look better. Unfairly labeled as fussy or feminine, pink is making a comeback and leaving the confines of sorority houses and little girls' rooms to become the color du jour for dining rooms, living rooms and even foyers.

The picture above is the pink lounge at The G., a boutique hotel in Galway, Ireland, that Dave and I had the pleasure of staying in during our vacation to the Emerald Isle last summer. Would you believe me if I told you that the room is actually less overwhelming in person? And, of the three lounges at the hotel, this pink room was definitely the crowd favorite -- in the three nights we stayed there, I could never snag a table!


A small confession: this month's Traditional Home is the first copy of the publication that I have ever read, let alone purchased. And I loved it. I've never really thought of myself as "traditional" but if the likes of Ruthie Sommers (and Kara Mann) qualify, than so must I. In any case, this gorgeous dining room by Ruthie Sommers is such a glorious example of how gorgeous (and unstuffy!) hand painted wallpaper can be. The seagrass rug and painted chairs keep the room feeling more casual and more approachable, but my favorite detail is the coral trim around the window frame.


Amanda Nisbet is one of those designers whose work just makes me smile -- and this teen bedroom is no exception. The hot pink is girly and youthful, but not babyish (very important when you're 14 and trying so very hard to be grown-up!). I particularly love the floor to ceiling drapes in hot pink and coordinating lantern.



I normally prefer my stairs left bare, but this cherry blossom runner is the icing on the cake in this gorgeous entryway from Jeffers Design Group.

The lounge at the Luxe Hotel in Bel Air is entirely neutral, except for the small shots of pink the the pillows and the artwork -- and yet these touches make an enormous impact. The pale pink shines brightly, almost like small points of light against the dark sofas and gray walls.


Hot pink is a great accent color in this otherwise white bedroom by Rosie Daykin. Note the raspberry leopard print on the Bergere chair -- tres chic!

The pink walls in this California living room are almost coral and I love how well the tone works with the yellows, golds and taupes used throughout the space. The feeling in this room is unmistakably Moroccan, but with a sunny, updated color palette that works perfectly for West Coast living. Did you notice the raspberry welting on the golden leather chairs in the foreground? It's little details like this that can really pull a room's color palette together.

Palmer Weiss

A lot of little girls' rooms are too sweet/too precious for me. They're often over the top: too much fabric, too many frills and even too much pink. And yet, while this room theoretically falls within that "over the top" category, I'm really attracted to it. Perhaps it's the more modern floral pattern (that also happens to incorporate a lot of green) -- or the fact that the pink is bolder and more intense than the pale, girly pinks most little girls' rooms are doused in. I also think Palmer knew exactly where to draw the line with color when she selected a simple white coverlet: anything else would have pushed it over the edge.

Miles Redd

A red and pink room sounds like a definite "don't", but the indomitable Miles Redd somehow makes it work -- and makes it feel sophisticated and even a bit masculine at the same time. I think the key here is the rather serious looking artwork.

Windsor Smith

The spread of Windsor Smith's house in House Beautiful ranks as one of my all-time favorite shelter magazine features. The house was just as beautiful, well designed and well lived as you would expect from one of the pioneers of new traditional style. Of all the rooms featured though, this salmon pink sitting room was my favorite. From the bright paint to the gorgeous white molding, from the chevron-patterned chair to the bright blue sofa, this room is absolutely perfect.

When I started getting interested in interior design a few years ago, Jonathan Adler was one of the first designers that I really gravitated towards. His designs are always fresh, modern and colorful and his mix of pattens is always inspired. In short, Adler is a trendsetter and this room is a great illustration of that as there are so many elements here that are (and have been for a while) major design trends: wallpaper, white ceramic animals, capiz shell lighting, mirrored furniture, natural hides as rugs, owls, faux-bamboo, and gilt.

Jonathan Berger

Berger's pink-infused townhouse was featured in House Beautiful in the July 2009 issue and this was another very memorable feature for me. I absolutely adore the bold fuchsia walls in the entryway (which continue up the stairs to the landing). The pink is such a bold, modern contrast to the very traditional furniture pieces and chinoiserie accessories. It's also a crisp counterpart to the white molding and the black stair treads.

22 comments:

Emily A. Clark said...

I love how sophisticated pink can be. Great pics.

BTW, I was also surprised by how good Traditional Home is. I got it a few years ago bec. it was a great deal and I really liked it. Not as traditional as one would think. . .

Southern Aspirations said...

Fantastic examples! And not a pepto bismal pink anywhere!

I'm with Emily on Traditional Home. It's actually one of my favorites now and definitely not "old school" traditional- lots of the "modern classic" look whatever that is. ;-)

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

I'm a huge fan of pink, and I'm loving your spread on how designers have incorporated it (well!) into their interiors. My faves have to be the Jonathan Adler entryway (and I usually find Adler to be too "out there" for me) and the Rosie Daykin bedroom. Into the inspiration files they go!! :)

Laura@JourneyChic said...

These are great, but I like the Rosie Daykin in particular - it looks so comfortable and the pink isn't too overwhelming. Love the Aerosmith quote, too. :)

Couture Carrie said...

Gorgeous pinks, darlings! These spaces are fabulous! And I love the zebra rug and the optical floor in the first pic!

xoxox,
CC

Kathysue said...

I love pink and Have always had touches in my Spring mix of colors I use in my home. It is a tricky color to use as you said but I like the shade of watermelon pink in my home. Loved the Ruthie Summers room,so elegant. I always have to use the word,"Pretty" when I see a pink room. I have a whole file of Pretty pink rooms. I also love the shade of pink inside of a shell, oh so pretty. Really enjoyed this post, great job. Kathysue

Poindexter said...

thanks, I adore how versatile pink can be. And I'm completely taken with how fresh the Jonathan Adler room looks with that delicate capiz shell sconce.

Sanity Fair said...

You had me at hello! I LOVE that first picture. I did a room once in white, grey, and shock pink accents, and it was SO FUN. I still have pink linens that were my grandmother's, and I so much enjoy using them. It's the happiest color! Really enjoyed this post because of the incredibly wide selection of uses - so many different rooms for one color.

Beth Connolly said...

I adore pink and these are great examples. I have a post coming up on pink Chinoiserie for my Valentine's Day series. I love the Ruthie Sommers room but for the lack of curtains. Window treatments are a deal breaker for me in looking at a room. As for Traditional Home, it is emerging as one of my favorite magazines, perhaps my favorite.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Whoa...that first image could nearly knock someone over! I'm certain I would feel dizzy standing in there. The last image, perfection! I do love a little pink, wearing some today! Janell

casapinka said...

Thanks for all of the pink inspiration! The G and the Johnathon Berger image are in my inspiration journal (including the name of the paint color!)

Unknown said...

great post! i used a few of the same pictures in my pre-valentine's pink room post too... i hope you'll get a chance to check it out :)

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

What lovely rooms. Its funny but the feel of pink can be so different depending on what shade is used and how.

alison giese Interiors said...

The Miles Redd room makes me think of chocolate-covered cherries for some reason. Some days, I second-guess my choice of hot pink and navy for Avery's "big girl" room, but when I see the Amanda Nisbet tween room, I know why I did it.
Great collection!

Jenn @ Dear Heart said...

Such a fun post, with many of my favorite rooms. I normally don't like murals, but that Ruthie Sommers room takes your breath away.

Dumbwit Tellher said...

This post was like a trip the State Fair, I mean that in a positive way. All cotton candy pink delight. Many favorites and many new ones that I had not yet seen. Does that darn Miles Redd every do anything wrong in the land of design?

Thanks for your great advice today. SO appreciated Averill. xx

Acanthus and Acorn said...

My daughter is in love with the Amanda Nisbet room. We have been mulling over that Dash & Albert rug for awhile...do you know anything about the drapery fabric??? Great pink images.

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Love these examples and designers. The raspberry welting on the leather chairs is fab. And Adler makes it look easy. Great selections!

xo,
cristin

Sarah Klassen said...

I just adore these examples and color, of course! I love the variety you have shown here, Averill -- from little bits of pink around a room to full on pink infusion; Tradtional and modern.

I think of all spaces, Jonathan Adler's speaks to me the most...maybe it's the softness and bold elements combined. Also, the shell wall sconce is soooo pretty...

I hope you're week has been lovely so far, Averill :)

Anonymous said...

I've been on a pink/fushia kick myself, trying to infuse it into the house in little bits. Easy with a three year old little girl!!

Samantha said...

Pink is always a great color.

Marija said...

There are some terrific images here. Just when I thought I had found a favorite, I scrolled down to see another! I'm torn between Adler & Berger...

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails