Thursday, February 4, 2010

Round Up: Valentine's Day Cards

Okay so Valentine's Day may be 10 days away, but consider this a friendly reminder that it is just around the corner. I do not, as a general rule, put a lot of stock in Valentine's Day as a romantic holiday -- which is lucky for Dave as his first Valentine's Day gift to me was a blender. I do, however, thoroughly enjoy Valentine's Day as an excuse to buy and send cards and stationery. Even if it is just a "Hallmark Holiday", Valentine's Day is just as good a reason as any to let the people you care about most in your life that you...well, care about them.

If you're still looking for the perfect card or cards, I'd suggest foregoing your local Walgreens or CVS in favor of searching out a card that's a bit more personal and unique. And remember: cards are even better when you take the time to include a handwritten note. This year, while I'll be writing a few cards by hand, I think I'll send most of my cards virtually. Iomoi has a wonderful selection of Valentine's Day motifs (like the one above) for its virtual e-cards and, at $15 for a yearlong subscription, you could send Valentines to everyone in your address book.


Source list (from top left): 1. TTV Photograph Valentine's Day cards from Maile Lani ($12/set of 3). These are practically art-quality and would make great seasonal decorations. 2. Like card from Michelle Brusegaard ($3.25). The perfect card if your relationship is still in its nascent stage. 3. I Love You My Dear letterpress cards from Tara Hogan ($14/set of 5). I can't resist a cute pun...especially when it's on letterpress! 4. Love All Lovely cards from Up Up Creative ($9/set of 4). The retro-70s vibe of these cards is great and the color palette is a nice change from sticky sweet pink and red. 5. Vintage-Inspired Candy Shop Valentine's cards from Two Poodle Press ($4/set of 10). A great price; perfect if you're buying for an entire class. 6. Pride and Prejudice Valentine from Stars and Stillness ($3). What girl wouldn't melt for Mr. Darcy? 7. Laugh Love Dream notecards from Orange Beautiful A great take on the typographical trend that's still raging hot. I love the black and white card paired with the hot pink envelope. ($10/set of 6).

Source list (from top left): 1. Valentine's Day card from Jen Rotert ($3.50). Sometimes it pays to keep it cute and simple. 2. Letterpress Friendship card from Sycamore Street Press ($4). A great friendship card that's more sassy than sappy. 3. Valentine's Day Personalized Cards with Keepsake Mailbox from Ink Spot Workshop ($21/set of 20). The kid in me loves this whole set: the stickers, personalized cards and mailbox to keep them in. 4. Happy V Day card from Sweet Perversion ($4). The simple exterior belies the bold message inside this card. 5. Sweetheart Ribbon Card from Anna Cote ($5.50). Just plain pretty. 6. You Fill My Heart with Love card from Just Another Day ($3). I love the modern, clean look of this card. 7. The Bee's Knees Valentine Card from Lily Jane Stationery ($3). I love how the bee's path is in the shape of a heart. 8. Do You Still Love Me? letterpress card from The Sherwood Press ($4). This card would be perfect for my bug-loving hubby.

This coming week I'll be doing something a bit different in honor of Valentine's Day: I'll be posting some of my favorite love poems and accompanying artwork from favorite Etsy sellers. I've long been a fan of poetry (indeed, this blog's name is the first 3 words in one of my favorite Latin love poems from Catullus), though admittedly I have not shared my passion for verse on this blog before. Poetry has a way of capturing the real rhythms of love (and loss) in a way that prose quite simply cannot. And so, I thought I'd take this Valentine's Day as an opportunity to share with you a few poems that have meant a lot to me over the years. But don't worry, if you're not a fan of poetry I'll still be interspersing the poetry with my usual posts on design, shopping and style.

16 comments:

Laura@JourneyChic said...

This is such a pretty selection! I haven't even thought about V-day cards yet...Guess I should get working on them!

Poindexter said...

fabulous inspiration! I'm going to get started making some of my valentines tonight. Fun :)
Thanks for sharing--

Patricia Shepard said...

Remember our V Day date at the Rainbow Cafe? I will remind you for time immemorial. It was FUUUUUN!! :-)

Sogni e Sorrisi said...

Love the Pride & Prejudice and Love, Laugh, Dream cards. Great idea with the poetry!

Kathysue said...

A blender, Oh No Dave,faux paus!!I have always told my hubby appliances are never considered a gift by a woman. Love all the card selections. Love the Pride and Prejudice notes, I agree, love Mr Darcy. Fun post, Averill, kathysue

Averill said...

P - Our Valentine's Day date is still my favorite V-day ever!

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Love so many of these. Perhaps I should go out to my favorite paper store and get a bunch of cards before we are under 2 feet of snow here. I grew up in Houston and someone I went to HS with has her own card business. She's got a blog too...you should check her out. www.llhdesigns.com

I enjoy your blog and am glad I've found it.

Unknown said...

great finds! i'm a big believer in the importance of the handwritten note.

Christy said...

So cute - love all your picks. And I look forward to your poetry picks too! Have a great weekend Averill - we're expecting a huge snowstorm and I can't wait!!!

Maureen Stevens said...

all wonderful picks! I love , love Orange beautiful! oh & it must've been a gorgeous blender Dave gave u!:)

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

Thanks for the mention! You've got some great picks here.

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

I'm so bad with cards. I love them, but I always forget to buy them in time. Or I get them and then never never remember to actually fill them out.

Ah so bad of me! I'm loving all of these pics though. Especially the LIKE one! Too cute!

Beth Connolly said...

Excited to see your poetry picks. I was an English major and adore reading and writing poetry.

Unknown said...

i absolutely love the "like" card. such a cute twist on the classic love monument. thanks for sharing!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I like the "I would trade two of my other friends for you" card!!!! Janell

coolhntr said...

Thank you so much for featuring our cards in your roundup. I hope you had a great Valentine's Day!

jen from lavish.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails