Friday, February 19, 2010

A Craving For Citrus

As most of you know, my home is largely decorated in cooler tones: blues, grays, purples, etc. But that doesn't mean that every now and then I don't get a craving for something different. Like these citrus-inspired interiors from the West Coast design firm Bonesteel Trout Hall. I don't typically gravitate towards greens, yellows and oranges (particularly altogether) but these rooms are so cheerful and bright that I can't help but think they're the perfect anecdote to (another) gray February day.

Citrus brights are a great option for a playroom that's fun and kid-friendly, but still chic enough to show off when guests come over. Besides, secondary colors are a welcome change from the primary colors that typically decorate young children's spaces.

Overall, I love this room -- it's casual and homey, but still put together and sharp. I'm normally not a fan of denim sofas, but the slim, modern lines of this sofa lend it a touch of sophistication, while the workaday denim ensures that it's still casual enough for a family or media room. The bright orange chair and coordinating pillows are a great contrast to the dark wash of the denim upholstery.

I'm always drawn to a bright, white kitchen with pops of bright accent colors in the form of dishware, accessories or even food. Since kitchen renovations are so pricey, this is a great way to bring in color without the long-term commitment. Besides, I can never get enough of vaulted ceilings!

I love how all that orange is balanced out by the light, natural materials on the chairs, floor and even light fixture. And those orchids in the giant clam shell are such a statement! I'd love something like that in my bathroom.

The choice of green glass is a bold one to be sure, but it's well balanced by all the other classic choices in the room: black granite countertops, nickel hardware, and classic sconces. The overall feeling is modern, but still timeless.

The linens here remind me of the linens at the hotel room I stayed at earlier this week while I was attending a conference in Austin. [As with everything in Austin, the room was decked out in burnt orange, complete with orange-trimmed bed linens like the ones above. Here though, they're much more tastefully incorporated with all that breezy white instead of the heavy orange leather headboard and orange accent wall in my hotel room.] I'm particularly fond of the large green artwork on either side of the bed as it was such a great choice to go big here -- I think the natural inclination would be to go smaller given the space, but it's far more impactful this way. Note also how the lamps don't match, which is a great way to break up all that symmetry.

If you're looking to bring a few pops of citrus into your own home, CB2 currently has a huge selection of brightly-colored furniture and accessories to get you started.

To help keep these citrus brights in check, I'd follow in BTH's footsteps and mix them in with a lot of white and a few organic touches (think grass cloth wallpaper, sea grass rugs, rattan, etc.) . The white will keep the room from feeling too retro and the organic touches will ensure your room is more eclectic and less Pop Art.

26 comments:

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Averill, I love this post - LOVE!! The bright colors are right up my alley, and they're mixed with enough white that they feel like little treats rather than overwhelming you.

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

I just got back from a textile warehouse in Baltimore that has been the buzz on the local blogs. I, too, decorate with a lot of blue/gray/beige tones. I have some pops of cranberry in the living room but not much. Today I bought a bright green fabric and have plans to spice up my office a bit. Your post is inspiring.

Kathysue said...

Hi Averill, You know I love yellow and I love green but it is a family joke about how you will never see orange in my life. sorry for all of you orange lovers out there. I even hesitate putting oranges out in my fruit bowl. Oh my did I just admit that??!! I love all of your post and always look forward to your take and insight, It is fresh and inspiring,Have a great weekend,Kathysue

Christy said...

Very nice - and I hope you do use a bright orange in one of your bathrooms - that would be fabulous! That kitchen made me swoon. Love it. Hope you have a great weekend!

alison giese Interiors said...

We all need a dose of Vitamin C, ya know? I'm dying over that bedroom (esp. the art), too. One day, I need you to tell me how you put together those cool inspiration boards...Photoshop??

Tracy Watier said...

I don't use orange except in tiny little bits but I could move right into that living room with the sectional sofa. Love it.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I enjoyed this post tremendously, I hadn't really thought about how your rooms are mostly done with cool tones intil you mentioned so.

I adore orange, so much so that when we moved I had to sell some of my orange furniture, after finding that all the orange pieces ended up in the same area because that is where they fit. It was WAY TOO MUCH!

I always enjoy seeing large art in small spaces, such as the green art in the bedroom. Very dramatic, particularly against all the white.

No go add a touch of citrus to your home!! (and show us where...) Janell

Beth Connolly said...

Love the bedroom.

Dumbwit Tellher said...

I'm always drawn to citrus hues. Is that the sixties calling me home? Great post Averill. The sun is out..yah!

*Chic Provence* said...

I always love a little citrus! these are wonderful colors/rooms!

Kit

Samantha said...

We all must be tired of winter. Citrus looks good to me, too. Especially like the bedroom with a touch of zebra.

Courtney said...

Haha- I think we were doing the same thing at the same time (I just got your comment!)

The citrus in these rooms is the perfect antidote to the grey of winter-- that playroom is so much fun, and I love the bedroom!

It was great to meet you today and look forward to keeping in touch!

Anonymous said...

These photos are fab!
It was so great to meet you. Lets keep in touch:)

Anonymous said...

I love your CB2 inspiration board, and I'm also a fan of white with pops of citrus. Right now it's also feeling very fresh and springy, which of course I'm CRAVING right now with all the white snow outside. Hope you had a good weekend!

Haven and Home said...

I am having a citrus moment too. Thank you for the sweet comment!

###### said...

great images you have found! love them all.

Kara said...

I think we could all use a break from this winter and move on to spring!

Marija said...

I keep coming back to look at that third image - I am stealing it for inspiration for our basement with it's dark walls and boring big sectional. I love that the citrus pops blend in so well but can easily be replaced if I get tire of them. Okay, maybe I wouldn't swap out a citrus-hued womb chair and ottoman on a whim but you know what I mean :)

Great inspiration! Marija

lady macleod said...

Lovely! I really like the play room. It is a nice contrast to the weather outside.

Nichole said...

I was just looking at my CB2 catalog yesterday and loving all the color. Thanks for the inspiration photos.

Laura@JourneyChic said...

The bathroom and bedroom are my favorites! I like how the black elements in both keep it looking sleek and not childish.

Jenn @ Dear Heart said...

Love how sunny these rooms are, and I agree the natural accents help keep everything in check.

pixelimpress said...

wow, i just realized i have none of this color in my home. hmmm. but i totally adore the chartreuse mosaic glass tiles in that bath. but yes, it definitely needs grounded with the black.

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Love that playroom!!! Fun post.

xo,
cristin

Vanessa@decor happy said...

Love the playroom and family room. Much needed sunny inspiration on these cold, snowy days.

Maureen Stevens said...

You know I love lime green! The tip is so right on, mix with lots of whites & organic touches!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails