Monday, February 8, 2010

Sneak Peak of My Next Project


In an effort to stick to my self-imposed decorating schedule, I thought I'd go ahead and post the "before" photos of a project that I hope to complete in the next few weeks. Last month I scored this great Hollywood Regency-style dresser off eBay for a fraction of the price of a new sideboard and after some simple upgrades (paint, hardware), I think this piece is going to be a real show stopper in Dave's study. [By the way, if you're in the market for vintage furniture, the seller TS & Company has a great selection of Hollywood Regency, Chinoiserie and MCM furniture available at their eBay store. Right now I have my eye on this pair of end tables.]

One of my major criteria when buying furniture off eBay or Craigslist is to stick with well-known brands. For example, this piece is by Thomasville so I had a pretty good idea ahead of time (a) the quality of the piece and (b) what a reasonable price would be for this item. Other brands to look for when shopping for furniture include Hickory Chair, Drexel Heritage and Baker. All of these companies have been in business for years, manufacture their products here in the U.S. and can be relied upon for consistently producing high quality, long lasting pieces. Another major rule for buying vintage online is to look for pieces where the seller has provided a lot of photos and a detailed description not just of the piece, but of its condition. It's best to know every major flaw before you bid. Another tip: get a shipping quote ahead of time (most dealers will provide this for you upon request). I've made the mistake in the past of bidding on (and winning) a "great deal" only to see that deal look not-so-sweet once I caught wind of what it was going to cost to ship.


Besides its chic faux-bamboo detailing on the outside, one of the primary reasons I picked this piece was for all it had going on inside. The ample storage (the dresser comes with 11 drawers in total!) should be enough to hold all of Dave's many collections and files with some room to spare while the best pieces will hold pride of place on the top. If I had my druthers, I'd also put a pair of these derrick tower lamps atop it (not only do I like the shape and the antique brass finish, but they seem rather fitting given Dave's job as an engineer at a major oil field services company):


Alas though, Dave wasn't as ardent a fan. But back to the task at hand....My plan is to repaint the sideboard in a high-gloss red-orange, something along the lines of this foo dog:



The bold red-orange will make a serious impact against the dark teal walls and, since Dave isn't afraid of color, this will be an excellent opportunity to play with a color combination that I've been wanting to try ever since I saw this Houston study (designed by Rob Southern) in House Beautiful:



I'm thinking Benjamin Moore's Tomato Red might be the right shade, but I'll need to see it in the context of the wall color (Benjamin Moore's Slate Teal) to know for sure.



The one decision left to be made though is the hardware. I'm currently debating whether or not to try and refinish the existing hardware to restore the existing brass hardware or install new hardware altogether -- what do you think? Should I try and polish these babies back to their former glory or remove them in favor of some more modern hardware?

28 comments:

Karen said...

That is a really great piece! I'll be looking forward to the unveiling of the finished product. I kind of like the existing hardware, but I could see you taking it in another direction too. Either way, the piece is great.

Unknown said...

Love this new project of yours. I would go with some new hardware, going along with the Asian feel of the piece, rectangular, antique brass or black, less ornate.
Good luck!

Aesthetic Oiseau said...

I love this piece! What a find! Hmmm...I wonder how the hardware will look all nice and shiny? I might opt for more modern hardware, but it might look really nice once it's polished...maybe clean and see?

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I just went to look at this seller on ebay. Oh, I am so excited to have found them, thanks!
This piece has stunning potential, if I were you I'd probably shine up the original hardware first, then if that doesn't provide the look you are after then find new hardware. Just a thought. Looking forward to seeing the afters!
Janell

Kathysue said...

Love the piece!! Great find. I also like the harware but it would be easier to buy new and might give it a fresh new look. Hard to say on this one. The detailing looks pretty cool but the shape looks a bit too traditonal. Almost contrived. I know what ever you do it will look amazing. Good for you for taking on this project. Kathysue

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

I love it!! Wow, that's going to look amazing when you're finished - I can't wait for the big reveal! I do love how you guys aren't afraid to go bold - very inspiring. :) (You might want to check out Jenny's credenza for a little extra inspiration - it's dynamite! http://littlegreennotebook.blogspot.com/2009/10/office.html)

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see the results!

Pretty Lovely said...

The orange color you have selected is just perfect and so much fun. I can not wait to see the finishing product. Good luck!

xx,
Samantha @PrettyLovely

Samantha said...

Looks like a fabulous piece.

Kara said...

I think new hardware but don't get rid of the old. Save it for another project down the road. I can't wait to see this project completed!!

I like the idea of red with the teal too.

Sogni e Sorrisi said...

Great find and I love your colour ideas! I think I would go for new hardware.

Laura@JourneyChic said...

This is such a cool piece! I recommend removing one piece of hardware and trying to restore it using cleaner/polish. If it doesn't turn out well, but you like the shape of the hardware, you can always spray-paint the hardware (like you did to your bathroom stool). I used this approach with my grandma's bureau, and after cleaning, then spray-painting, I realized that new hardware was the way to go. By then I was confident in my decision!

Kristina at The Purple Pea said...

Oh this is going to be good!!! I can't wait to see the result! I always love a good makeover!

Sarah said...

Oooh, sounds fun! Can't wait to see:)

Unknown said...

what a great score! with all that detail (campaign-like corners, bamboo edges, chinoiserie center) i'd love to see it with simpler hardware. maybe something like these?

http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/191617.htm

i can't wait to see what you come up with!

Sanity Fair said...

Averill, you are an inspiration with your projects. And I cannot WAIT to see the teal/tomato combination - your husband is a sweetheart to go for it :) Thanks for the tip on that ebay store - any others you'd recommend? They have great stuff!

Averill said...

DD: I think that hardware might be perfect!

I love the hardware on the corners of the desk -- I wonder if I can get them back to the same shine as these brass pulls?

FROM THE RIGHT BANK said...

I can already picture this in that red-orange! It's going to be divine! I say try keeping that hardware - it looks really interesting and in pretty good shape. Go, Averill!

Emily A. Clark said...

Oh my goodness! This project is making me giddy :) What a great find. Cannot wait to see it in red!

walrus studio said...

Love it!! You'll make it perfect, I'm sure. I just saw a bamboo desk at a vintage store and almost got it.

Jenn @ Dear Heart said...

Awesome find! I would go with new hardware though. I also kind of love the derrick lamps. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Beth Connolly said...

Can't wait-looks fabulous!

Kitty said...

Oooh la la. That will be the bomb in orange. Tell me, dear Averill, do you have 12 clones of yourself or what? I think you probably get more done in one day than I accomplish in a week! xo kitty

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Great Score!!! I would see if you can find new hardware that fits the existing holes, otherwise just work with what's there. It's going to be fantastic either way. btw...Bambi was not harmed at my house...you are so funny!

alison giese Interiors said...

That is a brilliant find - kudos to your Ebay research SKILZ! I also happen to think your choice of tomato red is pretty spectacular, but I'm a tad biased! ;)
Try restoring the existing hardware, and go from there - it may turn out they look great, and you'll stay true to the piece.

alison giese Interiors said...

Averill:
Regarding the hardware - I just remembered there's a metal refinishing shop in The Heights I used several times when we lived in H-town. If your restoration attempts don't pan out, it's always another option to have the original hardware replated. Let me know if you need more deets.
alison g.

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous piece! I'm really looking forward to seeing it in orange - love that. As far as the hardware, I think either would work.

Unknown said...

I had so much fun browsing through that EBAY store. What other great EBAY furniture stores do you know about that you can share?
Thanks!
smhinckley@yahoo.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails