Monday, February 15, 2010

Weekend Update: Going Turquoise


This past weekend Dave and I decided to perk up our dreary (and windowless) guest bathroom with a bright punch of color. I've been itching to go really bold with paint in the new house and decided this secondary bath would be the perfect spot for some serious experimentation. I selected Capri Seas from Benjamin Moore, which is a classic turquoise, a perfect balance between blue and green. All in all, I like how the paint really brightens the small bathroom, especially the interior shower-area which was dangerously dark. Nevertheless, such a bold color does take some getting used to and I'm hoping the overall effect is more beachy than kiddie...but the great thing about paint is that it's a choice easily changed should I decide in a few months that it's just too much. For now though, I think it's fun and I love how it really makes the white trim and vanity pop (despite them being pretty builder-basic).

Last time I used Benjamin Moore, I went with their zero-VOC paint (Natura), but this time selected their low-VOC version (Ben) just to see if I could tell any difference. And I did. The Aura paint is all but odorless and, while the Ben paint is significantly less toxic-smelling than regular latex paint, it still had a noticeably unpleasant odor -- not a good thing when you're working in a small, confined space without any ventilation.

We also updated the vanity area by swapping out the large, frameless mirror with a slick white version of the Hutton Mirror from Restoration Hardware. We used the same mirrors (but in the espresso stain) in our last house (see HERE) and I can't say good enough things about them. Not only are they extremely well-made and easy to install (the mounting hardware even comes with a built-in leveler), but these mirrors are also well-priced.

24 comments:

KLSgolf said...

Love the color!!! PS this is Jess :)

Unknown said...

Love! So crisp and fresh and fun!
Nice job!

Sanity Fair said...

This was such a great color choice Averill! And I really like it with the pop of white on the mirror. Forget the lack of windows - that's this rooms advantage! Go stand in there when the winter blahs get to you :)

Christy said...

Oh I absolutely LOVE the results Averill - it is so striking, and upbeat, and cheerful AND yes, beachy! I'm bookmarking it so I can use this color the next time we paint a bathroom - oh so pretty!!!

Sarah said...

Looks great! And I love the print on the wall!

Samantha said...

It really makes the trim stand out.

Kara said...

Love it! Such a pretty color.

Poindexter said...

very crisp and cheerful. I've been considering a muted version of that color on a piece of furniture in the bedroom. Just for a little brightness.

Laura@JourneyChic said...

I love the bold choice! You're right, making it seem less "kiddie" is all the in the accessories. Our guest bath is a bright, minty green left from the previous owners, and when we moved in I desperately wanted to paint it. However, after installing a white medicine cabinet, our modern shower curtain with blues, greens, and whites, and white-framed paintings from a Bahamas vacation it looks great. It's still bright, but hey - it wakes me up in the morning. :)

Nichole said...

I like the turquoise and the artwork. Was the wall behind the builder's mirror damaged at all?

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Yay yay!!! Your guest bathroom just made me smile. :) Wouldn't some yellow (or orange or green) lattice-print hand towels be cute? I'm loving how your home is coming along!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

You are fearless and fun!!! Love that you used a b&w sketch for your artwork too.

alison giese Interiors said...

Totally perfect! I don't read it as either juvenile or beachy - I think it has a rather classic quality to it. Well done!

Emily A. Clark said...

Such a fun punch of color! You've inspired me to get on the ball in our powder room. It's still that awful flat builder beige paint and it's killing me!

Lovely Little Nest said...

What a fun color! :)

Dumbwit Tellher said...

It gives the room personality. I love it Averill. It just feels good to make such a transformation in a space. I love small baths; you feel like you can make a big statement easily. Fabulous color.

X deb

Marija said...

Ditto the hutton mirror praise. This really is a good, crisp turquoise. Nice work! Marija

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

I agree that the accessories really help keep it adult. I think the use of bold color is great. And thanks for the link back to the source on the mirrors. I am re-doing my daughter's bathroom and new mirrors are in the plan....plus a fun paris toile wallpaper!

spark! (Ada-Marie) said...

Looks great! I love that mirror -- we are looking to do the same thing with our builder-grade, frameless, blah bathroom mirrors. The turquoise looks fab!

FROM THE RIGHT BANK said...

It's so fun! And I love how bold and decisive you are, Averill! I did a similar thing with our last powder room - I painted a hot pink - but haven't had the nerve to do anything like it since. :)

Sarah Klassen said...

Love the change, Averill! The perfect solution to your dark room. I love the cheerfulness of it the crisp color combination. (great artwork too, I might add)

Maureen Stevens said...

It's definitely beachy! and I love the white accents! adore Averill!

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

What a huge difference...I just love turquoise! xx

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

The colour really pops! Have a great weekend.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails