Friday, January 22, 2010

I want more Shade

I thought I'd leave you this weekend with some images of the very, very cool Harlem home of designer Roderick N. Shade. Shade's home is the kind of place that makes me want to know the owner/designer -- after all, any man who can embrace fuchsia like Shade did (or who even has a name like Shade!) must be fabulous.

Shade's tiny 550 square-foot apartment was featured in this month's Architectural Digest and I think it might be the first spread in AD that I've actually been inspired by. [Every month when my AD arrives, I'm typically just reminded how inadequate it is as a replacement for domino and do little more than half-heartedly flip through it before putting it in the recycling bin.] By sticking to a (hopelessly hip) color palette of khaki, white and fuchsia throughout the tiny apartment, Shade creates a sense of cohesion and increases the visual space as each room flows seamlessly into the next. I also love how he was able to take a tiny, cramped, poorly lit hallway and make a real showstopper out of it. In many ways, it's my favorite part of the apartment.

Many of the furnishings were repurposed flea market (and even dumpster!) finds. It just goes to show you what a little paint and fabric can do. Suddenly a seen-better-days chair is the highlight of the entire room. I also think one of the keys to the success of this space is that all the furniture is appropriately sized for a small room -- there's no big, monstrous sectional taking up all the visual (and literal) space. I also like that by keeping all the furniture low to the ground, the room appears taller, and thus larger.

With the metallic sheen on the fabrics, plush pink carpeting and matching floor-to-ceiling drapes, this room evokes a hip downtown lounge vibe that makes me want to kick of my heels, grab a cocktail (or two) and kick back

Like Beth over at Chinoiserie Chic, I love the idea of using a screen as a headboard and this pink one is a real show stopper. With a little paint and ingenuity, Shade created a wonderful fuchsia trompe l'oeil ceiling medallion around a simple and inexpensive Japanese paper lantern and I think it really makes the room. I also love the white bedding with the pink and chocolate brown stripes -- I wonder if Shade made these himself or bought them as-is?

All told, Shade spent just under $23,000 to completely gut, renovate and furnish his home. Shade's website (currently under construction) promises potential clients that they will "experience world-class design that's astonishingly affordable and joyously collaborative". If his own home is any indication, I have little doubt that Shade will deliver on this promise.

16 comments:

Kitty said...

Averill, I love it. Must have more flamingoes. So Alice in Wonderland! I once tried the screen as a headboard trick. It looked cool, but often sleep thrashing would cause it to tumble down onto our heads.... I am so form over function, so it had to go! xo kitty

Kathysue said...

Mr Shade has a lot to say with his decor. How bright and absolutely whimsical and fun. Makes one smile. Kathysue

NoraC said...

Wow! Great post! I have a Japanese lantern hanging over my sofa in the living room. I've been wanting to hang three in the dining room over my French table and in my guest room. I was afraid I would be over doing it. So, I'm glad to see that Shade has them in various rooms. I'm validated!

alison giese Interiors said...

That apartment is INSANE! In a clever, can't-believe-I-can-handle-it kind of way. Some people's ability to make the most of space is incredible!

Christy said...

I agree with you about this magazine, and this article. It was the only one I read all the way the through, before putting the magazine in the recycle bin. I had a question while reading it though - it read like he RENTS this place?! Is that what you thought too? That he doesn't even own it?

Southern Aspirations said...

Very fun! Love the space. The stripes on the wall in the hallway are what get me the most...

Beth Connolly said...

Thanks for the mention of Chinoiserie Chic. So true about AD-every issue I am saddened for the trees that gave their lives for this useless magazine. This is a rare exception.

lady macleod said...

As usual, a visit to your site is a visual treat.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I'm with you on your appraisal of AD, rarely am I inspired. The section listing estates for sale is really the only part of the magazine I look forward to. This inclusion does seem like a departure, perhaps they are making a shift.
Janell

Sanity Fair said...

Wow - I love it all, but the lantern lined hallway is my favorite. That would be so inexpensive to do, too! This reminds me a little of the Jonathan Adler barbie house - in a GOOD way.
I'm doing some redesign in green and white right now - maybe I should add pink pop to the mix?

Patricia Shepard said...

Tickles me PINK!

Averill said...

Christy = the article DOES imply that he's only renting. Maybe the landlord paid for some of the structural renovations (kitchen, flooring, etc.)? If not, it does seem like a waste, unless he's planning on living there long-term.

Kellie Collis said...

Me too - i had these at my weddings and everyone adored them!! x

Sarah said...

hi Averill, great pics!!

Check out my blog today, I just passed an award to you!

Jenn @ Dear Heart said...

Wow, no WAY that was in AD. I seriously cannot believe it. The paper lantern hall is definitely an idea worth stealing.

Laura@JourneyChic said...

I find it funny that "dorm room" accessories like the paper lantern are showing up more and more. I've been trying to get rid of my old butterfly chair, and then saw the post about them on Elements of Style last week. I never thought those would be considered chic, but clearly I was wrong!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails