Monday, March 30, 2009

Reader Contest over at Elements of Style

Erin at Elements of Style (one of the first decor blogs I got hooked on) is having a great reader contest going on all week. Readers are invited to submit mood boards for rooms inspired by one of Erin's favorite domino spaces. One lucky winner will receive a copy of domino: The Book of Decorating. Erin is accepting entries through Friday so if you're feeling creative -- or just want to kill some time web-shopping -- hop on over to HERE and get styling.

I took the day off from work on Friday and, in an effort to kill time while Dave watched basketball, decided to try my hand at styling a room based on this living room:

I submitted the following mood board inspired by the living room pictured above:

So what do y'all think? One of Erin's specific requirements was that items must be budget-friendly (a rather loose concept since she didn't specify whose budget we're talking about) and available for direct purchase (i.e., no "to the trade only pieces"). As an amateur myself, I am never able to score trade-only pieces, though perhaps that will change should I ever befriend an interior decorator/designer. As for budget, I tried to generally adhere to my own: i.e., smaller items need to be relatively inexpensive while larger furniture pieces are what I would term "mid-level" (i.e., I generally go for Ballard Designs, Pottery Barn or Crate&Barrel in lieu of Target or IKEA for items that I want to last, but avoid Williams-Sonoma Home or Restoration Hardware absent a good sale). I recognize for some folks these items are not wallet-friendly, but compared to most budgets for professional interior design projects, I was being positively cheap.

If you end up submitting to Erin's contest, don't forget to share! I'd love to see what other blog readers come up with.


Jane said...

I'm not sure "budget friendly" = $340 on Foo Dogs. Just a thought.

lady macleod said...

nicely done. I really like the chairs, very cozy.

Averill said...

JB: Foo Dogs come as a set, so they're only $170! ;)

Liz said...

Your mood board is spot-on!! I'm totally impressed, and the navy sofa you found is gorgeous. P.S. Thanks so much for your comment on TYH - you rock!! :)

Averill said...

Liz -- No problem; your blog is great!

Jamie Sava said...

The Foo Dogs are also at Z Gallerie and Pier One.

Averill said...

Jamie -- Good tip! CB2 also has a very affordable pair (but in red-orange).

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails