Thursday, March 26, 2009
It took me a few minutes of staring at this photo to pick up on the subtle safari vibe in this room and I really like it. I'm particularly fond of the exotic paisley fabric on the ottoman, which works well with the larger-scale paisley on the roman blind and the safari-inspired artwork over the desk. The subtle safari-theme is carried throughout the space with the zebra-print throw pillows, grass cloth wallpaper and white ceramic elephant sitting in the built-in. Painting the backs of the built-ins such a dark olive brown is really a masterful touch and really makes the contents pop. Finally, the bold hexagonal rug pictured in this study (similar to the one used in the blue sitting room above) and is reminiscent of David Hicks and a really unexpected touch -- the modern pattern really livens up otherwise very traditional decor.
I never get tired of a red room. I love how the black and white photography hung salon-style really pops on the red wall. While muted furnishings allow the red wall to take center stage, the varied patterns really help balance such a strong statement. It takes a lot of confidence to blend ikat, greek key, cheetah and florals, but I think Ashley really pulls off the mix here. What do you think? Note again Ashley's use of a pair of ottomans -- they add extra seating, but their lower profile keeps the smallish room less visually cluttered.
While I love a lot of color, there is just something so relaxing about an all-white bathroom. I love how the tub looks built-in here and the lantern and sconces are just stunning. The combination of open and closed storage here is also really well done. It really helps make the bathroom look spacious -- despite the small footprint.
If you like Ashley's style, here are a key few pieces you'll need to get a bit of her look at home:
1. Savannah Armchair & Ottoman ($399-$799) from Pottery Barn
2. Ceramic elephant ($29) from West Elm
3. Safari Crewel Pillow Cover ($24.99) from Pottery Barn
4. X-bench in Ashanti (as shown, $251) from Ballard Designs
5. Madura Pillow Collection ($85-$150) from John Robshaw
6. Chinese Garden Stools ($129) from Wisteria
7. Jute Diamond Rug ($299 for 9' x 12') from West Elm
8. Weston Round Pendant (from $579) from Restoration Hardware
9. Tala and Scramble fabrics by Annie Selke in Blue Marine ($26.09 per yard) from Calico Corners
10. Capri Teardrop Lamp ($275) from Jonathan Adler