Friday, December 3, 2010

Meet Matilda!


I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of our family: Matilda, a 3.5 month old miniature dachshund!

After the loss of our dear Olivia in October, Dave and I thought long and hard about whether or not we wanted another dog, especially since we're expecting a baby in just a few short months. Ultimately, however, we decided that, if we did want another dog, it was "now or never," as the chaos that accompanies a newborn would inevitably delay getting another dog for several years and that the sooner we could get another dog and get her trained prior to the baby's arrival, the better. Yes, we've been warned that getting another dog (especially a puppy) would only add to our stress levels, but in truth we both felt like our house just wasn't complete without a canine companion and that, like children, the joy of having a dog far outweighs the negatives.

So we've brought home Matilda. While the process of house breaking her has been some serious work (and yes, both Dave and I have lost some sleep), we're well on our way to having a charming, well-trained pup by the time of Baby Boy Conn's arrival in early March. And, perhaps more importantly, she's done so much to keep our minds off of the loss of Olivia. It's been such a blessing to have a lovable, affectionate dog to come home to again. Of course, I'll always miss Olivia, always wish that she had been able to live to a ripe old age, but Matilda has already taught me that there's room in my heart for more than one dog.

P.S. - Stay turned next week for updates on both the status of the backyard makeover and the master bedroom makeover! A ton of progress has been made that I can't wait to share with y'all. In the meantime, happy weekend!

27 comments:

Rashon Carraway said...

She's beautiful! I am considering another little one. Make sure you send us more pictures!

Mr. Goodwill Hunting
http://mrgoodwillhunting.blogspot.com

Christy said...

Matilda is ADORABLE! Are those rhinestones I spy on her name tag? Too freaking cute!

PS I'm so glad you turned the comments back on!

I can't wait to see the big reveals next week.

Fran said...

Happy Weekend, Averill! So happy you got Matilda - she's a cutie! Looking forward to your reveals next week!

Tiffany {Savor Home} said...

She is absolutely PRECIOUS! Congrats. Looking forward to the master bedroom update!

Mary Catherine said...

Welcome Matilda! She is so precious!

Anonymous said...

welcome Matilda :) She is adorable and sure to be a wonderful companion for many years to come.

I just said goodbye to my own big guy Edgar yesterday and my heart is so heavy. Even though we have 3 other dogs and a kitty, the house just seems so much bigger, emptier.

Hope you are feeling well and have plenty of energy to coast through the holidays. Thankfully the weekend is supposed to be sunny and warm. A blessing.

Laura@JourneyChic said...

OMG, she's so cute!!! And given that she's already discovered your Greek key throw, it's clear that she has champagne taste. :)

Julie said...

She's precious! Yeah, dogs are a lot of work, but like you said, the benefits far outweigh the negatives. And I can't imagine a home w/o a canine in it.

Fran said...

So, Averill, it just dawned on me and I have to ask - are the names Matilda & Olivia from the 'Olivia' book series by Ian Falconer?

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

I am in love with her!!! Enjoy the weekend with your sweet pup!

Unknown said...

Oh, what an adorable puppy!!! WIthout a doubt, getting the dog now was the right call. I can tell how happy you are about having her and she will be the sweetest companion until the baby arrives!!!

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Oh, I am so happy for you. I cannot imagine a home without our pup. My beagle "General" is 12 and getting old yet is so patient with our daughter. It will be fun to have the energy of a puppy as your little boy grows. Happy weekend.

bazaarofserendipity said...

she is adorable! they are great loving dogs!

AUDENI said...

She's beautiful!!!
The congratulations of Brazil.
I love dogs.

Audeni
www.donamocinhadobrasil.blogspot.com

walrus studio said...

she's adorable!!

Things That Inspire said...

What a wonderful addition to the family! You are a brave soul - taking on a puppy while in your last trimester of pregnancy! As you say, the positives far outweigh the temporary inconvenience.

When I had my second child, my first child was in the middle of potty training - it was torture. I think it is a great idea that you are getting the toughest months of puppyhood under your belt before the new arrival!

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

How adorable is she?! Welcome Matilda!

Unknown said...

Congratulations she is adorable! No doubt she will help to mend your healing hearts and keep the memory of Olivia alive. Can't wait to see your makeover photos!
xx

Kara said...

How exciting!! Can't wait to get to know Matilda. :)

René said...

Oh Averill, Matilda is such a sweetie! In my opinion, you did the right thing and at the perfect time. Matilda will be an old pro by the time Conn makes an appearance.

-Rene

*Chic Provence* said...

Well hello Matilda! you are one lucky little one to have found Averill and Dave!

xoxo

Kit

Samantha said...

Awww. What a little cutie pie.

LindsB said...

YEAH, congrats on the newest member of your family!! She is beyond cute and I LOVE HER NAME!! I have been in love with that name FOREVER, it might just be tops on my list actually :)

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

She is darling! xo, c

Sarah said...

OMG, she's so cute!!!! Love her name! Good for you and Dave, so happy that you went for it:)

Sarah Klassen said...

How sweet! Oh, Averill, I opened your page and this picture was like sunshine on a miserable day. So so sweet -- congratulations on the new (and might I add very cute) addition to your family.... fabulous* and also, thank you so much for your lovely comments,

xoxo

Kallie said...

Sweet Matilda! What a cutie! Love the name :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails