Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Master Bedroom Design: Progress Report


It's been a few months now since I first posted about my plans for our master bedroom, but I promise that I didn't forget about it, despite my baby haze. In fact, real progress has been made towards achieving my initial vision and I'm excited to share the changes the room has undergone in recent weeks.


I've swapped out our queen size bed with a larger king. I selected a modern, black version of a Shaker pencil post bed from Ethan Allen to help fill up some of the vertical space in the room. I had initially considered getting the canopied version of this bed and leaving the canopy frame bare, but ultimately decided to go with the four-poster (though it can always be converted to a canopy later fairly inexpensively).


My almost all-white bedding also got traded out with far more colorful peacock dove bedding from DwellStudio. For me, this is the change that really makes the room...well, make sense. The print brings out the blue-gray of the walls, the metallic slate gray of the ceiling and even the black of the bed frame. The print's modern take on Chinoiserie helps tie in the existing Japanese woodblock art above the bed. In short, the bedding looks like I picked it out first (rather than vice versa, which I'll admit was a bit ass backward of me but no matter...) and based the entire room around it.


The other major change in this space is that I replaced the too small, matchy-matchy side tables with a larger side table and long dresser. Initially, I had planned on going with all-mirrored options, but ultimately selected these white and mirrored babies from ZGallerie's Concerto line for two big reasons: (a) I am way too type-A to not let smudged mirrors get to me -- and, let's face it, they'd inevitably get smudged, cracked, etc. with a new puppy and a baby on the way; and (b) these pieces were way, way cheaper than the ones I had initially chosen. As an added bonus, I got them in just a few short weeks instead of the typically 8-12 week lag of more expensive furniture. I was a bit concerned about quality given the relatively low price and the fact that I'd never purchased ZGallerie furniture before, but I'm happy to report that these are both very solid, well built pieces that look far more expensive than they actually were.

So what's left? Well, I still need to trade in my drab, too small 5 x 8' rug for a larger, punchier 6 x 9'. I'll still mulling over whether or not I am going to go for the Madeline Weinrib Greek key, which means I should probably keep looking to find something I love even more. I'm also in desperate need for large-scale art or a screen (or something!) for the wall across from the bed. Replacing the sleigh bed freed up more floor space as this four-poster sits tightly against the wall, so I'll also be looking for a deep bench or maybe even a small sofa for the foot of the bed. Finally, fixed drapery panels on either side of the windows will add the finishing touch to the space. Of course, I'll keep you posted, but I can't guarantee much more progress before Baby Boy Conn's arrival in early March!

16 comments:

Laura@JourneyChic said...

It's looking great! I think that dresser and nightstand are a great compromise, and look more man-friendly than all-mirrored versions. The bedding is fabulous and I like that it carries the Chinoiserie theme up from the living room. nice!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Averill you changes in your master are terrific. The difference with the 4-poster Ethan Allan bed is amazing. I've always wanted a 4-poster bed and you have inspired me. Hope you are doing very well and sending you much holiday cheer!

Danielle Sigwalt Interiors said...

Lovin' the dresser and nightstand!!! Looks fantastic!

Christy said...

It's looking awesome Averill! Love that you went with two different bedside options. And I don't know - the Weinrib greek pattern rug would look great in there! Maybe since you're still thinking about it you should just go for it! (Of course I say that because I want that rug and want to see how it looks in your house! Ha!) Great update!!

Unknown said...

I absolutely love those changes! I have a king size four poster from EA ad we have been happy with it, all kids regularly joining us in the mornings, so it gets plenty of abuse.... and still standing!
Also the bedside solution look fabulous!
Especially the dresser is lovely!
I am sure the carpet will be a hit!
I would suggest perhaps some larger bed side lamps...
Hope you are doing well!
Holiday cheer to you!
V.

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

I"m loving the progress!! You're right, the mirrored bedside table/dresser are a great alternative and add a bit of sparkle, and I'm loving your bedding. And I'd love to live vicariously through you if you do a settee or sofa at the end of the bed!!

Samantha said...

Wow. It's so stylin'. The bed is great.

Acanthus and Acorn said...

It's looking so good! And, you are so smart to get this done before the baby arrives so you have a wonderful, peaceful refuge!!!

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

I've long admired that comforter pattern in that colourway. Beautiful!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

The hardwoods are gorgeous and I like how the space to the right of the bed has been filled with the longer dresser, takes advantage of all the room available. You will appreciate all the work you've done in here when the baby arrives!
Janell

lady macleod said...

It looks very nice, well done.

San Francisco maids said...

I like the changes you have made except maybe for the bed. Is it done already? With the 4 bedposts, it looks unfinished..waiting for something to be added to it.

René said...

Your changes look nice Averill and aren't you clever to provide a side by side photo that shows the bedside table arrangement? It is always a challenge to photograph this space. Your dark floors are gorgeous.

-Rene

Karen said...

It's coming along beautifully. Isn't it funny how your priorities change when you conceive? Hope you are feeling well Averill.

Julie at Belle Vivir said...

It's looking lovely.

Mary Elizabeth Liberty said...

HI, I just wanted to know how tall your mattress plus boxspring are, I just ordered the same bed and am wondering if the headboard will show with a 20 inch total mattress plus boxspring...

tHanks!

Mary

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails