Monday, July 26, 2010

Master Bedroom Design: The Beginning

Now that I've completed (or nearly completed) decorating our family room, I'm turning my attention to our master bedroom. Since any great "after" needs a "before", this is what I'm starting with right now. No, it's not bad -- and I am still very fond of the wall color (Farrow & Ball's Parma Gray, which is really more blue than anything), but it feels...imcomplete and just not as "wow" as I'd like it to be.

While the furniture and accessories from our old house were working just fine from a functional standpoint, the much larger scale of this room made things a bit awkward from a design standpoint. Not only is there a lot of wasted space, but the queen-size bed, two small rugs and tiny end tables look positively pint-sized. Hardly the cozy, sophisticated look I'm going for in the room.

So what am I keeping? Quite a few things actually: the paint color, the Japanese wood block prints, the Jonathan Adler lamps, the clean lined grey linen armchair and the very cool wingback chair I had reupholstered a few years ago in a fun Mod Green Pod damask. Everything else is going. The bedroom set I'm actually selling to my sister to help offset the costs of the redo. If you're interested in either of the rugs (a 2.5' x 9' wool runner and a 5' x 8' wool rug, both from Pottery Barn and in excellent shape) or the tall silver candlestick lamp, email me and I'd be happy to quote you a great price and provide more pictures.

In any case, after swapping out my existing bed, side tables, dresser and rug, the new floor plan will look something like this:

As you can see, a larger (king size) bed and (6 x 9') rug go a long way towards filling out the space. I also decided that swapping out a side table for a long, low dresser would further maximize the long wall opposite the door (and, I'll be honest, give me tons of space to stack all my books and magazines). So, armed with this general space plan, I set about looking for the specific pieces that would not only suit the space, but bring in some much-needed luxury and glamour.

I like to start a design out with a single, amazing element that ties everything together -- and that something is usually fabric or a rug for me. Having a one truly wonderful print or piece as a jumping off point makes design a room so much easier. After seeing a whole lot of things I just felt lukewarm about, I stumbled on DwellStudio's new peacock dove duvet a few weeks ago and realized that it was exactly what I was looking for. Not only does it pull in both the gray and blue tones of the existing paint, but it also brings in a wonderful Chinoiserie pattern that will play off beautifully with my existing artwork and the more modern choices I'll be making in furniture. And once I found my inspiration, everything else just seemed to quickly fall into place:

First off: the bed. The focal point of any bedroom and my first big "want" for this room. I decided to go with a spare, modern canopy in a dark wood stain to add some volume and strong architectural lines, both to create a cozy, "room within a room" effect and to provide a strong visual frame for the fussier, more feminine pattern. The too small 5' x 8' rug will be swapped out for a 6' x 9', which will enable me to comfortably fit two chairs on the rug itself rather than having them awkwardly hang half on/half off. When I saw this Madeline Weinrib rug's quatrefoil and greek key design, I felt like it was just meant to be. The darker gray will also play off of the darker gray ceiling, further tying the room together and enhancing the cozy feeling I'm going for.

Next, I'd like to do away with the heavy, dark wood side tables and dresser and replace them with some much more glamorous pieces. To up the glam factor, both pieces will be mirrored, and a great, bold contrast to the dark frame of the bed. Nestled between the grey linen chair and my wing chair will be a gorgeous greek key silver table that I picked up on the cheap from One Kings Lane to replace the heavy wood pedestal table and bring in yet another element of sparkle (and yes, even more greek key!). And finally: my big "wish" (and major splurge) would be the silver bamboo tufted bench for the foot of the bed. Given it's cost, I'll be holding off for either a sale or a finding a great lookalike.

Finally, I'll be adding curtain panels to frame out and soften the wall of windows and add some additional art (or maybe a screen?) on the wall across the bed to help balance out the room more. I'm ordering some wallpaper samples (including this one from Osborne & Little shown above) and may end up using one of the patterns to create a large triptych. Regardless, I'll keep you posted!

P.S. - I'd like to apologize for my sporadic posting of the past few weeks -- and even more sporadic reading/commenting on all my favorite blogs. There have been a lot of new (and good) developments both at work and at home that have kept me a bit distracted, but I promise to get back to blogging in earnest very shortly!

31 comments:

Unknown said...

So happy to see that the JA lamps will be staying ;) I love what you have in the works! What program do you use for the layout?

Alicia said...

Ahhh the Horchow bench. I understand your wish to find one similar. If you do let me know cause I adore it too.
Its going to be gorgeous. I can;t wait to see more...
and I sooo understand the blog thing. I've been feeling guilty too but when theres no time, there's no time.

Unknown said...

Your ideas are fantastic, A! I love that MW rug so, so much. It combines my two favorite motifs. I think your choices will look gorgeous together. I can't wait to see it when it's all finished!

Kathysue said...

Averill, this looks amazing love every single element you have chosen. I was on the Osborne &Little website today looking around. Love the selection you have made!! How fun , I think you have a great floor plan and all your ideas are beautiful, Can't wait to hear what the news is so glad it is all good, Hugs Kathysue

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Great planes for the space! Everyone is going to finish their master bedroom before I finish mine (Started back in December!). I can't wait to see the progress in the room!

hmm...distraction, huh?! Yeah I had three at one point in time;-) If that's your case woohoo!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

The duvet looks very high end and love it as the inspiration for the design. The plan is really strong and inspiring, please keep us updated on the progression of this room! And, naturally, curious about what has been distracting you! Janell

Things That Inspire said...

Exciting! Love the quatrefoil rug, and so related to the feel that it was 'meant to be' - everything that is coming to the new house with me is something I felt was 'meant to be'.

Switching from a queen to a king bed was one of the best things for my marriage! Love a king size bed.

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Averill. I love your inspiration and absolutely LOVE that rug....it is fabulous. And, I, too, have my eye on that bedding.....it is so pretty. Cannot wait to see it all come to fruition. Hope all is well on the family front.....I know what I was going through when I just couldn't find the energy to sit in front of a computer and post for a while....

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

It is going to look so good when you are done! You have picked out some really beautiful things!!

Kara said...

I love the new look!! Can't wait to see it all come together. I think the bed is fab!!!

Tammy@InStitches said...

That peacock duvet is amazing, your room is going to be so beautiful !

Poindexter said...

You have a nice sized room and it seems that your choices for furnishings will make it lovely. I adore the shiny glamorous mirrored pieces. I wouldn't be able to part with the JA lamps either. Too wonderful.

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

The mirrored side table and dresser are the piece de resistance for me - a beautiful plan, can't wait to see it all come together! (Congrats on the goodness that's going on, whatever it is!)

a blonde and a brunette said...

I'm in love with the dwell peacock bedding (considering the yellow version for my own bedding)! Can't wait to see how your rooms turns out!

Mandi Smith T said...

Love the selections you have made for your master. I just posted a tip on my website about closests, so this is on my mind at the moment. This is clever installation that would look amazing using that fabu wallpaper you selected. Here is the link. http://www.houzz.com/photos/27871/dominomag--eclectic-pastel-living-room-eclectic-living-room-
Totally dresses up the closet area and would bring some pattern to the other side of the room.
Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

This design is beautiful. I love the mirrored dressers and the little round table. Great choices - I can't wait to see the room when it is finished.

Kelly@40isthenew30

Samantha said...

Can't wait to see the results.

(As far as blogging and commenting, your bad weeks are better than my good weeks.)

Christy said...

Oh my gosh I am so excited for you. What gorgeous choices you've made - and I'm sure it will all come together beautifully! I hope you share with you what the good developments are...my interest is piqued!

Nichole@40daysof said...

The plan looks beautiful. Really love the bedding.

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Great lamps and I've long admired that bedspread.

P.S. I totally thought of you when I saw those drapes. Not only the ikat you have but the greek key!

Laura@JourneyChic said...

We have that same set from PB in our master (king size)! You are so much braver than I am - I'd never have the nerve to bring in a mirrored dresser! I love how luxurious your plan is. can't wait to see how you will pull it together.

René said...

I love your plans and hearing your thoughts behind them. It will be fun to see it come together.

-Rene

Fran said...

Great design, Averill! The horchow bench is amazing and such a beautiful piece! The duvet is beautiful and all your selections work so well with your duvet. Keep us updated on your progress and can't help but be curious as to what has you distracted!! :)

Unknown said...

This looks simply amazing...from the bed to the accessories, just adore your choices and now can not wait to see your "afters"!

Erica @ Decorica said...

The mirrored chest and tufted bench made my heart skip a beat...sigh, so pretty and glam!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Hi Averill - from the Peacock Dove duvet down to all the many beautiful, well edited elements, all equal what will be a gorgeous master bedroom. What a great place to end your day and begin each new one. I say bravo!

casey at loft and cottage said...

I adore the bedding. The room is a great "blank" slate right now and your design is going to bring so much sophistication and fill in all those missing details. Lovely!

Karen said...

I love each and every element that you've selected. I love how you carried the Greek key from the rug to the small table. Could you design my room next!

Evelyn said...

I can't wait to see what you do with this room! I can see how the entire house is coming together now.

Hello Lover... said...

Beautiful! I cannot wait to see how this all turns out. I really love that dwell bedding and I really love how you are pairing the mirrored pieces with it to add some glamour. I have a feeling this is going to turn out wonderfully!

Daniela said...

Wow! I want that bed! So bad.....Can't wait to see this all come together!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails