Thursday, June 17, 2010

Shop Like a Design Blogger: Isabella and Max Rooms

I'm thrilled this week to welcome Janell of Isabella & Max Rooms here to Odi et Amo, who will be sharing with us a number of sources that are completely new to me. Janell's blog is a neverending source of eye candy for me as the steady progress she's made decorating her lovely Portland home leaves me breathless. Janell's boundless creativity and energy are so inspiring.

* * *

Thanks for asking me to participate in this wonderful series, Averill. Each week I look forward reading what resources are listed and have been introduced to some wonderful new ones as a result. As many of my favorite vendors and stores have already been mentioned, I'll attempt to list a few resources that you may be less familiar with. (With the exception of HomeGoods, which I just had to talk about!)

1~ Online Fabric Store

Talk about a generic name! I recently found this online fabric resource when looking for a better price on the Robert Allen geometric print called Cats Cradle in Papaya. Listed at $49.99 retail, this site was selling it for $15.25 a yard! You can bet I placed an order immediately!


2~
HomeGoods

If you have read my blog you know I love HomeGoods! This store is one of my favorite places to find lamps. Sometimes more than one visit is required to find just the right style waiting on the shelves. But, when you consider the savings, it is well worth the effort. And at these prices, if you don't like the color, just change it!



3~
Cielo Home

This wonderfully chic shop, located in the trendy Pearl neighborhood of Portland, is a favorite place of mine to visit for a big dose of inspiration. The owners have a great eye for mixing new finds and stunning antiques. Stores like this, found in many cities, are great places to visit for ideas on how to mix old pieces with the new to achieve an eclectic look.


4~ BetterWall

This site sells authentic street banners purchased from museums and cities after a show closes and the banners are taken off the streets. Recycling at its finest! I have a street banner from the opening of Crissy Field in San Francisco, and it is one of my favorite pieces of "art". The banners look great hung in large open spaces, but equally dramatic in a small area where the banner nearly covers the entire space.

Flying Circus, from the opening of Crissy Field celebration in San Francisco





5~ Nettleton Hollow

If a design calls for quality decorative branches, this is the place to go!



6~
French Canvas

Painting your own canvas can be a great way to bring art into a space, even if it is simply painted a favorite color. Just by having a canvas in an unusual size can make it look special. French Canvas makes quality, made to order canvases which are reasonably priced. In the bedroom below a long narrow canvas creates a dramatic focal point above the length of the headboard.


7~
RugsUsa

With many online resources for area rugs, I consistently find good styles at RugsUsa. I start my search on this site by seeing what styles Surya has to offer. Here are a couple of my current favorites.


Surya Fallon in Brown



This has certainly proven to be a popular series, Averill! Thank you for having me and I look forward to reading the next post to see what other resources people will share.

Next Week's Guest Blogger: Beth from Chinoiserie Chic.

28 comments:

Emily A. Clark said...

Great list, Janell! I'm saving BetterWall and the Online Fabric Store to my favorites now.

Erika Ward said...

Wow Averill, this is a great series...fantastic post Janell! Thanks for these resources, especially French Canvas!

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

A "street banner seller"?! What a great idea!

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

LOVE this! Thanks for the tips, Janell! Thanks for the series Averill! I'm going to check out other guests from the past. Thanks for including Janell!

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Oh, and that Cats Cradle is a hot fabric! My son wanted it as window treatments in his room in the green color way. I decided to go with another fabric, but do plan to use the papaya color as an accent!

Karen said...

Thanks for including Janell, Averill. She is one of my favorite bloggers and a super sweet and creative lady too.

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Some great resources!

1 Funky Woman said...

Janell is always awe inspiring with her ideas!

Couture Carrie said...

Gorgeous post!
Love the geo prints!

xoxox,
CC

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Fabulous post Janell! Love all the links you gave to us, expecially for the fabric!!

Have a wonderful day!
Kristin

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Thanks for having me here today, Averill!
Janell

Christy said...

Wow most of these sources are new to me - and I love the event poster one particularly! Great guest post!

Unknown said...

Such great tips here! Can you imagine I have never been to Home Goods! I know, shame on me! And this rug resource looks great! Finally, Grandma Moses...and all time favorite of mine! Thanks!

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Love Janell's blog and love these resources. The price on the Robert Allen fabric she found is below designer's net cost....definitely bookmarking that site! Love this series.

Fran said...

There are some new resources here that I am dying to check out! Great post and awesome series! Thanks!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Great list. New resources to me!

Pauline Wiles said...

Wow - I'll be checking these out, for sure. Love the sound of the banners site.

Samantha said...

Those banners are quite cool.

Design Esquire said...

I just love this series! Thanks for sharing these great resources, Janell. I'm off to check out that online fabric store!

Laura@JourneyChic said...

Those banners from BetterWall are so cool! I love the lighting selection at HomeGoods, too. I found exactly what I wanted for our master bedroom during a random trip there one day after work. My hubby was shocked at how little I spent for such good quality lamps and shades.

Dayka Robinson said...

excellent resources from janelle this week! a few of these i've never heard of, so i'm adding them to my list of resources.

Anonymous said...

Averill, I love this series! I really look forward to it each week. I love the different ideas and have clicked on and bookmarked many of the sites!

BTW, I've been reading your blog for quite a while. It was the very first design blog I started to read. My friend, reverendmother, knows your mom from Quotidian Grace, and RM sent me an email on Facebook one day last fall with a link to your blog, saying she thought I might like it. Did I ever!

A funny blogging world story: over Christmas break, I clicked on La Dolce Vita from your blog and saw a post she wrote about Sally Wheat's Christmas decorations and then read Joni's "Stalking the Wheats" post on Cote de Texas - and I was so excited because I had Sally's daughter, Sara, in my class this year, and I had no idea about her talents!

So from your mom to my friend to me to you and then to a real-life design "star"! All because of blogging!

Just thought I'd share that chain-of-connections!

Love, love, love your blog!

Kelly@40istheNew30

OneCraftyFox said...

Love the Nettleton Hollow! So modern but cozy.

Thanks so much for the nicey on my blog. Please come join my *Cupcake Challenge*, I promise it will be loads of fun!!

annechovie said...

Thanks for sharing these great sources Janell and Averill!

casey at loft and cottage said...

Great sources; thanks for sharing! I'm heading to Online Fabric Store now. So excited!

Marija said...

Some new to me sources...excited about BetterWall and Cielo Home. Yet another reason to want to visit Portland :) Great job, Janell!

Rugs USA said...

Hi Averill and readers,

Thank you for your interest in Rugs USA! We love getting feedback from all our valued shoppers. To show our appreciation, I am happy to offer you a 10% coupon which can be used on all Rugs USA items until July 4th. Use code WINRUGS at checkout. We wish you and all your readers a happy and healthy summer!

- from your friends at Rugs USA

Hello Lover... said...

I love nettleton hollow - and I cannot wait to go check out that online fabric source - thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails