Monday, June 28, 2010

Mood Board Monday

I'm kicking off this week with another Mood Board Monday courtesy of Sarah at Pewter+Sage. This round, Sarah has asked her readers to create mood boards inspired by one of three summery bedding sets. Now bedding is a great jumping off point for pulling together a bedroom and the three options Sarah proposed were all wonderful examples of that. I chose the Bohemian Medallion duvet from Urban Outfitters (featured above). I love the yellow and charcoal gray color palette and the intricate pattern, which has a lovely, exotic quality that I wanted to further incorporate into my bedroom.

With that as inspiration, I decided to create a warm, summery bedroom that reflected the duvet's more traditional print as well as its thoroughly modern color palette. But I also wanted to imbue the space with a subtle coastal vibe -- if for no better reason that it's summer and we all have vacation on the brain, but also as a challenge to create a coastal interior that does not rely on blue!

The key to creating a colorful coastal interior that does not rely on watery blues and greens is to bring in a good dose of natural textures (grasscloth, rattan, bamboo, seagrass, etc.) balanced by breezy whites. A few wonderful examples from my favorite designers include:

Robin Bell

John Willey

Phoebe Howard

Amanda Nisbet

Keeping these elements in mind, let's see how I'd go about incorporating this colorful medallion bedding into a bold (yet still soothing) coastal bedroom:

I'd start by painting the room in White Tie from Farrow & Ball, which they describe as "the white of old, pre-brightened, starched cotton" -- and I think that's a brilliant description. It's vintage-y and warm with just a touch of yellow. On the floor, I'd bring in a simple and modern gray and cream rug with a geometric print to ground the room. Curtains in a gray diamond print echo the rug's print without exactly matching it. The yellow slipper chair has a decidedly more feminine twist with its curvy spade print and elegant, spare shape. I'd echo this more feminine shape with a stunning, gray Rococo bed in a modern charcoal gray. The shape also reminds me of a shell, which I'd reference more overtly with a pair of Adler's modern shell lamps (and I love their gray shade). To balance the colorful duvet and shams, I'd stick with white sheets, which will bring in a strong dose of soothing white to the room.

To create more visual space (and keep the focus on that incredible bed), I'd bring in lucite nesting tables for side tables. This modern touch also works as a great foil to the ornate bed and intricate medallion pattern of the bedlinens, while emphasizing the on-trend gray and yellow color palette. To incorporate that textural element so essential for coastal interiors, I'd add a rattan and bamboo woven pendant (whose clean, modern shape is yet another nod to the other modern touches in the room), a grasscloth dresser (with tons of great storage to keep clutter at bay) and a jute pouf (which can perform triple duty as a side table, ottoman or extra seating). Finally, I'd bring in a few pretty and romantic accessories like the antique mercury glass vases (perfectly sized to hold one or two summer blooms) and a pretty lotus candleholder.

Source List:

Clockwise from top left: 1. Bohemian Medallion Duvet from Urban Outfitters. 2. Leran Pendant (24") from IKEA. 3. Shell Lamp from Jonathan Adler. 4. Antique Mercury Wine Bottles from Mothology. 5.Peekaboo Clear Nesting Tables from CB2. 6. 3-piece lotus candleholder from CB2. 7. Coralie Bed from Anthropologie. 8. Surya Fallon Collection FAL01 Gray Rug from Rug USA. 9. Maize Spade cotton fabric and Bark Diamond cotton fabric from Serena & Lily. 10. Avignon Chair from Serena & Lily. 11. Bungalow5 Frances Six-Drawer Dresser in White from Clayton Gray Home. 12. Jute Cube from West Elm. 13. Paint (Shown as background): White Tie from Farrow&Ball.

Be sure to check out all the other great mood boards HERE.

32 comments:

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

I love the room inspirations and I love your mood board! It's gorgeous!! I would take that bedroom any day!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I think you nailed it!! I'll take this room, and a beach house please. Janell

kristi.w. said...

This is perfect! I want to sleep in this room. Very nice work.

Dayka Robinson said...

beautiful board--i love the small dose of natural textures you chose to give it that beachy-feel, but not overboard. it's a room i'd love.

have a great week, averill!

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Looks fab! That bed is to die for.

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Oh girl this mood board is totally what I would envision for the space! Love the bed, bedding, fabrics, well...I love everything you put together!

alison giese Interiors said...

You're so money, you don't even know it! ;)

Now...could you possibly install it in my bedroom?
Absolutely gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

This bedroom would be stunning, Averill! I love your choices, especially the pendant light and the chair.

Kelly@40isthenew30

Laura@JourneyChic said...

The bedding is gorgeous and I love everything you chose. I've spied that rug before and it's one of my faves, and that bed...it's such a bold statement!

Unknown said...

Blown away!...Averill, if the law thing doesn't work out, or you just get bored...you should totally become a professional designer...YOU ROCK AT THIS!

Tracy Watier said...

Beautiful choices, Averill. Love your mix of high and low, sleek and ornate. Great reference photos too; they totally support your vision.

Karen said...

Gorgeous. I like that it has a coastal vibe, but without the typical literal translation.

Christy said...

You've done it again Averill. Love, love, love IT! Especially that bed. Yes, please.

Clayton Gray Home said...

love your mood board - great colors!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

perfect down to JA's seashell lamp Averill. You created a soothing, lovely bedroom. Love the patterns and textiles.

Hope you two had a good weekend?

Erica @ Decorica said...

Hi Averill. I really like the natural elements of all of the rooms and the board. I can't decide which room I love more, John Willey's or Phoebe's. There's something so soft and soothing about them, even while using color.

Pink Wallpaper said...

Love that gray headboard!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love your design board, Averill! That bed is fabulous and I love the chair, too! Actually, I really like everything you picked out to go with this bedding. This would make for a really pretty bedroom. Nicely done!

Samantha said...

That looks very restful and stylish.

Couture Carrie said...

Gorgeous post, darling!
Love the spaces and the patterns!

xoxox,
CC

casey at loft and cottage said...

Perfection! I love everything, every single item, you chose for that room!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

I have grown so fond of the yellow/gray combo and your choices are fantastic!

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

That bed is gorgeous! I love it!

Kathysue said...

Averill Love this room. Great colors and textures which makes this room so soothing but your choice in furniture pieces makes it exciting also. Especially the wonderful bed. Great job are you sure you are not ready to change professions, I think you are a designer in waiting!!
Thank you for your sweet comment about my black and white guest bath. I was glad to hear you and others mentioned that it is timeless. I have been gone for a week to North Carolina so I need to catch up on your post, Hugs Kathysue

Emily A. Clark said...

Averill--such a beautiful board! That bed is perfection with the bedding. Would love to have this room.

Sarah said...

Averill! Another winner:) Not only is this is a beautiful room, but just a really good post. Thanks for including all those inspiration pics for coastal rooms that aren't all about blue! So glad you went with the Medallion duvet cover too, I just love it! I really like that you kept to the soft subtle palette...if you step back and look at your board everything blends so nicely together...there's contrast enough but its not so bold as to be jarring, everything is subtle layering of textures and colors, perfect!! I've always loved that rug (thinking of getting one for myself actually!) and it goes so well with the drapes, love all the pattern/print in here. What a gorgeous bed! The rattan pouf and bamboo pendant (love how you mixed that inexpensive light with the expensive shell table lamps!) bring in just the right touch of natural coastalness (right, I know that's not a word!). Thanks again for bringing your talent to MBM:)

KSK said...

Love your mix! I'm not the world's biggest yellow fan, but I love it in the context you created. It comes off more as a warm neutral. The little slipper chair is darling...that fabric is perfect for it.

Karena said...

Averill, lovely, light , fresh and summery. Love it!

Karena
Art by Karena

Nicole Lanteri said...

I saw that bed on Anthropologie and want it so badly!

Beth Connolly said...

I want the bed too!

The Shiny Pebble said...

This room looks so peaceful and young! I love the use of prints in both the rug and bedding. Very complimentary and modern. Great job, Averill! I might try my hand at this game in the future.

Hello Lover... said...

Love it I'm a huge fan of the slate mixed with the beigey mustardy color!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails