Thursday, June 10, 2010

Shop Like a Design Blogger: Haven and Home

Today I'm thrilled to have the charming and talented Marianne from Haven and Home here to share her favorite shops for a few key pieces for every home. While Marianne's knack of selecting gorgeous eye candy has made Haven and Home one of my daily reads, it's Marianne's own design work that really leaves me breathless (did you see the nursery she recently completed over at Pure Style Home?). Marianne's style is classic and clean -- and distinctly Southern, which I think really shines through in her selections today.

* * *

Hi Odi et Amo Readers! I hope you are all having a great week. I am so happy to be part of this series. Being in this industry requires a lot shopping, which I consider to be a pro. There has been a lot of great information in this series so far, so I hope I am not duplicating too much. When working for a client I like to mix trade sources with public sources for a mix of pieces. Most of the stores I go to have been mentioned already, but when I am looking for specific items I always know where to start. So, here is my list of the best places to find certain items.

1. Ballard Designs-Mirrors. I know, I know, Ballard is nothing new. They have great pieces but if I need a mirror for a job they are the first site I visit. Here are few of my favorites (some long time loves):





2. Wisteria- Chests. Beautiful wood chests that don't look like they shipped straight from China (even if they did) are hard to come by. I don't like the furniture I use to look cheap and mass produced (again, even if it is) and Wisteria's chests always have something special about them.

3. Mitchell Gold- Sharp Seating. For streamlined, well made seating I love to use Mitchell Gold. With a great fabric selection and several clean styles, they are perfect for clients who want simple chic.
My favorite sofa to date...
4. Brocade Home- Feminine Fun. When looking for something feminine and unique Brocade is always an unexpected stop. From lighting to furniture to wallpaper they add flair to any project.


I hope this helps! Are there stores where you always start looking for certain items? Thanks Averill for having me over today, I have loved following this series!

Next week's guest blogger: Janell from Isabella & Max Rooms.

13 comments:

Gwen Driscoll said...

love marianne. she is s real talent. thanks for sharing this with us. hope you are well.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Oh, I knew you would showcase some beautiful items and you did!! I'm off to check out Brocade Home, I've not heard of them before! Janell

Karen said...

I love Marianne's blog. It's nice to know that designers use resources that I can access too. So often I find a fabric I love only to see it's available "to the trade" only and I'll need to pay extra to get my hands on it. Love the mirrors from Ballard Designs, one of my favorite places for affordable pieces.

Laura@JourneyChic said...

Love Ballard's mirrors! Thanks for sharing Brocade Home - I hadn't heard of them before.

I always admire the furniture in the Mitchell Gold window (I drive past one on my way to work), but have yet to go in because I assumed everything would be out of my price range. But maybe it's not - def. worth a look!

Christy said...

The first and third mirrors you showed us are SO pretty - I want them both. Right NOW! Love all the suggestions...and I love Mitchell Gold sofas too - our living room sofa is from there. It's 7 years old and I'm sure it'll last AT LEAST another seven -it's still so comfortable, and so well made!

ps - This blogger is new to me, so I'm so glad you invited her Averill! I just love this series!

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Love Ballard for mirrors too. Cant' go wrong with Mitchell Gold either.

xo,
cristin

paula said...

so many great shops. I am still wanting that white atoll mirror.

Design Esquire said...

Great shops! Right now I want a mirror from Ballard so bad! You're right, they do mirrors well. Love all your other top picks too.

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

I'm loving that flirty console table - who couldn't use a little more flirt in her life? :)

Laura Trevey said...

So glad to have found your blog! I love Marianne, and so fun to see her over here!

xoxo Laura

Marija said...

Totally fun (and reliable!) sources! Love Wisteria casegoods and the chests are amongst the most beautiful. Great choices, Marianne!

Sarah Klassen said...

Lovely inspiration and sources shared! I really like so many pieces that were featured, but I cannot get over that one sofa—the favorite sofa. It's so amazing in both color and design...

Thanks for sharing!

Hello Lover... said...

I love this feature so much! It's always so fun to see where the different bloggers I follow shop!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails