Friday, May 15, 2009

Week Three: Roofing

My mom (aka my eyes and ears on the new house) checked in on the progress yesterday and things are moving along rather quickly (scary!). It's really starting to look like a house, isn't it? I can't wait to see it once the brick goes up. For me, the hardest thing to visualize was how the brick would look. After all, all I saw were a few samples but, as paint chips have shown me, when you take a small sample and throw it up on a whole wall (or house), the effect can be very, very different from what you had imagined.

On Sunday, Dave and I will be going by to do a walk through with our sales representative. During the walk through, we'll be marking the location of each and every outlet (electric, cable, phone jack, you name it) in the entire house. The not-so-enjoyable task tomorrow will be to sit down with the plans and sort out in my head roughly where I'll want the TVs, beds, etc. so I can be sure that on Sunday we get it right the first time. After all, if I spend the next 20 years complaining that the cable outlet is on the wrong wall, I'll only have myself to blame.

9 comments:

Kara said...

make sure you have more than you think you need!!

Jamie said...

It's looking fantastic!

Beth Connolly said...

I would drive myself insane with those little details. How exciting to have a new house where you can decide everything! Do you feel pressured knowing we are all watching all your choices? ;)

Liz said...

Holy moly, I can't believe it looks like an actual house already!!! That is so awesome. Good luck with the oulets - that's always a stressful job! I agree with the others - the more the merrier!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

What a transformation in just a wee bit of time. The house looks terrific & you must be so excited? You have a huge task this weekend figuring out all those important details, I love it though. Thanks for all the input & advice yesterday. I think I will have to do the market next yr D: Studying takes precedence, darn it. Next haircut, I am emailing you for your stylist! Have fun this weekend (:

Sanity Fair said...

put in tons of outlets! When my family house was built, I thought the number of outlets was absurd - and yet we've managed to use them. Don't forget a few in the floor in the living for those lamps!

Joy said...

Hi from Dallas, Averill! I am a fellow Texas attorney who also started a blog so as not to lose all of my creativity while practicing law! I enjoy your blog. It looks like you have a beautiful house in the works. I hope you have a great weekend!

Patch said...

Damn girl! How exciting! Enjoy it.

Christy said...

Holy crap! It's going up so incredibly fast - I am super impressed!

I don't envy you that task of picking out socket locations one bit. Let us know how it goes! My only advice - don't overdo it. We once rented a house that had them every few feet on EVERY wall. Talk about strange looking!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails