Friday, May 29, 2009

Find of the Week: Polly George Ceramics

I've been pining for a vase or a teapot from British ceramist Polly George for months now. I love how graphic and modern her all-white pieces feel and the three dimensional motifs lend the pieces a sculptural quality. Unfortunately, there are very few distributors of her products here in the U.S. and her prices are, while probably justifiable given the amount of work that goes into each piece, certainly not wallet-friendly. Sometimes though, patience and some strategic Internet shopping can pay off big time.

Online emporium 2Jane is a great online source for "of the moment" housewares from independent designers around the globe and is one of the few shops online that sells a selection of Polly George's goods. Last week, while killing time between meetings, I checked in and saw that several pieces were substantially discounted. Acting quickly, I ordered the Small Butterfly Vase, for a mere $30 -- and the piece normally sells for $115! Yesterday, the vase arrived in the mail and I was completely floored by the quality. First of all, this is bone china, not just stoneware. Secondly, it's really not that small (it's 12" high) and, finally, the craftsmanship is really evident in person.

Here are two other great deals to be found at 2Jane:


Mr. Jones Teapot, originally $120, now $30

Ribbon jar, originally $20, now $5

And, while not currently on sale, I love the Mr. & Mrs. Jones Juicers ($94/pair). They're just the right amount of twisted and would make a great wedding gift for a close friend.

So what do you think of Polly George's work? Is it your cup of tea (horrible pun intended)?

9 comments:

Christy said...

Oh it is totally my cup of tea! I can't wait to see a closeup of your piece in your new house. I am in love with this stuff now...Muchas gracias. And love the title - does this mean you are going to treat us to eye candy like this every week!?

Averill said...

Christy - Assuming I can come up with something fun and budget-friendly every week, yes!

Liz said...

Love the vase - the butterflies are stunning! I bet it'll look snazzy in your new house!! :) I love the butterfly teapot as well - just the right touch of whimsy.

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Totally my cup of tea! Now more things to covet..argh! As much tea is served in this household I have to have her teapot. I adore the quirky, yet basic vibe. The juicers I agree would make fabulous wedding gifts. Great post Averill. Happy Houston Weekend to You as Well!

Sanity Fair said...

These are GREAT. Fanciful but not frilly.

Beth Connolly said...

2Jane is a great tip and white is such a classic. I think we were both channeling white on Friday.

Brenna said...

Just beautiful! I love the teapots, and the juicers are too funny.

Kara said...

I love the teapot! I'm a huge tea drinker and while on vacation they served tea in these beautiful teapots and cups. And I said I would have to get something like that when I got home. This just might be the teapot!

annechovie said...

Love Polly's work, Averill. What a great deal you got, too! Hope you have an excellent week!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails