Thursday, May 7, 2009

Week Two: The Foundation

UPDATE:

My mom drove by the new house today and it looks like framing is well underway. It's completely astounding how much visual progress can get made in just a few days, particularly in the early stages of construction. Can't wait to see it myself on Saturday!

_____________________________

On Sunday Dave and I drove out to the 'burbs to take a peak at the process on the new house. Despite the heavy rains we had earlier in the week, they managed to complete the underground plumbing and pour the foundation. I know this must be some sort of optical illusion, but the footprint of the house feels so tiny (in stark contrast to the immense driveway). I've been in a completed house with a nearly identical floor plan so I know that the house is, in fact, far from tiny. I'm excited to swing by this weekend (which will mark the end of week two of construction) to see if they've managed to frame the house. It'll be so much easier for me to visualize our new home once it has a third dimension.

I was pleasantly surprised to see though that the area leftover for what will become our backyard [read the red dirt above] is actually quite spacious. A good thing since it was a priority for Dave to have more yard this time around. In fact, compared to the tiny urban garden we have now, it's positively huge. Olivia and Clio won't know what to do with all the space. I also like that our backyard fence is a 7-foot high brick fence (which we get because the house abuts a street rather than another lot). It'll be so much more private (and much sturdier) than the standard-issue 6' foot fence.

11 comments:

Liz said...

Wow, I bet you guys are freaking out with excitement!! Can't wait for the next update. :)

Patch said...

Crazy! Very exciting.

Jody Harrington said...

And you KNOW how much your father LOVES a brick fence!!!

Patch said...

HOLY GUACAMOLE!!!! It's beautiful!!!

Lauren said...

So exciting!! I hope we can go by when we're down there in a few weeks. Y'all should have a painting party before you move in. You buy a case of wine and some pizza, your friends will paint your walls the non-builder colors and it will get done before you move in furniture :).

Averill said...

Lauren -- We'll definitely swing you by in a few weeks. By then who knows how it'll look! As for the painting party: great idea! How would you and Erin like to come down in August and join in on the fun? hee hee ;)

Lauren said...

We're totally in - wine, home decorating AND getting a bit dirty! I mean, what more could you ask for :)

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Averill have fun tomorrow checking out your homes progress. I love the architecture of it already. A majority of the homes here in Houston I think are well designed. Have terrific curb appeal. Back home in Seattle, typically the homes garage is staring at you from the street.
Your pet's will be in heaven in you new backyard. Look forward to more progress. (: Happy wkend

Maple said...

OMG it looks AWESOME!

Christy said...

Wow my jaw dropped open when I saw these photos! Stunning is right! I can't wait to see more!

I didn't say where we were on my Florida post because it's really a hidden gem and I didn't want the world to know that the best little town in Florida, with the worlds best beaches, and restaurants, and shops is......Holmes Beach, on Anna Maria Island. If you ever get the chance - GO!

zorra said...

I felt the same way when I saw our slab--it seemed so small. All of that square footage is going up, not out! Congratulations!!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails