Thursday, April 21, 2011

My Dining Room Gets a Face Lift



Last weekend while my in-laws were in from Florida for a visit, I finally found the opportunity to recover my dining room chairs. In our old house, I had covered our dining room chairs in a pretty (if a little bit dark) print from Marimekko, but the purple-grey and black print was all wrong for my navy and white dining room. Since moving into our new house in July of 2009, I had put off recovering the set, assuming I would be upgrading my dining room furniture in short order.

Well, flash forward nearly two years later and that dining room set is still there...and not going anywhere anytime soon thanks to a baby and a very expensive backyard renovation. And so, having resigned myself to keeping my furniture for another few years, I decided I should finally get around to recovering the seats. I scored two yards of a pretty blue and white print from Mod Green Pod at 50% off a few weeks ago that's much more in keeping with the room. I won't go into the process of recovering seat cushions as there are a plethora of how-to's online right now (and frankly it's super-easy...if you can wrap a present, you can recover a seat cushion).


I love how the print manages to brighten up the whole set -- sorely needed given the dark tones of the wood, especially against my dark wood floors. I've attempted to bring even more light to the center of the room by adding a white and silver runner from John Robshaw that I scored on One King's Lane a few years ago and a pair of silver peafowl from Joss & Main (yes, I love sample sale sites!). The lovely ginger jar print on the wall is by Anne Harwell and the frame is from ZGallerie.


I'd like to perk this room up a bit further with two other additions: either some great wall art or a mirror for the lone wall (which is visible from the entryway) and some fabulous drapes for the two windows on the left wall. While I continue to hunt for the perfect piece for the wall, I'm working on the drapes right now. I'm in love with Iman's new fabric line IMAN Home available at Calico Corners and have decided to use one of her fabrics for the drapes...the question is, which print?
While I'm leaving heavily towards Option A with its two shades of blue that coordinate with the seat fabric and its larger scale print, I wanted to take a quick poll and see what my readers thought. Besides, who doesn't love a poll?

So you tell me, what do you think?


  • Option A
  • Option B
  • Option C
  • Option D
  • None of the above. I have a better idea!

14 comments:

Christy said...

Oh my gosh I saw fabric A first and thought PERFECT! Then, I saw fabric D and thought EVEN BETTER THAN PERFECT! That's the one I'd use in my own home! But honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the choices - you have such impeccable taste I'm sure it'll look fab no matter what. But I'm totally confused! Didn't you have a sideboard table along that wall? With two fabulous blue and white vases on the bottom shelf? Or is that another room or your last house?!

Karen said...

I love the new fabric. Recovering chairs is such an easy project but makes a big impact. Your wall color is really beautiful too.

Shanna said...

I love it! I love the fabric you chose and love your room. I just finished redecorating my MIL's dining room and also went with a blue and white palette. I voted in the poll, but I, too, prefer option A with option B a close second.

Unknown said...

The chairs turned out nice! I really like option two for the drapes :)

Nichole@40daysof said...

I love the new chair fabric, and I like both A & B, but I voted for B because I like it a tiny bit more. I'm sure it will look lovely, whatever you choose.

Laura@JourneyChic said...

Love love love the new fabric for the chairs! I voted for B. It looks like a smaller print and won't compete with the pretty chairs.

Donna Benedetto said...

Love the look you have got going. Classic and modern at the same time. As for the window treatment...sometimes less is more and my vote if for B...Would be gorgeous accessorized with blue and white jars in abundace...and a pop of color...love it

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

I voted! BBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!! I think it would ad just enough white!

Love the chair fabric...Like seriously LOVE!

Anonymous said...

Love the print you chose for the chairs! I think because it's such a large-scale print, you need to go smaller for the drapery. For that reason, D is my choice...plus the shape mimics the bigger shape in the chair fabric and the shape of the ginger jar. It looks great!

Unknown said...

Perfect choice for the chairs! I voted B because it had a little more white and the scale looked right. I love those Iman fabrics and in fact just did a post about them myself the other day, the blue and white color scheme really tickles my fancy!!!

http://roomrx.blogspot.com/2011/04/fresh-fabrics-friday-istanbul-sunset-by.html

Cathy

Jerith at Adore and Adorn said...

I love the new chair fabric but I'm probably the only person who voted for none of the above in the curtain department, sorry! I would love to see you lighten the room up a bit by adding billowy white sheers to the windows. I love how striking the wall color is and I think that a patterned fabric will draw away from that. Find something you can buy off the rack and spend the saved money on that great mirror!

Beth Connolly said...

I would love to see blue and white striped silk.

Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

I love the new fabric on your chairs; your dining room is beautiful!

I voted for Fabric A. :)

walrus studio said...

Love the navy walls!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails