Thursday, July 15, 2010

Shop Like a Design Blogger: Inglenook Decor

This week I'm excited to have Maureen, the proprietor of Inglenook Decor, a lovely e-boutique, and author of the equally lovely blog Ingle Talk that I've been following since their launch last year. Maureen has recently moved to Austin, which has got to be one of my most favorite cities on earth (and where I spent 3 years in law school incidentally). Austin is, unquestionably, a very, very cool town with a ton of very, very cool boutiques and shops -- a few of which Maureen has been so generous as to share with us today. I'm actually going to Austin this weekend for a bachelorette party and I hope to squeeze in some serious shopping time while I'm there.

* * *

Awww! I am so honored that I got invited by the lovely and talented Averill to participate in this series. Hi all, this is Maureen of the online shop, The Inglenook Decor & my blog and occasional musings, Ingle Talk. I am in love with my newly adopted city, Austin. I've only lived here for less than a year & I'm sure I haven't seen everything. I sort of shop of the beaten path, looking for only one-of-a-kind stuff and the most unique items. I still peruse the Pottery Barns & West Elms of this world {and adore Restoration Hardware & Ballard Designs}, but when I'm out and about in the fascinating streets of this lovely town, the following are my must-go-to shops:

1. Uncommon Objects If you're visiting Austin, you absolutely must check this shop out! It's vintage heaven & when they named the store, Uncommon Objects, they weren't kidding. It's in the heart of So Co {South Congress} amidst other lovely shops, restaurants and food trailers. The shop truly epitomizes the towns slogan, "Keep Austin Weird." We just did a photo shoot there this week, and the owner and their creative stylists and associates couldn't be more helpful and may I add, so, so talented! Don't know what to do with your found objects? You'll find amazing ideas and vignettes here.

2. Whit Hanks Antiques This shop boasts of more than 10 antique dealers like Negrel Antiques, Antique Swan and Pat Monroe Antiques. If you're looking for the best of European antique case goods then this is the place to go. It's in an area of the city called Clarksville which is on West 6th just right across the Whole Foods flagship. When you get hungry, just hop on over to Z Tejas, a restaurant built around large oak trees and for some pastries {and a cafe au lait of course!}, the charming Sweetish Hill Bakery.


3. Fortney's Home Another favorite spot is Fortney's Home, also in the Clarksville area. More treasures to find here, inside and outside of the store. It's bigger than you think if you look at it from the outside. With more amazing finds on the second floor, garden treasures in their courtyard and more in their back house, your eyes will have a feast!


4. Mercury Design Studio Let's move to the fancier part of town, shall we? Boutiques and restaurants galore line the second street district and one of my absolute favorite shops is here, Mercury Design Studio. They carry Thomas Paul items, Roost Decor and the like. They also have custom vintage chairs and case goods they re-purposed and refinished themselves.

{images via the featured shop sites, yelp & Design-Crisis}

5. The Container Store I know, I know, it's a bit weird that I suddenly went mainstream as far as store choices. There are more vintage and unique shops in Austin of course but the list above are places I absolutely check out on a regular basis. Now, The Container Store, a girl must have staples right and one can never have enough storage or organization, for that matter. So, when I need this fix, I quickly go to this store which is located in the Arboretum area off of 183. Here are some items I have my eye on right now.

Thanks again Averill for letting me participate in this series. Design bloggers abound and each has a unique take on the world of decorating and design. I am truly honored to be a part of this amazing group!

Next Week's Guest Blogger: Ally from From the Right Bank...

* * *

On a far more serious note, I'd like to extend my deepest condolences to the family and friends (and especially her husband and two young children) of Marija Stephens of Holding Court, who died in a car accident just days ago. Marija was one of my most favorite voices in the design blogosphere (not only was she an incredibly talented designer, but she was a wonderful writer as well). While we never had the opportunity to meet in person, I nevertheless considered her a friend and kindred spirit as an attorney cum designer. My thoughts and prayers are with those whom she left behind far, far too early.

13 comments:

Karena said...

Great finds Averill! It is so fun to find wonderful shops like this!

Karena
Art by Karena

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Austin is so fun and quirky, loved getting a little peek of it this morning.

As for Marija, I did not know her and was only recently introduced to her blog but the sad news really struck me and my heart goes out to her family.

Kathysue said...

Averill you know how I love these post, always eye opening and inspiring. I am going to check out Inglenook. I have not been there before. Also, it is so sweet of you to mention our sweet Marija. What a tragic loss to all whose lives she touched. I hope you have a wonderful day today, the week is almost over, tomorrow, TGIF!!!! Kathysue

Laura@JourneyChic said...

Oh my god! I can't believe it. My heart goes out to Marija's family. She left a comment on my blog not long ago and I enjoyed reading hers. Such a horrible tragedy.

As for Maureen's guest post, I wish I'd known about Uncommon Objects when I was in Austin a few years ago - it looks like such a fun place.

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Averill, I love this series and love Austin as well....wish I were moving there instead of Dallas :)

And, yes, Marija's untimely passing is unthinkable. I wasn't close with her like many of the other bloggers but I always appreciated her comments/emails on my blog and found her to be one of the most genuine bloggers out there. My heart aches for her family and friends. There really are no words, are there?

Connie @ Sogni e Sorrisi said...

Such great suggestions!

I'm still stunned about Marija. So, so sad. My heart goes out to her family.

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Great list Maureen... The Container Store - after my own heart.

Averill, that was a nice tribute to Marija. I am still so sad about her death and continue to pray for her family.

xo,
cristin

Emily A. Clark said...

Maureen--I enjoyed your list; wish I could go shopping with you!

Averill--I'm just sick about Marija and can't get her kids off of my mind. . .

Dumbwit Tellher said...

So happy to meet chic Maureen. I'm dropping my laptop & jumping into the Milne mobile & headed to Austin. 2.5 hrs. & I can be spending!

Great post and touching tribute to the fine woman Marjia was & always will be to us all.

Have a good weekend Averill. ( :

OneCraftyFox said...

So, so sad about Marija. You are wonderful to post about this.

Sarah Klassen said...

These places are fantastic! I would expect nothing less than an amazing report from Maureen. If I visit, I will know just where to stop in and do some shopping -- lovely post :)

xo

Kellie Collis said...

These are fabulous!! Hope you are having a gorgeous weekend! x

Unknown said...

So great...and now very excited to check out Inglenook Decor, new to me...

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails