Friday, July 2, 2010

Family Room: Not Quite Finished Yet, But...


So I lied on Tuesday. I didn't get the family room done this week. But I should've known that. After all, I'll probably never consider the room totally, 100% complete. And I'm still waiting on a few key accessories for the built-ins. But I wanted to get you an update on where I am now. If you'll recall, this is what the room looked like when we moved in last August:

After moving from a much smaller townhouse, I decided to put our existing living room furniture in the upstairs den (which is actually larger and therefore better able to accomodate our large sectional). For months, we lived with an empty family room while I searched for just the right pieces. As you may recall, here's how things looked 7 months later:

Not bad, eh? While the major pieces had all fallen into place pretty quickly, I was still struggling with how to deal with both the large niches on either side of the fireplace as well as the two-story wall of windows. For the windows, I knew that I wanted to add some softness to the room, visually lower the tall ceiling to create a cozier feeling, but I wasn't sure exactly how to go about doing it. After consulting with a decorator, I decided to hang long panels from the top of the highest window all the way to the floor -- and I think the result is pretty stunning:

I love the hit of pattern and how the blue ikat really helps tie everything all together. The fabric is called Kalah Blue and is available at Calico Corners. It's got a good weight on it though I did have the panels lined to give it a better drape (particularly important given the length of the panels). All in all we needed about 30 yards to create four single panels. We kept the hardware simple and classic (RH's antique silver rod with a ball finial) since it's so far from the ground to really be visible (and I wanted to keep the focus on the print). Fortunately, my fabricator did the installation as well so Dave and I didn't have to scale a huge ladder to get these up there.

The next major project we tackled were the awkward niches on the fireplace, that were just begging for built-ins of some kind. I decided to do something a little different than just simple bookcases as I wanted these to double as extra seating when we have company as the room is actually on the smaller side and can get crowded when we entertain more than a half dozen guests. Additionally, I wanted to move our TV from the bedroom into here so we could watch TV in here (or in the adjacent kitchen/breakfast room). After a few weeks of working with our contractor, this is what we came up with:

Of course as soon as these were up I was anxious to style them up and I've included some of my favorite things here for full display. I'm still awaiting the arrival of the navy (with white piping) cushions I ordered for the bench seats, which will add a much needed shot of color and contrast to these built-ins. Initially, I had thought about painting out the backs in a strong contrasting color (graphite, navy or coral, specifically), but I think for now I will leave them white and contemplate painting the walls a deeper color to create more contrast that way.

Here are a few detail shots of the space, which I'd now say is about 95% complete:


The Built-Ins. Our contractor was able to replicate the moldings on the fireplace surround into the bench and shelves for a seamless, "it was built this way" look. We also added closed storage in the benches. The cabinets on the left hold TV components while the ones on the right are perfectly sized to stash pet toys and other, less attractive items. Louvered doors lend a coastal, British colonial vibe and remind me of plantation shutters (which I would someday love to replace my existing blinds with).

The mantle. Sunburst mirror is from Restoration Hardware (no longer available, alas). Topiaries are from Ballard Designs. I scored the two blanc de chine ladies from High Street Market on Etsy. The blue and white urns are from my mother.

The shelves. This is my first stab at styling these, though I think I need a few more books to go on the middle shelf (and of course something fabulous for each of the corner niches on the top shelf). The large zig-zag jar on the top shelf is Mexican and from Emilia Ceramics (and second one is on order for the other built-in). On the middle shelf, the blue and white ginger jar is from High Street Market and the three Qing emperors are from Tozai Home (but purchased on One Kings Lane). On the bottom row, my dachshund bookends hold a few of my favorite Pengiun classics and the plate is my grandmother's (via my mother). I just got the petite framed intanglio from Quatrefoil Design (the virtual storefront for the fabulous Holly of Things That Inspire) earlier this week and it looks perfect sitting atop some of my favorite design tomes. The two small blue pagodas from the Chinatown collection at home, james! are actually a pair of salt and pepper shakers from (also purchased on One Kings Lane).


The sofa and some key accessories. A few throw pillows constructed by Melanie at Plum Cushion in two of my favorite fabrics (KWID's Imperial Trellis and Chiang Mai, both available through Schumacher) perk up my Ethan Allen sofa. The side table is also from Ethan Allen and holds my orchid, a bowl full of shells Dave and I have collected over the years while on vacation, and a grapefruit-scented Delirium & Co. candle. Behind the sofa, the Kate lamps from Circa Lighting flank a Jonathan Adler hippo, which makes me grin every time I look at his chubby figure.

I'll update more once I get the built-ins fully styled. In the meantime, have a wonderful Fourth of July weekend!

44 comments:

Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

it looks awesome, I love it. Every single piece in there!

jonalynn said...

The built-ins compliment the fireplace well. I absolutely LOVE the large zig-zag jar! The high curtain placement and pretty pattern make the windows really stand out! Nice job.

Tammy@InStitches said...

It's just lovely and your seat cushions are going to be the icing on the cake ! Have a happy 4th...........

Kathysue said...

Oh Averill I can just see you up on a footstool styling away and enjoying each and every creation. Love the drapes they turned out stunning. The built ins are the finishing touch to the room. Can't wait to see all the different ways you will be styling them. Have a wonderful 4th of July weekend sweet friend, Kathysue

Julie said...

Love it...all of it! The curtains really tied it together.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those panels are amazing! I love the wingback chair and the lamps. The built-ins are so cleverly done - I'm looking forward to seeing them when the cushions come and you've finished styling the shelves. What a beautiful room!

Kelly

Unknown said...

Simply Stunning. A job well done!! Really love all the blue's. One of my favorite colors if not favorite. :)

Poindexter said...

Averill, you've done such a great job with your home, it's fabulous
:)

Dayka Robinson said...

Averill!!! it is truly stunning, and the drapes are such a beautiful focal point. i LOVE the ikat you chose. i'm headed to calico corners tomorrow for something else, but i will check for that fabric in another colorway, too. i love it!

Unknown said...

I love your room! And I see the JA dog and the book belly....
Gorgeous materials all around!

XX
Victoria

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Fab, fab, fab! Love those drapes. Happy 4th of July!

Fran said...

Averill, it looks ah-mazing!! Seriously, you've done a wonderful job. Those drapes are such the statement piece - they really make the room. The built ins shape is so unique - I really like how you designed them. Fabulous!!

Unknown said...

It is coming along beautifully! So many great touches, like the zig zag jug and that lovely mirror...you really have the best sense of style!

Couture Carrie said...

Looking gorgeous, darling!
Love these blues!

Have a fabulous 4th of July!

xoxox,
CC

Anonymous said...

Wow! It's gorgeous! I wondered what it was going to look like especially since I had a deja vu moment when I saw the configuration of the room. It is almost identical to our family room. I am curious if you can close the curtains if you want or is it configured just to cover the space between the windows. Enjoy!

Pat

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Beautiful, Averill! I love the mix of patterns, and old and new, and now I want that hippo! :) Great decision to add bench seating in the built-ins, can't wait to see how they look with the cushions.

Things That Inspire said...

Every time I see rooms from your house that have come together, I am amazed at your style. I love how you handled what could be a tricky window for curtains - the strong vertical with a nice pattern is masterful.

And, of course, I think your petite framed intaglio looks magnificent - really perfect in the space. I think the petites are perfect in bookcases! Thank you for your order.

Nichole@40daysof said...

It's really lovely. The curtains are amazing.

The Shiny Pebble said...

I am in love with that white chair!!! the window treatment turned out gorgeous and teh shelving is so fab - both modern and traditional. I love the block panels in the back. This is just me because I have a thing for bamboo shades, but do you think that adding them instead of the plantation shutters would make the room look weird? Not that I am saying do it in your room... it is more of a question to educate my eye.

alison giese Interiors said...

Impeccably put together, Averill! The double-height curtains in the ikat are so impressive. You've certainly taken this waaay beyond standard builder grade, and should be very proud!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

It's looking so good! And the long panels for the curtains were defininately the the way to go!

Loft32 said...

Very well done! Love love love it!

Hello Lover... said...

It really has come such a long way. I love all the blue and I love how you mixed so many shades of blue as well as different materials and patterns!

Sarah said...

Wow, Averill!!! It has come together so well! The drapes are unbelievable:) And the built-ins are so cool. This is great proof that you should spend time getting what you want and planning things out instead of rushing in like I do;)

Daniela said...

It is coming together beautifully! Love those JA bookends! :)

Laura@JourneyChic said...

Averill, it looks stunning! I love that you thought outside the box by adding bench seats to the built-ins. Very unexpected and useful! The curtains are gorgeous - that fabric is one of my faves from Calico. Hope you had a great 4th!

Viva La Fashion said...

the curtains are my fave part. i love this. i'm always watching home design shows.

Unknown said...

i spy a little jonathan adler in those bookshelves ;) this intern is proud! it looks amazing!

The Shiny Pebble said...

Me again, Averill, I just got my post from Kellie for tomorrow and I think you will enjoy the color scheme and her ideas as they somewhat reflect your living room.

Kara said...

Stunning is right!! Those curtains are fab. And I like how everything else is coming together. Can't wait to see the pillows on the benches. :)

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

the window treatments are beautiful and add so much elegance to the room.

xo,
cristin

Samantha said...

Wow. Very smart move with the built-ins.

Looking forward to seeing what you do next. Will you be popping in some non-blue accents or keeping in monochrome?

René said...

Wow! I love it all. So elegant yet live-able.

-Rene

casey at loft and cottage said...

It really is coming together. Thanks for sharing! Great job!

Miki said...

Averill! I can't believe it! Your style is exactly my style :) I love your room and the colors. Blue is where my decor is heading and I love what you have done! Great job!!!

Tobe @ Two Tall Blondes said...

ummm...this rocks my face off! i can't even pick a favorite element. everything has come together so beautifully, Averill! love the sophistication of the room with a little happy hippo whimsy!

you know i'll be watching for the update...

You Are My Fave said...

Nice mix of patterns.

Emily A. Clark said...

This looks so good--it is really coming together! The curtains really made all the difference.

LindsB said...

I'm in love!! They are like the icing for your room- they just add so much and tie everything together. I love them!!

Sarah (Matters of Style) said...

Pretty pretty, you have done such a great job!!

Karen said...

Everything has come together beautifully. I love your idea to add storage and extra seating to the niches. Niches can be so difficult to work with and you've come up with an excellent solution.

Maple said...

Looks BEAUTIFUL! I love the drapes and how they tie the room together. Can't wait to see the cushions!

Anonymous said...

It looks great! Its so neat seeing how the room is coming together, especially after you put up all the images that inspire you. I like the idea of having benches in the nook.

Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

Hi - I just discovered your blog; I moved into my home in July of '09, and my living room (family room?) is still a work in progress - I love the pictures of yours - I have a blue and white room, too, but mine is serious blah at the moment - I think it needs some curtains (at least as a starter), and I *love* yours!
Susan

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails