Friday, July 10, 2009

Optimum Optimorum 4: Mirrors

Mirror, mirror on the wall, whose the fairest of them all? Mirrors are a favorite design element of decorators not just because they're pretty, but because mirrors have amazing space (and light) enhancing properties. While any old mirror will help make a room look larger and brighter and, when properly positioned, can maximize a good view, a beautifully designed mirror can function as art in its own right.

While many of these mirrors would work beautifully as vanity mirrors, try placing one large mirror over a fireplace or sofa. Smaller ones can be grouped together for a big impact. In short, the possibilities are endless and I've already got several of these mirrors tagged in ever-growing wish list for the new house. While searching for my favorites, I found a ton amazing mirrors both at Horchow and at Wisteria that I was unable to feature here due to space constraints, but you should definitely check out both sources.

From top left:

1. Marisol Mirror from Restoration Hardware ($278.99). Sunburst mirrors are a classic dating back to the reign of King Louis XIV, the Sun King. Of course, you can find various versions of this iconic style just about anywhere and for just about any price point, but I love this one from RH for its generous 48" size and antique silver foil finish. And at over 30% off [and with all the promotions RH has been running, I imagine you'll be able to score it for even less], the price on this one is very reasonable. In fact, I'm thinking that this may be good, less expensive option for my dining room over the flower mirror (#6 below) that I've been dreaming of.

2. Mansard Mirror from Mothology ($89). The distressed gray paint gives this mirror a certain vintage appeal that will help balance out a lot of new furniture. Since this mirror is on the smaller side (about 20" high), try grouping this in multiples. If you're looking for a slightly larger version, Wisteria has a larger lookalike (HERE) for $399.

3. Four-point Mirror from Horchow ($295). While I generally shy away from gold finishes, the modern shape of this mirror and softer gold tones keep it from looking dated. Several of these would be absolutely stunning in a dining room.

4. Queen Anne Mirror from Jonathan Adler ($595). I realize that something from Jonathan Adler has figured into just about every optimum optimorum round-up. Certainly, Mr. Adler knows the way to my heart, though absent a sale I'm usually resigned to lusting for his pieces from afar. At 26" x 38", it's the perfect size for a powder room mirror and graphic black or white frame would really pop against contrasting walls.

5. Perspective Mirror from CB2 ($149). For some reason I'm more drawn to antique or transitional mirrors than I am to truly modern ones, but if you're looking for something uber-modern, I really like CB2's highly affordable perspective mirror. If you need a larger mirror, try hanging several of these tightly together for the look of one larger mirror.

6. Flower Mirror from High Fashion Home ($599). Although this mirror is available in both white and black, I strongly prefer the lighter, more whimsical feel of the white version.

7. Art Deco Venetian Mirror from Wisteria ($329). I have a weakness for just about anything labeled "art deco" and this mirror is no exception. With its antiqued glass frame it looks like you could've picked it up at your local antiques' dealer. At over 44" high, this would help raise the ceilings of just about any room and, in particular, would be stunning over a fireplace. Actually, that gives me an idea for my own family room...hmmm....

8. Hampstead Mirror from Williams-Sonoma Home ($595-795). I featured this mirror in the mood board for my dream master bedroom and I still think it's just about perfect...well, everything except the price. That said though, it's a wonderful touch of chinoiserie that's still neutral and modern enough to work in just about any space. The honey stain version has a more "island" look if you're going for an India Hicks sort of vibe.

9. Chevron Bone Mirror from Pottery Barn ($249). Don't get me wrong, I love Pottery Barn for its solidly built basics and fun accessories, but every so often PB comes out with a product that really blows my mind -- and this is one of those times. Does inlaid bone in a chevron pattern sound like PB to you? It doesn't me, anyway. You better believe though that at this sale price, it won't be available for long.

10. Areaware Songbird Self Portrait Mirror from Velocity Art and Design ($55). Areaware's self portrait mirrors are a whole lot of fun -- perfect for a kid's space (especially since it's from unbreakable acrylic) or for a room that you just want to take down a notch. Even better, at this price you can afford several to switch out as your mood changes.

11. Gallery Mirror from Modern Dose ($342.95). I love the nautical styling and sophistication of this gallery mirror. The brass finish has an antique mirror but if you're looking for a more modern look, try the nickel finish with the plain mirror.

12. Roost Carved Bone Sunflower Mirror from Velocity Art & Design ($150-$190). Roost has quite a few beautiful, well priced mirrors, but this bone sunflower version is my favorite.

Don't forget that the competition to win one of my favorite three design books is currently going on. To enter, simply leave a comment to this post filling us in on your favorite mirror(s). For more information on prizes and rules, click on over HERE.

27 comments:

Kara said...

I love a beautiful mirror! Maybe because I'm a little vain... :)

And I do have a big round mirror behind my couch. My favorite of this group is probably the last one.

Anonymous said...

Easier to say which ones I would NOT choose than what I would! I love them all, depending on the space that they would go in, but 2, 5 and 9 are my least favorite.

Liz said...

Numbers 1, 3 and 6, please!

Laura said...

1, 6, and 9 are beautiful. But why are mirrors so expensive?!

Unknown said...

I have two of #7, and I got them at their yearly wharehouse sale for $69 a piece!!!! They are on either side of my fireplace in my formal living room.

Maple said...

Love the art deco mirror and the one from Restoration Hardware. I never even look at their website because their stuff is usually so expensive!

Unknown said...

I've seen an amazing mirror a while back. It has elvish letters inscribed on a stone frame that looks amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Nicolette
http://www.furnitureanddesignideas.com/

Dumbwit Tellher said...

I have a crush on #8 Averill but also 1, 2, & 3. The Mothology mirror is such a bargain.
Thanks for your comment today. So good to hear from you and from Ireland no less. I have been pouting all afternoon - wish I were there!
I am sure your missing a good heat stroke being here in Houston. Kiss the blarney stone for me!
deb

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

The Williams Sonoma Home mirror is my favorite too!

xo,
cristin

Alicia said...

I love mirrors. I get in trouble at the markets, since I figure hey store the extra under the bed & rotate them out!!!
I hope your wet Irish evening turns into a lovely Sunny Saturday!!!!

Maureen Stevens said...

Mirrors are fabulous! I love vintage ones, although the problem is, you can't see a full reflection of yourself (which is so important!). I love the 2nd one the best & Wisteria's is adorable. Right now I'm loving RH venetian beaded mirror (much more beautiful in person).

Casie said...

I have always been a fan of the sunburst mirrors, but I am also loving this ruffle edge wall mirror in high gloss black from Brocade Home.

{https://www.brocadehome.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1008_101001&products_id=124063&zenid=4pt3jt3qap69779ccmb5sih4p5}

annechovie said...

hard to choose, because they are all so pretty in different ways! I hope you are having a fabulous time in the UK, Averill!

kim said...

You posted my absolute favorite...the Hamstead from Williams Sonoma. Sadly, the smallest size is still too large to use in my powder room as I had hoped. I found another lacquer bamboo mirror that comes in several fabulous colors (kelly greeen, light blue, brown, white, black and red) at Art Concepts Store online. The prices are fabulous and the mirrors come in so many sizes. I'm so excited about these that I'll be ordering the bulletin boards with lacquered bamboo as well. Here's the link to the fun yellow that I am considering for the powder bath, although for the sake of longevity, I'll probably order the brown.

http://www.artconceptsstore.com/product1_custom_mirrors.aspx?SID=1&Product_ID=8518&Category_ID=223

alison giese Interiors said...

Th scale of the art deco number makes it the winner for me!

alison giese Interiors said...

Th scale of the art deco number makes it the winner for me!

Lisa said...

I love ALL the mirrors but if I had to choose it would be the WS Home Hampstead Mirror b/c I think it would work anywhere and I so wish it was within my budget so I could get one!

lady macleod said...

I love mirrors. I am presently looking for a few full length designs for the new house - how can people have a house with no full length mirrors?
In the above collection I would go with the last one I think. I like a grouping of mirrors in a corner or room that needs some extra light.
Fun posting, as always.

Beth Connolly said...

Averill-I of course adore the Chinoiserie mirror #8.

Beth Connolly said...

Averill-I also have to vote for #7-I am a big fan of Wisteria and this is an excellent price.

Patch said...

The four-point mirror is so beautiful. Now I think I have to find one for our new married apartment! :-) Hope you're having a blast abroad!

Patch said...

The four-point mirror is so beautiful, now I think I have to track one down for our new married apartment!

Christy said...

Flower mirror in white - gorgeous! But my all time favorite mirror is a venetian inspired mirror I saw on Divine Design. I'd love to get my hands on one, but I've never been able to find it!

Hope your trip is/was fantastic!!

Brianne said...

I love them all but the Four Point Mirror is my favorite! I need a couple of them.

Sarah Klassen said...

My favorite is the Mansard Mirror from Mothology / ever since I watched "How to Steal a Million" and the real window was featured - I've wanted a mirror or window of this design~ Lovely!

Kristina at The Purple Pea said...

I love almost ALL of these mirrors, but staying true to my secret passion, I love the songbird. I think even if it didn't have the songbird silhouette, I'd love it. The edge detail is so cute.

Sanity Fair said...

No. 8 - because I LOVE Chinoiserie!!! It's just darling, and a perfect fit for my space.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails