Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Optimum Optimorum 3: Accent Tables

Occasional tables. Accent tables. Side tables. No matter what you call them, they're the undeniable workhorses of any room. But not only do these small tables hold books, lamps, accessories and the occasional evening cocktail, they also serve a strong decorative element as they help create conversation areas and finish off the look of a space. A small table on either end of the sofa can keep it from looking adrift in the middle of a room while another small table, placed in a corner and artfully styled, can fill a forgotten void and pull it into the flow of the rest of a room. I'm also a big believer in playing with interesting shapes and/or colors for these tables; after all, their diminutive size means any statement you make will serve more like the exclamation point to your style rather than the dominant element.

But let's get down to business, shall we?

Clockwise, from top left:

1. Circolo Nesting Tables from PBTeen ($299). PB Teen is a never ending source for fun (and more affordable) furniture and accessories. Case in point: these Circolo nesting tables. While you may be tempted to disregard the green and pink versions as too sweet for an adult space, I think either one could work beautifully in a more neutral space. Imagine the green ones flanking either side of a creamy beige sofa. A few green throw pillows would tie in the color scheme without being overpowering. I only wish these came in turquoise -- wouldn't that be fun?

2. Umbra U+ Collection Rolly Table from Velocity Art & Design ($300). I've been eyeing this particular table for some time now as I think it would work perfectly in my guest room with some existing Ethan Allen furniture I inherited from my mother. The style here is very MCM, of course, but I think these are flexible enough to work well in just about any space. Also, $300 for Umbra furniture is a totally decent price.

3. Lola Side Table from Revival Home and Garden ($350). Red lacquer + a modern interpretation of a lion's claw = be still my beating heart. Since this piece is such a statement maker, I love the idea of allowing it to stand on its own, perhaps in a forgotten corner of a room, like a piece of sculpture. This table is also available in white and black for $345 from Modern Dose. I'm planning on picking this one up in white for my new study.

4. Warner Side Table from Layla Grace ($870). While the majority of items on Layla Grace are more shabby chic or French country, the site also has more modern pieces, like this stunning Warner Side Table (also available in white). While this piece is definitely a budget-buster for most of us, it's certainly a piece that you could own for a lifetime.

5. Turned Wood Pedestal Table from Brocade Home ($199). Brocade Home is a great online source for more modern (with a touch of Hollywood glam), solid wood pieces. Even better, their pricing is very reasonable. I love this pedestal table for its lacquer-like black finish and its gorgeous undulating curves, which recall the shape of many of Jonathan Adler's lamps. This table would be a great compliment to very linear furniture.

6. Mia Nesting Tables from Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams ($785). Okay, so these are pricey, I grant you that, but they're so incredibly versatile. The drawer in the largest table pulls out to double as a valet tray (brilliant!).

7. Carved Mango Wood Stool from ZGallerie ($189.95). ZGallerie is definitely my "go to" source for glamorous, interesting -- yet still accessible -- design. A pair of these stools would look great in an entryway, tucked underneath a console table or even as end tables in a sunroom or patio.

8. Trellis Side Table from Modern Dose ($225). I absolutely adore the paired down Chinoiserie style of this table. Even better, it comes in a ton of colors (gotta love options!). I'm thinking a pair of these is in order for my new family room.

9. EDLAND Nightstand from IKEA ($79.99). Sure IKEA markets this piece as a nightstand, but there's no reason why it has to stay by the bed. The petite size of this table makes it perfect for just about any tight space where you'd like to be able to squeeze more storage and/or table top. Besides the great price, I also love the hanging pull. This may be a bit of a stretch, but this table instantly reminded me of Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl Earring. I only wish IKEA sold this in white or a natural finish, but at this price, you can afford to repaint it whatever color you want.

10. Mix Side Table with Two Shelves from Crate&Barrel ($199). I love the strong industrial vibe of this piece, which would be a great way to modernize a room with strong traditional leanings. Lots of glass shelf space also means you'd have ample room for display.

11. Twisty Stool from Viva Terra ($165 for the short, $195 for the tall). Like the mango wood stool from ZGallerie, this organic wood stool definitely blurs the lines between accent table and stool, but I decided to include it here because I think the addition of a strong organic element can really be a great statement in a room for folks who are a little intimidated by strong color.

12. Curvee Shelf Table by House Eclectic from Burke Decor ($371). Another modern interpretation of Chinoiserie. Like the Trellis side table from Modern Dose, this piece comes in an array of candy colored hues (as well as black or white). By the way, Serena and Lily sell the same piece in melon, yellow or white for $2 less, but since Burke Decor offers free shipping to the Continental U.S., Burke is definitely the way to go.

Don't forget that the competition to win one of my favorite three design books is currently going on. To enter, simply leave a comment to this post filling us in on your favorite accent table(s). For more information on prizes and rules, click on over HERE.

20 comments:

Liz said...

The Brocade Home and Viva Terra tables, all the way! Love the glam, and love the natural element - gorgeous!

Laura said...

Ooh--numbers 7 and 9 are fab!

Anonymous said...

PLEASE don't make me decide! :-) So many good tables. Since I'm so decisive, I'm going with 1, 7, 8 and 12!

alison giese Interiors said...

Hmmm...VERY tough call, indeed! I pick door #12 - the curvee shelf table.

Sanity Fair said...

I'm really enjoying these posts! I'm going to go with the curvee table - wonderful shape, but the color makes it. What household object is next?

Rev Kim said...

I also love PB teen, and have one of their desk lamps. So many great choices here, but my favorites are #3 (in white), 5, and 6.

All Women Everywhere said...

Thanks for the mention! Incidentally, we currently have a pair of yellow Curvee tables in stock at 40% off! They're floor models, so a few scratches here and there, but practically free.

We also carry the Lola table in white, so when you're ready to order, drop me a line... I'm sure we can work out a special blogger discount. ;-)

xoxo
Leah

Kara said...

I gotta go with the Lola table. I'm drawn to the red. But I also like the Twisty stool too.

Beth Connolly said...

8. The Trellis Side Table-very Chinoiserie and such a great price!

Sarah Klassen said...

I enjoy the variety - some simple, some sexy, and some that are just too cool. My favorite (though I like quite a few!) is the set of Mia Nesting Tables from Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams. I like the simplicity and versatility. I think they could work in a number of spaces and ways. The tray feature just makes it even more lust-worthy~

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

The Mia nesting tables get my vote! Timeless.

xo,
cristin

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Lovely #4 & 5 I adore. Can't turn a check to the PB ones though. What style for such a deal. I love a deal!

Hurry home to the heat!

Casie said...

The Turned Wood Pedestal Table and Turned Metal Pedestal Table from Brocade Home are my favorite. I have been eyeing their pedestal tables for a while now.

{https://www.brocadehome.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1006_113004&products_id=112107&zenid=4pt3jt3qap69779ccmb5sih4p5}

Lisa said...

Trellis side table would be my pick for the great chinoiserie look and fun colors.

Beth Connolly said...

Averill-Love #12-a great Chinoiserie look in great colors.

Maureen Stevens said...

my favorite are the nesting tables. clean lines, crisp white. for color & pattern, have u heard of Home decor & accents at Shine Home? Good stuff.

Christy said...

My favorite of these choices is definitely the turned wood pedestal table - high gloss black. And may I also add that I LOVE that you link to all the choices - I'm discovering new sites to love!

Brianne said...

The Turned Wood Pedestal Table from Brocade Home is just what I have been looking for. Absolutely gorgeous!

Kristina at The Purple Pea said...

The Trellis Side Table for sure. I love the color and I think it would look adorable on a outside patio.

Anonymous said...

I am interested in the turned metal pedestal table sold by Brocade Home, however, there are a couple of problems I'm hoping you can help me solve:

1) Where can you find this in Canada (other retailers)?
2) The price is a little high for my budget.
3) Brocade Home doesn't have any in stock until December.

Can you recommend any other retailers with a similar product?

Please help, I would love to have 2 of these tables in my living room.

Thanks,

SJ

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails