Monday, February 7, 2011

The Nursery Reveal!



Apologies for being a week late in getting pictures of the nursery up on the blog, but I was waylayed a bit by work and weather last week and couldn't get the finishing touches put in the nursery until this weekend. Last Friday I showed you a photo of the finished window seat, complete with cushions (which I ordered in Sunbrella fabric for maximum stain-resistance/durability). While I stuck with a neutral off-white cushion, I had a contrast welt done in orange to inject a bit of fun and pick up on the orange grosgrain trim on the pillows and pelmet box. 

Dave and I made the pelmet box from some thin pieces of MDF, glued and screwed together and then thickened by Styrofoam (adds a nice visual heft without any extra weight). I then wrapped the three sided box in batting and used a staple gun to affix the fabric. Orange grosgrain ribbon in two thicknesses was then added with some simple fabric glue. My mom and I then made two throw pillows with leftover fabric and trim. The pillows are a simple envelope style, which eliminates the annoyance of sewing in a zipper, but still allows for removal for washing (essential in a kid's room, I'd imagine).

But you've seen this photo already. Time for some new eye candy, right? Before we get to that though, a reminder of what the room looked like before (think storage room):



Inauspicious start, yes? Well, after cleaning the room out (and several trips to Goodwill), I was able to finally get to work on the nursery in December. After several weekends of smaller DIY projects (the crib skirt, pelmet box and pillows), waiting around on painters (didn't have the energy this time around to paint the room myself) and assembling quite a bit of furniture, it's finally finished (well, mostly!):



Of course, the room really won't be finished until Baby G. makes his debut and it gets crammed full of photographs, toys, clothes, diapers....in short, the room really starts to live. But I'm really happy with how the bones of the room have turned out. There's plenty of room to grow, but it's also cozy enough to feel like home straight away.



I'm still in love with my schoolhouse-inspired ceiling fan. I've decided to forgo a mobile over the crib for now because I hear many babies are more enraptured by a ceiling fan than any mobile...and hopefully Baby G. will fall into that group! Besides, it was impossible finding one in my color scheme (and right now I'm not up to the task of making on myself!).


I ordered the glider back in November, but only just received it a few weeks ago. While I loved the aqua-on-blue polka dot fabric in the store, I had some serious reservations almost as soon as I came home: would the polka dots be too loud? Would I regret not going with a solid color? Would the blues work with the wall paint? Fortunately, when the glider finally arrived, I was relieved to see that it wasn't nearly the disaster that I'd built it up in my head to be; in fact, I rather like it and the polka dots are a playful, fun addition to the room without being overly loud.


My mom made a nice lap quilt with more of the O&L fabric. The back and binding is a multicolored polka dot print, which picks up on the polka dot print on the glider and around the monogram.


The "g" monogram and was my first real attempt at wall stickers. I must say, it was easier to apply than I feared and the end result looks like I painstakingly and meticulously painted the monogram on the wall. I gussied up the white Jonathan Adler-knock off floor lamp with some spare grosgrain ribbon (again, affixed with simple fabric glue).



The rug is from DwellStudio and a great buy at $200. At 5'x8' it fits the room nicely and will be a great play area for Baby G. when he gets a little older. I intentionally left a lot of floor space in the room for tummy time, playing, crawling etc. I think all kids' rooms need that extra space for creativity and play.


With little wall space left, Dave and I installed the bookrack from Pottery Barn Kids. I went with an ultraslim rack over a traditional bookcase both because I love how it shows off the colorful kids' books, but also because I had little wall space left that wasn't near a door (and I didn't want to crowd the room out). Currently, it houses my collection of Roald Dahl books as well as some cute board books I received as shower gifts. The top shelf has baby pictures of Dave and I in fab zigzag frames I scored at Furbish Studio (because not everything in a kid's room needs to be from a kid's store!).

Source List:
Crib: Oeuf
Dresser/Changing Table: Oeuf
Window Seat Cushions: CushionSource.com
Bookrack: Pottery Barn Kids
Floor Lamp: ZGallerie
Fitted Crib Sheet: Giggle
Fabric for crib skirt, pelmet box, pillows and throw: Osborne & Little
Ribbon Trim: M+J Trimming
Wall Decal: Elephannie
Letterpress Prints: Sycamore Street Press
Alphabet Poster: Binth
Chevron Frames: Furbish Studio
Ceiling Fan: The Period Arts Fan Company
Wall Paint: Forget Me Not by Benjamin Moore
Ceiling Paint: Icing on the Cake by Benjamin Moore

41 comments:

Christy said...

Absolutely fabulous Averill! I LOVE it! It's so you and so put together, and so perfect for your little one. I am seriously so excited for you. And inspired by you! You and your mom are so crafty! It's really, really perfect! Great job!

Fran said...

Averill, you did an amazing job!! I love all color scheme and your little touches - pelmet boxes, ribbon on the lampshade, your mom's quilt, artwork and the monogram. The wall bookshelf will come in such need as you'll accumulate so many books you won't know what to do with them on. I love it all! Congrats!

Nichole@40daysof said...

Really lovely, Averill. I love all of the ribbon detail.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Averill - it's perfect. I love it!

Tiffany @ Savor Home said...

Wow, Baby G is going to have a lovely spot to come home to! You did a fabulous job. I love the colors and the fabrics. Love the ribbon trick with the lamp. Can't wait to see what hear what his name is!

Karen said...

I love all the finishing touches that you added like the ribbon trim and the wall sticker.

My son's name is Grant, so we had a "baby G" too.

Unknown said...

Absolutely darling, love the color scheme and all of the details! Great work, I think Baby G will feel right at home.

Cathy

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Oh my word!!! THis room is perfect if I may say so myself! Love the color scheme girl! I can't wait for baby G to make his entrance! Most of my gifts match his room decor, huh?!?!?!

Happy Monday!

René said...

Averill, you have done an amazing job! I love every detail! Baby G. is one lucky baby.

-Rene

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I love the color palette, the rug and mix of patterns! This is strange, for some odd reason I had a dream last night in which I went to your house and you showed me the new nursery! So...I'm cracking up that I actually get to see it in this post today. Seriously odd...
Janell

laxsupermom said...

Beautiful job! The blue on the walls is such a restful color and I love the rug. Bright and fun for floor time. I love the monogram decal. It really does look handpainted. Thanks for sharing.

Anne said...

I love it, Averillita! And I see a familiar bunny sitting on the (not loud at all, and very chic) polka dot glider! :) You're on the home stretch, Mama, and everything is looking fab!

Emily A. Clark said...

Love the rug and completely agree about babies and ceiling fans! Mobiles are over-rated :) Looks like such a calming, cozy spot for baby-rocking. Can't wait to see who's going to live in this little spot.

Taylor Renee said...

This looks wonderful! The colors are great - perfect for baby without being overly pastel!

Kara said...

Super cute!! I love the blue and orange together. The window seat is probably one of my favorite things in the room and that rug!

Anonymous said...

Love it! You managed to make it beautiful and fun but still keep it simple. Great job :)

Kitty said...

Love it! So happy for you! You'll spend so many wonderful hours in your rocking chair! xo kity

Laura@JourneyChic said...

What a cheerful room! The glider looks so comfy, and I love that slim bookcase. I don't have a mobile in my kiddo's room, either. The space would just be too cluttered. We have the "Ocean Wonders Aquarium" inside the crib for him to play with and so far that's been enough. I'm sure yours will be quite content with the ceiling fan!

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Averill, you did such an amazing job!! It's really beautiful, and you're right - it will only become more fabulous as your little boy starts to live in it. So happy for you guys!

Kristen said...

soooo cute! i love the "G" and the color palette, and everything you used! wonderful!

Unknown said...

The nursery turned out very cute, my favorite feature is the window seat!

Julie said...

It looks gorgeous!

I like how you didn't use a bumper. I don't like the one that my Dwell set came with, so I think I will just forego it.

Samantha said...

So pretty. Love the stripped rug.

I want to be a baby.

Patricia Shepard said...

G is for gorgeous!

alison giese Interiors said...

Wow, what a lucky baby! You did a great job pulling it all together, and I especially love that rug!

Mary Catherine said...

Beautiful! You did an amazing job!

lizziefitz said...

Baby g is one lucky baby! What a chic room. I am in love with that rug , ahhhh stripes:)

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

It looks great Averill!

And can I say that I've always wanted a window seat!

stacy said...

Looks fantastic! Great job. I love the changer/dresser.

A Loopy Life said...

So pretty! Very inspiring, too -- I think that book case is genius and I just might have to get one as well! I'm still waiting on the Dwell Studio striped rug ($120 from the Foundary!) but I didn't realize how big it really is till I saw it here in your reveal!

Happiness Is... said...

Fun!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Averill,
It turned out great!!! I painted the fan blades of my duaghter's ceiling fan with dragonflies when she was little. Paint the blades white and embellish them...a little DIY and no mobile needed!

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Adorable! Love the orange & blue color palette. The "g" is perfect!

You might consider adding a little side table by the nursing chair... you'll be seating there a lot for the first few months!

xo,
cristin

whereorwhat said...

I like it so much! I love the stripes red carpet with the blue walls.

GREAT JOB!

Congrats from Spain =)
http://whereorwhat.blogspot.com/

Maureen Stevens said...

absolutely precious & adorable Averill! I adore the blue + orange! The polka dot chair, striped rug & shade, all the little details. Can't wait to see a pic of Baby G!

Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

The room is beautiful! I especially love the bookcase - it looks like it's built in - did you paint the back of it, or was it an open back?

The glider is really cute, and I love the monogram on the wall!

Shanna said...

It is lovely, and it's nice that you'll be able to appreciate all your hard work, as you'll be in there quite a bit! I love your blog, and as a former Latin major (uh, and fellow attorney!), I very much appreciate the name of your blog :)

Kathysue said...

Oh Averill, Baby G's room is just precious but chic at the same time. I love, love the glider and it was a perfect choice. What a fun filled room. I love it!!! I am so excited for you only a few weeks to go!!! Yay,Kathysue

Emily @ CushionSource said...

Hi! Just saw that you had linked to us and wanted to say thanks not only for your order but also for spreading the word! Your window seat cushions look fantastic and your baby's room design is absolutely chic and fantastic! Any time you'd love to share your photos and your story, we'd love to feature your experience and inspiration for your room! (marketing [at] cushionsource [dot] com)

Kate Collins said...

It looks fantastic!! I love the window seat cushions, the floor lamp, the crib and the artwork. Bravo! Great job!

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} said...

What a lovely, lovely room!! I adore the pops of orange...and the patterns are so fun. the room will be enjoyed for years!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails