Thursday, February 3, 2011

Baby Shower Recap


I wanted to share some photos of my baby shower to show off how amazingly talented, creative and generous my friends (and sister) are. While I love design, party planning is definitely not my forte. My go-to formula is to book a private or semi-private room at a fun restaurant, get my friend Natalie to make invitations and then just show up! In contrast though, my friend Jess (blogger behind Jackson's Lane) is an amateur party planner (who should maybe consider going pro!). She turned my friend Christina's beautiful home into the perfect spot for a shower with beautiful, tasteful decorations, thoughtful details and some really great food (much of which I have my sister Chef Babs to thank for).


The theme of the shower was "feather the nest," so of course the primary decorations were birds and feathers. I loved the feather wreath over the fireplace decorated with BB Conn's initial and a glittery bird. The colors are very "Martha Stewart" to me and then blend in perfectly with the home's more traditional decor, softer color palette and soft gold touches. I think that's a huge part of decorating for a party: the theme and decorations really need to work with your home's existing decor.



Simple white roses and blue hydrangea are scattered throughout the downstairs in small clusters. I think this is a great way to get a lot of bang for your buck and you can be guaranteed to get a sophisticated look when you keep arrangements simple, tight and petite.


Large manzanita branches in a tall vase (filled with feathers, of course!) create a fanciful tree for more glittery birds. Guests were asked to write notes and advice on pretty paper ornaments and hang them on the tree. I thought this was a great touch and a wonderful keepsake for the honoree -- and it would work equally well at a bridal shower.

A close up of the tags. I thought the paper was absolutely lovely and the tiny birds nests brought texture and a bit of color.


The ladies show that even paper plates and plastic cutlery can look chic with the right presentation. I also love the mint julep cup for the floral arrangement.



Jess decorated the dessert buffet with arrangements featuring baby/toddler pictures of Dave and I. The height of the arrangements work perfectly with the tall mirror and the pictures add the perfect personal touch. Again, this would work equally well at a bridal shower or engagement party.



The dessert spread. Don't you love the cupcakes decorated to look like bird nests? My sister made them with toasted coconut and candied eggs. My sister and I joked that I'd get gestational diabetes from my shower! Given that she insisted I take the leftover cake home, I'm starting to fear that there may have been some truth in our jests!


The favors were cookies made by Jess's sister-in-law, who turns out to be (in addition to an OB/GYN) a fabulous baker/decorator. I love how they incorporate my nursery colors as well as the shower's avian theme. They tasted as good as they look, I can assure you.


The lovely hostesses. Thanks ladies for a very memorable baby shower!

24 comments:

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Your baby shower decor looked AMAZING! love the theme and how it was carried throughout everything from the decor to the food!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

Hi!

Wow! This is so pretty! I loved seeing all the pictures and I can tell you did it all to perfection!

Good job!

Have a wonderful day!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Post of the Day: Gorgeous Interiors Pictures.

stacy :) said...

I agree - Jess should really consider doing this professionally! Everything looks so beautiful. You look fantastic, too, by the way, mama! Glad y'all had a wonderful shower and I'm happy you liked the cookies!! :) s

Sarah (Matters of Style) said...

Beautiful!! What creative girls!

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

What a beautiful shower! Such great friends you have!

Christy said...

Wow what a gorgeous affair indeed. I totally wish I could scoop the desserts off the screen! So glad to hear you had such a great time, Averill!

Julie said...

What a wonderful shower!

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

You have some seriously talented friends/siblings!! Wow, what a beautiful shower - that must have been such an honor to be so fluffed over!

Unknown said...

Those cards and cookies are just gorgeous. What a beautiful party!!! You are a lucky girl indeed!!!

xo elizabeth

Laura@JourneyChic said...

What a pretty shower! I love the tree with the baby photos of you guys and advice from friends - great idea. My shower was also a little bird theme and my cupcakes looked just like yours (and tasted amazing...wish I could have one again). Hope you had a ball!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous post! I love EVERYTHING about the fabulous decorations. What a divine group of friends and family! I LOVE birds and birds nests, so this post was perfect for me. I am so happy that "Its Great to be Home" alerted me to your wonderful blog. Great pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

absolutely beautifully arranged baby shower. hope you're feeling wonderful and getting ready for your sweet baby's arrival :)

Maple said...

We had such a blast throwing it! I'm also so happy that we got to come over and see all of the wonderful decorating you've done around your place. Tell Matilda I'm sorry I accidentally set off her bark collar...I was still cracking up about that today!

Linda Leyble said...

I just loved everything! Now I just have to find a pregnant friend! What fabulous ideas. The bird and nest theme - so apropos. Loved the food all displayed so artistically. Those tags with the tiny bird's nests - someone with great eyesight did those! I have to get my kids to do that one.

Definitely - go commercial...send this to a baby magazine! Martha...The Food Network! Wonderful job. Glad I found your blog (through Paloma, I believe). Congratulations to you!

Linda Leyble
www.studioofdecorativearts.blogspot.com

Kitty said...

Feather the Nest! I love it! I was just wondering about you the other day, whether you had the baby yet?!? I've been off of blogging for awhile, but I would love to repost this on Shindigs.... Happy Gestating! xo kitty

Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

What great pictures - the theme was done so well! I love the little cookies done in your new baby's nursery colors, too.

Thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

Aw! Congratulations and happy shower, Averill!!! The girls did a fabulous job, its all so elegant and sophisticated..definitely more up my alley than baby cutesy. Dessert spread looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

I dropped by again to see your post. Got to enjoy the baby shower all over again!

Kathysue said...

Averil, what an adorable idea for a shower. She did not miss one detail. Isn't it fun washing and folding Baby G's clothes and putting them away neatly in the little drawers. I loved seeing little outfits hanging in the closet and the shoes, oh the tiny little shoes. You have so much to look forward too. Such precious memories are about to be made.

By the Way , You look amazingly beautiful and glowing!! xo KS

Connie @ Sogni e Sorrisi said...

How wonderful for you! I love all the attention to detail, that's what really elevates event decor to the next level.

René said...

What a treat! Your shower looks like it was out of a magazine Averill. I definitely think your friend should go pro. Love the nesting theme.

I hope you are well.

-Rene

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Your shower looked wonderful Averill. So tastefully thought out; each and every element. You have incredibly creative friends and sister who gave you a great memory.

Can't wait for baby to arrive!! Take much care and will be anxiously awaiting the news.

Deb

annie@mostlovelythings said...

What a beautiful shower! What a fun theme. Love the branches with tags for notes or advice. Everyone must be gushing over every detail...including the cupcakes that looked like little nests!!

Sarah Klassen said...

This is such a beautiful and stylish shower! Averill, you truly deserve it—you are so kind and such a great friend... so so excited to see this little one of yours :)

Also, the nursery is looking fabulous! So inviting and fresh. I love the cheerful feel and the great patterns that you have incorporated into the space— well done!!

sending hugs your way,
Sarah

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails