Monday, February 21, 2011

10 Reasons I Love this Master Bedroom



1. The color palette. Wheat and cream punctuated with cool slate blue and rich coffee is soothing, gender neutral and classic. The perfect choice for a master bedroom where you're looking to balance competing tastes and create a sense of calm. 

2. The iron chandelier with wood bead trim (Visual Comfort). It's a wonderful mix of materials that lends the traditional shape a very up-to-date feel.

3. The bold curtains. While the fabrics used on the bed are quiet and monochromatic, the African inspired print from Peter Fasano lends a much needed graphic punch. The dark coffee tone picks up on the dark wood of the bed frame while the slate blue trim ties in with the other blue accents used throughout the space.

4. The ceiling moldings! I'm a sucker for a gorgeous ceiling, and the beautiful trim here is classic, but still streamlined enough to work in a more transitional space.

5. The greek key rug. I'm of the opinion that greek key is a pattern that goes with absolutely everything -- and it's a great way to bring in some geometry when you're working with florals, paisleys or other more intricate (and feminine) patterns. Besides, I love something soft underfoot in the bedroom. 

6. The sunburst mirror. Despite being ubiquitous, sunburst mirrors are still a favorite of mine -- and this one from Ironies is absolutely stunning.


7. The curtains hung around the bed. The oatmeal linen (the same linen used on the duvet) with the wrought-iron hardware is simple and unfussy -- essential for keeping the room more gender neutral and adult. The subtle ribbon and button trim on the drapery adds a touch of glamorous luxury while still keeping the overall look understated. I also like how high they're mounted (to the height of the windows), which accentuate the high ceilings and help balance out the large windows adjacent to the bed.

8. That painting (by Christina Long). While I'm a lover of art for art's sake (and not just for matching your decor), that painting does an outstanding job of bringing together all the colors used in the room. It's also lovely and intriguing in its own right. Bonus: Christina Long's work is also relatively affordable!

9. The beautiful throw pillows. If the bed is the star of a bedroom, then the throw pillows are the star's jewelry -- and it's essential that they shine. The mix of fabrics and styles on these pillows is lovely and tie in the room's color palette without feeling matchy-matchy. Note how the bolster includes a trim reminiscent of the drapery's zebra-inspired print while the euro shams incorporates the embroidered linen on the bed's drapery.

10. In short, this room epitomizes classic, thoughtful design at its best.

Photography Credit: Traditional Home. Interior Design: Amy Bergman.

16 comments:

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Ah yes, I love this room too. I blogged about the curtain fabric a while back...still want to find a project to use it!

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

I love all the fabrics, the throw pillows and that great moulding!

Unknown said...

That's my exact bed! The rest of my bedroom is not as fabulous...but still...that is my bed! :)

Interior Design Musings said...

I totally agree with you! It's stunning. I did a design series on canopy beds in January and I NEVER saw one like this! Love the idea of that wrap around drapery rod. Also, the close up of those pillows and all that detail on them and the bed panels - simply divine. This room is definitely working for me! Mandi
www.interiordesignmusings.blogspot.com

Karen said...

That is a beautiful room, so many great touches. I didn't even notice the painting until you pointed it out.

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

I'm not usually a big fan of canopies but this one is really lovely! The curtains and the bed make me swoon... :)

Christy said...

This is so funny Averill - at first glance I thought the bedroom was boring, but then I read your post and agreed with everything you said. You totally talked me into thinking it's a cool room. But still, not enough color for my own house! :) Hope you're feeling well! Not long now!

Sanity Fair said...

I remember when I first saw this room - it really jumped out at me. Especially because my shower curtain is the same pattern as those curtains!!! Grey is such a beautiful neutral - I'm glad to see it's enjoying a resurgence! Great analysis Averill. You are spot on!

René said...

This is a gorgeous room Averill. The colors are nice too - very tranquil. The molding above the bed is a very nice touch too.

-Rene

Savor Home said...

I wish I could make that picture come to life and transport it to my bedroom. It's so tranquil! I hope you are feeling well!

Laura@JourneyChic said...

I adore the colors - probably because they're similar to what I have in my own master bedroom! The button detailing on the bed curtains is so pretty.

Samantha said...

I like that curtain. too. Not overdone and even looks DIYable.

Daniela said...

Gorgeous! I think the curtains are hung in an interesting manner too.

Megan // Honey We're Home said...

Thanks for telling me where the art is from- we so need something like that for our home. We have mirrors up, but no art!

casey at loft and cottage said...

Great breakdown! I fell hard for this room's details too, esp. the art, the pillows, the curtain trim...

Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

It is beautiful - I love the curtain fabric, too!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails