Thursday, April 22, 2010

Shop Like a Design Blogger: Material Girls

This week's great shopping tips come from Lauren, who runs the Houston-based arm of the multi-city blog Material Girls. Although Lauren got her design training at OU, Lauren now lives and works in Houston as an interior designer specializing in kitchens and baths at Kitchen & Bath Concepts. In addition to her day job, Lauren is preparing to launch her own interior design business, Lauren Haskett Fine Design. It goes without saying, I think, that I can't wait to be able to afford her services in the (hopefully) not-too-distant future.

* * *

Thank you so much for including me, Averill! I love this concept and I have greatly enjoyed the series so far. As a designer I have access to innumerable trade-only resources, but I thought I'd share my favorite "retail" joints I scope out for clients and myself!

1. Fyndes - Vintage Heaven on the Internet! Ebay not your thing? No problem, this well edited selection of everything from furniture to art is way less stressful with new products added constantly.

Vintage Italian Table - yes, please!

The lucite arms and legs on this chair are stunning. I'd love to redo this in a bright chevron print fabric.



2. Fabricadabra - Ikat pillows in so many great colors and patterns!




3. Mockingbird Manor - my go-to Oklahoma City staple. Run by owner, Liz Brown, this darling house converted into store on Western Avenue has it all. I could spend hours in here (and have)! I really miss it now that I live in Houston and always make a trip by there when I'm in OKC.

4. Excess, Blue Hills, Arbor, and Marburger Farms bi-annual Antique Shows in Warrenton & Round Top, Texas. I can not tell you how much I love being less than two hours away from this! It is amazing, something you can't explain...you must experience it firsthand. You name it, you can find it.




These petrified wood stumps were absolutely stunning in person!

5. HomeGoods - it's pretty embarrassing how many HomeGoods finds have ended up in this designer's home. Lamps, bedding, decorative boxes, agate bookends, and more lamps! You must go in the store with a discriminating eye, buy more than you need, get it home, and edit!

6. Furniture Outlets - Horchow Finale, Pottery Barn, Wisteria, and Restoration Home Outlets are TREASURE TROVES. I love my Missoni teapot I scored at Horchow Finale in Dallas for under $30!

The best part about the Pottery Barn outlet? The Williams Sonoma Home furniture and accessories! The PB outlet in San Marcos, Texas runs various specials weekly so call before you go. You may hit an, "extra 50% off furniture" sale!

Last but not least, read design blogs! Blogs like Averill's are such an excellent source for new websites, shops, designers, and inspiration.

Next Week's Guest Blogger: Shannon from Pink Wallpaper!

27 comments:

Karena said...

Thank you for featuring Lauren of Material Girls, I always read her posts (and yours) Thes e are great finds!! Your post below still has me yearning for one more garden stool!

Karena
Art by Karena

Design Esquire said...

Thanks for sharing your sources! I love this series.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I must tell you that when I was skimming through my blog feed and saw that Mockingbird manor was referenced my heart skipped a beat. I am currently studying abroad, and is it sick that this is one place that I am dying to go home to?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the introduction to Lauren! I'm a big fan of Home Goods too, and it sounds like she has access to some really fun local shops.

Nichole@40daysof said...

I've clearly been missing the boat by not heading to San Marcos. And not being a good enough Home Goods shopper. I almost never find stuff there. Something is wrong with me!



http://40daysof.wordpress.com/2010/04/22/an-update-running-ear-buds-and-mr-bingley/

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Love the Material Girls blog! Some great recommendations here.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Fyndes is a great resource!! Fun to look...and wish for many of the items. I love love love this series. Janell

Laura@JourneyChic said...

This post makes me want to take a trip to Texas! I bet those antique shows are a blast.

Anonymous said...

I have become addicted to lanterns. And Home Goods has been my go to place for them. I go weekly just to get my fix!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Another fantastic post and really great photos and resources! Thank you Lauren!!!

Unknown said...

The first two sources sound perfect for me! Thanks!

Sanity Fair said...

ikat pillows! I love these selections - so wonderful. The Material Girls are wonderful. Fabulous taste!
-Sanity Fair

Lauren said...

Homegoods is SO hit & miss...I try to avoid it on the weekends!

Dwelling & Design, so nice to meet a fellow OU ID girl - love your blog!!!

Laura - it's totally worth the trip!

Kathysue said...

Averill what a wealth of information we are getting from all these wonderful guest bloggers. I forgot about Fabracadabra, good to be reminded. I am loving that you are doing this, it is original and I think it fills a wonderful slot in blogland, Kathysue
PS thanks for your sweet comments on my porch spruce-up, it is turning into a bit of a saga. I put together my greek key stool today. I even used an allen wrench for the first time.Tomorrow spray paint flat black!! I am on my way1 Kathysue

laura @ hollywood housewife said...

This is a fantastic resource guide! I already love Mockingbird Manor and HomeGoods, but I loved Fabrica and Fyndes. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I love Lauren! She has such fabulous taste in every sense of the word. This is a great list.

Tammy@InStitches said...

Hi, I came over from MG. This is a great series, I'll have to check out the others.

Samantha said...

Wow. Gorgeous picks. Loved every single thing.

Alexandra Rae said...

Thank you for the great resources. Never knew about Fyndes.

Alexandra Rae said...

BTW Love your blog! and happy to now be following. Just found you via Material Girls.

Mark (Fyndes) said...

Your obvious passion for design and antiques really shines in your blog. Thanks for sharing your discoveries and thanks for this wonderful series. Something to look forward to each week!

Sarah Klassen said...

Wonderful recommendations! This series is so much fun...

Beth Connolly said...

Some great ideas and a fun series.

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Great recommendations!

xo,
cristin

Kathysue said...

Averill, I gave you a shout out on my blog today!! I did a footstool make over and I remembered your master bath post and how wonderful the stool you did. Take a peek when you have a chance, Kathysue

ashlina {the decorista} said...

how did i miss this? what a fabulous post. i am loving this series SO much. awesome averill...so thrilled to see this! :)

Andrew said...

That's fabulous. The dresses displayed are fantastic. I love Lauren! She has such fabulous taste in every sense of the word.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails