Thursday, April 15, 2010

Shop Like a Design Blogger: High-Heeled Foot in the Door

It's Thursday, which means it's time for another great installment of my "Shop Like a Design Blogger" series. This week, we'll be getting the low-down from Camila of High-Heeled Foot in the Door. Not only does Camila share my love for color and pattern, but she is (unlike me, I'll admit) a master of stretching her dollars farther than you'd ever think possible. Need evidence? Just take a look at what she did for her sister's apartment (see HERE) or her own guest bedroom (see HERE). Both are completely inspiring...and I've still got a stack of Roberta Roller Rabbit napkins ready to be turned into quick throw pillows for my banquet to prove it.

* * *

I was so excited when Averill emailed me with the news of this series. Then I started to freak out a bit. Decorating is my profession, but I don’t go to as many glamorous shops as one would think. I’m all about keeping it real so here are my favorite stops to shop for clients and myself.

1. Walmart. Ah yes a day in my life is so glamorous with sometimes daily trips to Walmart. Normally it’s for spray paint!

I love KRYLON -- they have a million colors to choose from and are only $2.97 a bottle. I’ve tried other brands and this one is always my favorite! Plus it’s always fun to get asked for ID. Ah I live for the days when I still pass for younger than 18! Can you tell I’m slowly (ok, quickly) approaching my 29th birthday!

They also have a fun selection of furniture pieces. This piece has been calling my name for a while now:


Zebra plus nailhead trim plus $89 price tag makes Camila a happy girl.

2. JCPENNEY. I know JC PENNEY’s doesn’t always have the chicest reputation, but it’s my go to source for good quality budget pieces.


They have great prices on window treatments. My favorite are these. They have a great look, come in a variety of colors and are only $18.99 per 84” panel.


They are also a great source for lighting. This has quickly become a favorite. The whole Cindy Crawford collection is full of goodies.

3. LOWES. A lot of my projects for clients and myself are of the DIY variety which means multiple trips to a home improvement. So while Jon goes around gathering supplies I tend to wander. My wandering lead me to Lowes mirror section and I’m in love.


This beauty is only $56.78! There is a look alike from CSN that even has the same name for $217 so yay for LOWES!

4. Paper Mojo. Artwork can be expensive so I love framing pieces of pretty paper. This shop has loads to choose from and you can even search by color.

Isn’t this one pretty?

5. Trim Fabric. While I do have some fun places around me to dig for vintage trim when I want something fast and affordable I head to Trim Fabric.

Here is a recent favorite:

6. Quilt Fabric Closeouts. I’m a big believer in the power o toss pillow. Switching your pillows out can give you a whole different look in a matter of seconds. No need for expensive fabrics. For budget, budget jobs I head here.

Greek Key fabric for $4.60 a yard!:

7. Big Lots. People are always shocked when I mention Big Lots, but treasures can be found there. During Christmas time I was lucky enough to snag a ceramic garden stool for $20!

I was just there again during the weekend and they are back in stock in the outdoor section! Run. If you don’t like the color choices grab one in white and spray paint it!

8. Thrift Shops. I adore thrift shops! I love knowing that a chair I bought had a past. It makes me happy! I know thrift stores vary depending on where you live, but I seem to have a lot of luck with St. Vincent de Paul. They seem to have them in different states you I would check to see if your area has one.

Still regretting not picking up this one:

It was $44 and actually had a matching pair!

9. D Lawless Hardware. Sometimes your furniture just needs a little bling to spruce up a room. This is my go to source for inexpensive knobs. They have so many great picks. This glass knob is only $2.67 and they have many colors to choose from.

10. F. Schumacher. Now I know was suppose to pick vendors that everyone could use, but to-the-trade vendor F. Schumacher is a favorite of mine.

Have you seen the new colorway of Chiang Mai Dragon? It’s heaven.

Now, in order to pick some up you do have to go through a to the trade vendor. If you are currently working with an interior designer/decorator then you can have your pick of designer fabric. If you aren’t working with a designer and don’t need design help, but want a to-the-trade product I offer a service where it’s a flat rate of $25 per vendor to process your order and you can order as much as you like without a mark-up! It’s the perfect solution for all of your to-the-trade wants. You can email me at cpavone0107@gmail.com if you need any help.

Okay, I think I’ve given away most of my designer secrets so this post is going to have to come to a close. A big thank you to Averill! It was a lot of fun to put this list together. I love finding great deals and sharing the sources is even better.

Next Week's Guest Blogger: Lauren from Material Girls!

30 comments:

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Great info! I am going to have to check out JC Penny.....really like the lamp.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I am finding this series incredibly interesting...great finds. I would not think to go to Walmart or Big Lots, thanks! Janell

Karen said...

This post will be bookmarked! I really appreciate all the great ideas and resources. I've been looking for a source for paper and now I have one.

It's funny that Big Lots was mentioned. I stopped in there the other day looking for a basket and saw a great white vase with a quatrefoil pattern. If I had somewhere to put it, it would have gone in the cart.

Karena said...

I am totally inspired!! Don't know where to start first. The garden stools perhaps and that Lowes Mirror!! Thanks to Camila!


Karena
Art by Karena

Kathysue said...

Love her down to earth approach, I shop at all of these places also and call it treasure hunting, you just never know what you will find. Of course it is never anything that you will keep forever but it is a fun way to spruce up a room on the low. I love these post Averill, great idea! Kathysue

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Love the mock up that you did with all of my items. Those pink knobs look amazing with the paper I picked out!

Thanks so much for having me here!

xoxo,

Camila

Marija said...

I have to give it to Camilla - she has some highs and lows that are chic, affordable (with the trade discount, of course :) and actually go together! I would totally use that mirror, with that paper, that lamp, some of that light blue fabric and those knobs. I'd happily take the chair, too. Bummer that you missed out on that one!!

Marija

Tonia Lee Smith said...

I shop at all the places you mention, and the Krylon $2.97, its much higher here in Dallas. It's my favorite brand of spray paint too. Lovely blog, found you via Three Men and a Lady.

Pink Wallpaper said...

love that you are keeping it real :) a girl after my own heart!!

Couture Carrie said...

Exquisite post, darling Averill!
I am in love with that zebra ottoman!

xoxox,
CC

LindsB said...

I love this post!!

Great info from Camilla as usual!

beachhouse etc. said...

ok ...you are a real power shopper i can tell good job.girl..
xoxosuzanne

alison giese Interiors said...

Love Camila's list! I check in on Wallie World's site, but managed to miss that zebra bench/ottoman - what a steal!

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Yes, love this list! Camila is so stylish and practical. Love that about her.

Also, be sure to drop by - giving away a very chic LED floor lamp. It has a cute little remote and can make up to 16 million color combinations. My kids are going nuts over it.

xo,
cristin

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Bravo Camilla. I did a whole post once devoted to the wonders of Walmarts Krylon spray paint. You gave us many resources that are often over looked. Thrift stores are always the best aren't they. I think they feed our need for the great hunt, hands-down. Thanks Averill and great post Camilla x

Christy said...

What a great addition to your fabulous series Averill. I am perplexed by these stores that charge hundreds more for what appears to be the same EXACT product that you can find cheaper elsewhere. And I LOVE that these designers are telling us WHERE we can find them cheaper - love me a good deal!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

JCP is so overlooked by most. I put in fantastic wood blinds for a client's sidelights!

I haven't been to Big Lot's in a very long time...thanks for the reminder!

annechovie said...

fun to read Camila's tips, Averill - this is a great series.

Jen said...

That zebra bench is from Wal-Mart? Are you serious?? I've been pricing those for awhile now and I can't seem to find one under $200. Guess where I'm heading this weekend?... Yup, Wal-Mart!

Sarah said...

i think these are the lamps i have been looking for!! great find. also, i am also a big lots shopper! small towns...

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

super list! i loved hearing your secrets.

Anonymous said...

I like this series, Averill! Camila's making me sad that I don't have a Big Lots close to me though. :-)

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I'm SO enjoying this series. Now I just need to start doing something with all of the great advice...

Laura@JourneyChic said...

I love Camilla's blog! That hardware store looks awesome - I've already visited the site to check out knobs for the nursery's dresser.

Unknown said...

Averill, I am such a huge fan of this series! Camila had some great shopping tips! I need to spray paint something..I've got the itch!

Beth Connolly said...

Paper Mojo is a great source.

Tracy Watier said...

Great sources! I always forget about WalMart for things like paint because there's a Lowe's that's closer. But next time I need dog food and paper towels and spray paint all at the same time, I'll remember! And, as much as I hate the Big Lots near me, I should go cruise thru the garden section. Can't resist a $20 garden stool. Thanks Camilla and Averill!

CouponWebz | UPrinting Coupons said...

The zebra print ottoman looks really cool, and the nailhead trim definitely adds some edge! As if the print wasn't cool enough! :) I love thrift shops as well, there's always a good find waiting for me to discover!

Tammy@InStitches said...

I'll be hitting the Big Lots today for a garden stool. They had some at Christmas but in the wrong color and for some reason I didn't even think to spray paint it ! And I'm the spray paint queen.

sherry said...

I found you through High Heeled Foot blog and I must say I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I had just discovered her blog the same day and after reading this, went to Big Lots twice before snatching up two white garden stools!! MADE MY DAY, who are we kidding..MADE MY WEEK!! I love the useful down to earth info that you post and will be back for more! THANK YOU!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails