Monday, January 18, 2010

Mood Board Monday: Glamorous Bathroom

German Silver Bowfront Chest (Wisteria; $2499)

Today is Mood Board Monday over at Pewter + Sage. The challenge this week was to design a room around one of two gorgeous chests from Wisteria. I selected the German Silver Bowfront Chest for its gorgeous hand-applied silver-leaf finish and its charming glass hardware.

I decided to do something a bit different this time by repurposing this chest as a bathroom vanity. I love the look of proper furniture in a bathroom and I thought this chest would perfectly suite a petite city bathroom for a glamorous city gal. It's feminine and shapely, with a graceful presence that would befit a young, single gal in the Big City who is short on space but long on style. As for budget, let's pretend our client has a rather deep pocketbook (after all, it's much more fun to fantasize without too many restrictions, isn't it?).


Despite the strong traditional feeling of the piece, I wanted the setting to still feel modern. Inspired by Jenna Lyons' gorgeous master bathroom (featured last year in domino), I thought I'd capitalize on a major trend in interior design this year and paint the walls a stunning matte black wall. A traditional stand-alone bathtub with a deep charcoal exterior would also enhance the mood.

Canadian House & Home, April 2008

What I love about using black as the dominant color in a bathroom is that it's just so unexpected, though in truth the result can be just as soothing as the ubiquitous all-white bathroom. Since the shape and styling of the chest means that I can't go totally modern, I'd add some very traditional bathroom elements (white subway tile, nickel hardware) to play up the vintage feeling of the chest and to create some tension against the very modern black walls. Something along the lines of this gorgeous vintage-inspired black and white bathroom that was featured last year in Canadian House & Home.


I'd start by painting the walls a true black -- I like Benjamin Moore's Black if you're looking for a black without a hint of green or blue. I'd tile the walls around the bathtub in a classic white subway tile with some narrow black trim. My major splurge on this project would be the gorgeous cast iron free-standing tub from Waterworks in a deep charcoal metallic finish. Yes, it's pricey, but it would make the room.

For the vanity's top, I'd use a small piece of gorgeous Nero Marquina marble. The classic Spanish marble's strong veining of white and silver will help tie in the vanity's silver finish with the classic black and white basketweave floor. I'd keep the sink a simple white porcelain undermount and use classic nickel fixtures. To mix things up, I'd add a mirror and vanity lighting with Chinoiserie influences. To up the glam factor, overhead lighting would come in the form of a petite flushmount seeded glass and silver fixture -- just the kind of piece you'd imagine stumbling on at a Parisian flea market. Next to the tub, I'd keep a small side table for books, towels or bath products that could also do double duty as a stool. The silver leaf finish will speak to the finish on the vanity and help tie the two areas of the bathroom together. Finally, I'd introduce another pattern into the room by covering the window in a classic roman shade made out of this white and silvery gray geometric fabric.

Source list (clockwise, from top left): 1. Hampstead Mirror from Williams-Sonoma Home ($505.75). 2. Double Chinoiserie Bath Light from Circa Lighting ($378). 3. Vintage Widespread Sink Set from Restoration Hardware ($429). 4. Michael S. Smith signature tile from Ann Sacks. 5. Michael S. Smith mosaic basketweave tile from Ann Sacks. 6. Nero Marquina marble from Ann Sacks. 7. Candide Cast Iron Freestanding Oval Bathtub from Waterworks ($9,945). 8. Winsdor Smith Archipelago fabric (in Mist) from Avid Home ($49/yd). 9. Small Paris Flea Market Flush Mount with Seeded Glass Trim from Circa Lighting ($420). 10. Silver Leaf Five Leg Table from Ethan Allen ($359).

Be sure to check out all the other great design ideas for this gorgeous chest HERE.

27 comments:

alison giese Interiors said...

Gorge!
Well done!

Anonymous said...

I just pulled that same CH&H bathroom photo for a post I was working on. Very sophisticated, glamorous bathroom you've created. I think your young, single gal in the big city would love it! Great job.

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

I love that you decided to put the chest in a bathroom, and your design is awesome - so chic and glam with a hint of vintage - I think I'm going to move in!!

Couture Carrie said...

Gorgeous, darling!
Love that bathtub!

xoxox,
CC

Karen said...

I wish I had such a glamorous space to get ready in the morning.

Dumbwit Tellher said...

You are good Averill, really good. Your springboard for a great bath utilizing the German chest was brilliant. Love all your choices. Hope you and Dave are doing well?
Cheers!
deb

Unknown said...

Your post just takes my breath away! Lovely-Lovely-Lovely!
Thanks for sharing.

Charla

Cafe Fashionista said...

This is so incredibly gorgeous - I think you should begin moonlighting as an interior decorator; I would totally hire you. And is it wrong that I imagine I would never leave the bathroom if this is what mine looked like? :)

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

This design would also work for a powder bath! LOVE! Janell

Maureen Stevens said...

I've always wanted to do a black room...Look at that chevron wood floors, amazing. Averill, u truly have the knack for this. I'll be taking a few design classes soon, can't wait when we start drawing!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

So pretty! I love everything that you've done. Also loving the new additions to your LR! Perfection!

Beth Connolly said...

Love it all!!!!

Southern Aspirations said...

Oh you've outdone yourself!! Gorgeous room. Side table works perfectly and I love the tile you've picked. Well done!!

Sarah said...

Wow, Averill! You've outdone yourself..I can not believe you tackled a bathroom...brilliant!!! This is totally sophisticated and elegant. Way to take the risk with the black walls, that will make all the difference. I'm so loving that geometric fabric for the roman shades..awesome!! Thanks so much for participating and continuing to impress!

LesleySW said...

I've been trying to push my husband into using black in our bathroom and he's not so sure. I'll make sure to point him toward this post!

Anonymous said...

i have been in love with that bathroom since i first saw it in domino and this is incredibly inspiring! and that chest it just perfect!

sophiedahydesigns said...

I used different black and white floor tiles in two of my bathrooms and the downstairs powder room and love them They are very much in keeping with my old home!

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Love this! Great idea using that beautiful chest as a vanity.

Christy said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I'll take one of the SMALL PARIS FLEA MARKET FLUSH MOUNT WITH SEEDED GLASS TRIM for my master bath, please. (sorry for the all caps - cut and pasted!) I love all of your choices, and hope some wealthy reader hires you to create this look in her home! Wouldn't that be fabulous?!

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

That bathtub would be quite the splurge, but it would totally make this room. ;-) Love all of the elements that you chose for this glamorous master bathroom.

Sanity Fair said...

Averill, everytime you do these moodboard/design groups, I'm just struck by what a detailed eye you have. This is just a marvelous combination of texture and pattern. I'd love to have this bathroom!
Isn't the overlapping squares pattern just incredible? I love symmetry, and I've been thinking about getting something from this set for literally years. I'm considering getting the chairs in white - with maybe green cushions? It makes me smile to think about it!

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

What a great idea to use this in a bathroom! I love the mirror and love the Parris Flea Market Flush Mount. The whole board is fabulous!

Roeshel said...

Great job! I love it! My kind of gorgeous retreat! :)

Roeshel

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Now this is my kind of bathroom! Love the Chinoiserie influences and basketweave tile. Perfection!

xo,
cristin

Jenn @ Dear Heart said...

Gorgeous... I would totally trade my apartment to live in that glam bathroom you cooked up. And the Wisteria chest? Just, wow.

Paula Grace Designs said...

Wow, that is one spectacular bath!
Paula Grace ~

Unknown said...

Very good blog!!!!
Making the best use of the available space is no mean a task. It certainly requires a lot of thinking. One of the most under-utilized areas is the bathroom, especially the Bathroom Vanity Top and the space below it.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails