As the countdown to the holidays continues and the specter of hosting seven people over Thanksgiving looms ever larger, my desire to get the new house in order has increasingly become a necessity. This weekend saw the completion of a few more random projects around the house and the delivery of some new pieces for the living room (finally!).
After weeks of waiting we finally got one of the pieces I purchased at Ethan Allen over Labor Day. My Rand wing chair arrived on Saturday and I absolutely love it! Between the nail head trim and the subtle metallic and blue hues in the fabric, I nearly swooned when I saw it in the show room back in September. If every room has a star, then this chair is a bona fide diva, and my hope is that the sofa (which should be arriving in two weeks) and other major pieces (not yet purchased) will play a supporting role as they compliment and hold their own against the chair without overpowering with it -- after all, two or more divas in a room can end very badly.
I've paired the wing chair with this greek key floor lamp that I bought from Shannon over at The Designer's Attic. Shannon (of Pink Wallpaper fame) features unique fabrics, accessories, lighting and small furniture pieces that she's scored in her years as a designer. It's a "must" follow for anyone on a perpetual hunt for unique, designer-y finds at wallet-friendly prices. I simply added an inexpensive shade from Shades of Light and a cheap-o harp and finial from Lowe's and -- voila! -- gorgeous floor lamp for under $100!
Ever the princess, Olivia is rather fond of it, too.
Progress was also made in my study as I added a ceiling medallion around the new chandelier that Dave so painstakingly hung last month. Because of the height of this room -- and the look on Dave's face when I suggested we add a ceiling medallion -- I used a ceiling medallion that came in two separate pieces, which allowed us to mount the molding around the existing fixture without having to remove it!
Since the medallion is made out of lightweight polyurethane, we installed it easily with just some heavy-duty glue (which saved us an additional step of caulking and painting over any nail holes!). Prior to mounting, I did repaint the ceiling medallion in our trim paint to ensure an exact match. I was a little concerned that the seams between the two pieces would show, but from the ground they blend indistinguishably with the petal detail. All in all, this was a quick and simple upgrade that took us under an hour (dry time for the paint not included).
And lest you think I've forgotten altogether, I'm also announcing the winner to the oh, kirby! giveaway tonight. Through the highly scientific process that is random.org, the winner is...
Christina, please email me with your address and choice of print. Many thanks also to everyone who participated in the giveaway and congratulations to Christina!