Monday, October 12, 2009

Mood Board Monday: Bold and Bright Kitchen


Today is Mood Board Monday over at Room Remix and PK's challenge to the design blogosphere was to design a mood board using the lime trellis fabric shown above (which, at less than $9/yard, is a wonderful and much less expensive alternative to KWID Imperial Trellis). Over the past few days I've been pulling together a post on decorating with turquoise (to come later this week!) and I noticed that quite a few of my inspiration photos paired the bold hue with a more muted shade of lime or chartreuse. Since I love how fresh and youtful this combination feels, I thought I'd create a mood board that incorporated the lime trellis fabric, together with lots of turquoise accents, into a modern cottage-style breakfast room.

But first, a few of my inspiration shots:

Sally Markham


Using these inspiration photos as a jumping off point, I designed a breakfast nook with a predominately white/neutral palette, but with strong hits of both turquoise and lime to keep things interesting. Style-wise, I'd describe the design as modern cottage, with classic cottage elements like wicker, sisal and plantation shutters sharing space alongside modern classics like the Saarinen table and the trellis print.

Sourcelist (clockwise from top left): 1. Bucharest Turquoise prints by Amy Butler ($166 for 24" x 24") 2. Blue Beaded Globe from Pieces Inc. ($695) 3. white plantation shutters 4. Saarinen round dining table in white laminate from Design Within Reach ($1543 for 35" diameter) 5. Sisal beige rug from Overstock.com ($76.49 for 5' x 8') 6. Captiva Side Chair from Crate&Barrel ($269) 7. Gwinnett Lane Turquoise china by Kate Spade ($12-$70).

Let's imagine this breakfast nook to be just that: a nook with just enough space for a small table and four chairs, and not a full room unto itself. Since this is all just pretend I'll play interior design god and ordain that the adjoining kitchen be white, traditional and not too formal. Think white subway tile backsplash, farmhouse sink and white Shaker cabinets. We'll then start our makeover by painting the kitchen a pale (but still bright) blue, like Farrow & Ball's Skylight. I'd keep the table and four chairs neutral and white, but keep things interesting by mixing the modern Saarinen table with streamlined (white) wicker chairs. Seat cushions would be upholstered in the trellis print, which would be an easy enough DIY.

Overhead I'd hang a fabulous turquoise globe pendant from Pieces, which is sized appropriately for a small dining area like the one imagined here. For some warmth and texture, I'd bring in a neutral sisal rug, which is a great option for a dining space as its inexpensive and easily cleaned. A triptych of Amy Butler's Bucharest Turquoise prints would help unify the turquoise and lime color palette. And finally, Kate Spade's fabulous Gwinnett Lane Turquoise china would be the perfect tableware to punch up the breakfast table (and the more ornate, traditional pattern speaks to Butler's damask prints).

Be sure to check out all the other participants' mood boards here for some more great inspiration on how to incorporate this versatile fabric into a variety of rooms and decor styles.

21 comments:

Southern Aspirations said...

Fantastic inspiration photos, first of all... but what a great job with your mood board! Far more than just a mood board, with an entire room design created! What a fresh Monday...

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Gorgeous!!! The turquoise pendant light is fab. Love your inspiration pix too.

Fun how we both paired the lime trellis fabric with a shade of blue.

xo,
cristin

Anonymous said...

Fresh and sophisticated! I love the color palette and that blue beaded globe is too much fun. Great job Averill! Thanks for joining the party.

Sanity Fair said...

I love lime and turquoise too - great board. The aqua headboard in picture one is my fav.

Tammy@InStitches said...

Very fresh and pretty. I love the prints and the dishes.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Oh, I just LOVE THIS! The light fixture is so cool, the Saarinen table, well...that is a dream.
And the dishes. I would be very happy to wake up to this room every morning!
Janell

alison giese Interiors said...

My fave: the "Turq-WAZ" chandy - killer!

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

LOVE it! I've been in love with turquoise lately, and I love how fresh the room you created feels!

Roeshel said...

What a beautiful mood board! It's gorgeous. I love the neutral cottage with the fun vibrant accents! Great job!

Roeshel

Karen said...

Love the prints!

Tracy Watier said...

So pretty! Love the mix of Saarinen and wicker and that beaded pendant is definitely the star of the show!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Fun! Love this new party!!!! Loved seeing what you did with this. That piece from pieces is amazing!!!

Sanity Fair said...

Hi Averill! I enjoy your blog so much, and I wanted to pass along the Kreativ Blogger award to you!!

Here are the Rules for this award:

1. Thank the person who nominated you for this award.
2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3. Link to the person who nominated you for this award.
4. Name 7 things about yourself that people may not know.
5. Nominate 7 Kreativ Bloggers.
6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know they've been nominated

Check out Sanity Fair for more info!

One of my Hobby Blogs said...

wow these rooms are fabulous - so vibrant - love the colours, You've got a great blog, I'm now following you too!

Laura@JourneyChic said...

This nook looks like it would fit in perfectly in my island beach house. If I had one. :) I like that you mixed in the sisal and wicker to keep the streamlined white table from looking too sterile.

Christy said...

Of course I'm in love with your mood board. And your inspiration photos make me swoon...How I would love to live in that first bedroom...
That globe you found is just so whimsical and delicious - I wish I had a place for it in my house!

Beth Connolly said...

Averill-Wonderful job on this.

Couture Carrie said...

Love these spaces! Gorgeous use of color! I especially adore that first bedroom!

xoxox,
CC

annechovie said...

Hmmmm, are you sure you're in the right profession, Averill? ;>)

Sarah Klassen said...

I very much enjoyed this post, Averill!

Those colors look fresh and fun together, and with the right furnishings, turns tailored and sophisticated.

JM Upholstery inc said...

It's just impressive the ability to create an impressive enviroment with those colors.

upholstery work made by JM UPHOLSTERY INC

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails