Monday, October 19, 2009

Finishing Touches on the Master Bathroom


Up until a week or two ago, the very thought of launching into another painting project at our house left Dave and I exhausted. After all, the memories of our painting marathon back in August were just too fresh. Now though that summer has turned into fall, I find myself with some renewed energy to focus on home improvement projects around the house and over the weekend I managed to talk Dave into repainting our master bath from the boring-but-pleasant builder basic beige to a lovely, rich medium-tone gray (Lamp Room Gray to be exact) that ties in perfectly with our blue-gray master bedroom.

And so, with the UT-OU {hook 'em horns!} and then UF-Arkansas {Go Gators!} football games in the background, Dave and I managed to knock out the painting in just a few hours. While the "before" and "after" photos aren't terribly different, I do think the bluer gray works nicely with the white ceramic tiles and white Silestone countertops. In addition to the new paint color, we've also swapped out the hardware with Restoration Hardware's vintage collection, which features a lovely combination of frosted glass and oil-rubbed bronze.


For a bit of personality, I also hung some antique Japanese woodblock prints (which I scored from Fuji Arts on the cheap years ago) that had been sitting in my closet. Frames are simple Pottery Barn gallery frames that I've used (and reused) for years.

My next project is going to be to replace the existing light fixture with something a tad less boring. I'd like to do something with some serious personality, but because of the height of the ceiling (9 feet), the fixture needs to be either flush mount or extend no lower than 6" or so. Right now, I'm debating between this Jonathan Adler flush mount or this Morovian star pendant. Since our house is currently tied 1-1 on which to go with, I thought I'd let you the readers cast the deciding vote.


17 comments:

Maureen Stevens said...

love the gray, i think it ties in better with the wood work. soooo exciting getting it all together :)

Southern Aspirations said...

Difference is subtle but I really like the gray! Fun to see the transformation.

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Even though I'm a total sucker for the Moravian star, I had to vote for the Jonathan Adler flushmount for that touch of modern that seems to continue throughout your home. But I don't think you can go wrong with either - awesome choices!!

Kristina at The Purple Pea said...

I am voting for Johnathan Adler. I'm a sucker for repetition with geometric shapes. Either one you pick, of course, will be perfect ;)

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I see my vote is in the minority...I love the Jonathan Adler fixture, seriously considered using it in one of my projects, but for some reason the star pendant appeals to me for this particular space.

I see the difference in the color, it is much more sophisticated and small changes can really add up!

Beth Connolly said...

Circa Lighting Basil Flushmount-I know you like quatrefoil and it is such an elegant and classic choice-more timeless and sophisticated than these-just a thought. I of course love the Farrow & Ball and the Japanese woodblocks.

Kellie Collis said...

THe new paint looks fabulous and i always a soft spot for anything Mr Adler! x

Christy said...

Like Liz, I normally gravitate for the star one, but in your room, in your house, I think the jonathan adler one reigns supreme. I LOVE this poll and I hope you do more. Let us help you make decisions! hehe!

Laura@JourneyChic said...

I've admired that Adler for a while, but also love Moravian stars. We have one in our entryway, and like the one in your photo, it only takes a 40w chandelier bulb. In a bathroom, I think you'll find that it's not enough light overhead. I love the artwork!

Building Materials Supplies said...

Finishing Touches on the Master Bathroom

Thanks for sharing

Averill said...

Beth - I love the basil flushmount! I've actually had my eye on it for a while now but can't manage to justify the pricetag. But maybe it's worth holding off on switching out the fixture until I can afford the splurge?

Laura - An excellent point re wattage! Sometimes I completely forget practical considerations like that. The room has a large window so it's fairly bright, but a 40w may still be inadequate for a bathroom....

Tammy@InStitches said...

They are both great but I voted for the Jonathan Adler one !

alison giese Interiors said...

Something tells me our votes are siding with yours! ;)

LOOOOOVE the new gray walls!

Couture Carrie said...

Gorgeous reno, darling!
Love the prints!
And I voted for the JA flush mount :)

xoxox,
CC

Kitty said...

i voted for the star, despite the fact the flushmount may be more appropriate. love your prints!

Anonymous said...

I love the new paint color. Yes, it's a subtle change, but definitely a good one! I vote Jonathan Adler

Beth Connolly said...

In the immortal words of Miles Redd, "Buy the best and you only cry once."

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails