Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Save or Splurge: Peacock Mirror



I love a gorgeously detailed mirror, and one of my current favorites is the Indian peacock mirror. Peafowls hold a lot of meaning in Hindu religion and the Hindu god Krishna is often portrayed wearing a peacock feather in his headband. Right now, peacock feathers and motifs have also been enjoying renewed popularity in interior design and fashion. A peacock mirror is a great way to bring in some subcontinental style into your home, and it works beautifully with exotic fabrics and accessories, as Kristen Hutchins and Hillary Thomas did in this Californian living room. A neutral palette doesn't compete with all the pattern and luxe detail and works beautifully with the Spanish-style architecture.


This exotic mirror is also a great counterpoint to more modern interiors. I love how the antiqued and intricate detailing of the mirror brings some patina and richness to all the sleek newness in the rest of the foyer. It's also a great hit of sparkle and light against the white walls and ebony floor. Very glamorous. Note too the placement of the mirror in this room. By placing the mirror at the end of the long wall, Adler creates a great focal point, leading the eye into the house.


Fortunately, there are iterations of this mirror in just about every price point. Do you think you can tell the difference between the ATM version (on sale for under $200) and the platinum one (priced at a jaw-dropping $2400)? Take the poll below to test out your eye (and don't cheat by clicking on the links first!) -- I'll post the answer tomorrow. And, if you were wondering, both versions can be hung either horizontally or vertically.

23 comments:

Kathysue said...

I voted A only because it looks hand forged but I really am not sure. I will be back to see which is which or maybe I will go to the links now, Yes that is exactly what I will do. Kathysue

Couture Carrie said...

Fun vote!
Gorgeous post!

xoxox,
CC

The Shiny Pebble said...

The only reason I'd say that the elongated one is more expensive is because it is all over the blogosphere... but you are right, both are beautiful. But I have only seen it hung vertically. I love peacocks, so that mirror is right up my alley.

We should plan a TM run one of these weekends. ;)

Marija said...

Gotta be A. Something about B looks mass-produced....

Karena said...

Averill I really like the finish on A. It looks more expensive to me, could be totally wrong though!!

Karena
Art by Karena

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Fun poll!!!

Dayka Robinson said...

i voted and chose A because the shape of the others is not as circular as mirror b. can't wait to see which one it is. love the mirror.

Christy said...

I've never heard the term Peafowl before! I love learning something new everyday!

I picked A because it seems to be VERY similar to Adler's version - it's not exactly uniform; thus, perhaps made by hand? LOVE these posts Averill. More, please!

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

I'd say A....but could be wrong....I had to think about this one for a bit....

My Interior Life said...

I voted "A" too, but I think B is a great alternative. I particularly love Jonathan Adler's use of the mirror juxtaposing styles. Love it!

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

I said A, but B is beautiful, too. Love this style of mirror.

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

I've loved that "ATM" version for awhile now - such a great buy!! I know some people are against knockoffs, but I love them since I could never afford the real thing. :) Oh well!

beachhouse etc. said...

i just saw that mirror at Pier one i really want it...need to find the perfect spot...it really is a statement piece...love it i do think they look the same and hve seen these in other places in Palm Beach like Mecox Gardens for thousands...good idea on the poll..fun have a great day suzanne

Unknown said...

I voted for B...but really they look the same to me! Have never really seen and/or noticed these mirrors before, but now that I have...am in love!!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I voted A although my first thought was B. I was thinking B would look like the obvious choice so maybe the one that wasn't so obvious was the more expensive one.

Tracy Watier said...

Love the neutrals of the first room with the great texture on that mirror. Your walls don't need much else with a mirror like that as a focal point.

Kathysue said...

Hi Averill, I had to laugh when I read your comment on my DIY post today. I agree, now weaving rugs here.Wait until you see the can of worms I have opened up,it has become another saga in mylife. Oh my! I am posting on it in the next couple of days. Let me just say, I will be glad when this one is DONE!

Laura@JourneyChic said...

I recognize that Pier 1 mirror! :)

Patricia Shepard said...

I love when you do "Which one is the super pricey" -- you should do it more often!! :-D
I vote for A because it looks like platinum.

Erica @ Decorica said...

Yay, I got it right! I picked A because it looked more intricate and less manufactured. Fun poll. -erica

ashlina {the decorista} said...

oh averill...is it bad that i really want both!!!!!

Alicia said...

Of course it's A because I love it. Now I'm off to see what I already know....

Hello Lover... said...

Love this mirror! but for me if you can get the same look for less, I say go for it! Maybe not for a highly used item like a sofa or dining table that could have pretty poor quailty but for something that will be hanging on a wall most likely touched by no one (except yourself of course) then the less the cost the better!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails