Monday, January 3, 2011

Nursery: Progress Report


Over the course of the holidays, despite plenty of company and my growing fatigue (and belly!), I did manage to get a good bit done in the nursery. When we last left off, the spare bedroom was essentially our storage room, which meant the first task was clearing it out. After several trips to Goodwill, we managed to empty the room and get cracking. Dave's big task was to remove the light and install the new fan, which has the added benefit of being on a dimmer. I like how the fixture has an old schoolhouse vibe; it's definitely the kind of piece I can use long after the crib is gone.

We've also purchased several of our "big ticket" items like the crib and the dresser (both of which are from Oeuf's Sparrow line). The dresser will double as a changing table. I had initially planned on buying a separate changing table, but decided the temporary convenience of a separate (and higher) space didn't really justify the additional cost. I also got DwellStudio's Draper rug, which ties in with the fitted stripe sheet and I really think it's going to make the room. 


My big DIY for the nursery last week was making the crib skirt. I used the Alphabet Tales print from Osborne & Little's Zagazoo line. While my mom taught me the rudiments of sewing when I was younger, I'm hardly a seamstress, so I opted to go the no-sew route with some Stitch Witchery, an iron and this short DIY video courtesy of Young House Love. Sherry does a wonderful job of walking you through it, so I won't take you step by step here. Instead, I'll just throw in my quickie advice: make sure your measurements are accurate for each side before you cut (and measure the inside, not the outside, of the crib for accurate dimensions, taking into account any support slats, screws or other obstacles that may keep the skirt from laying flat).



After hemming each panel with the hem tape, I used fabric glue to secure orange grosgrain ribbon along the bottom edges and secured each panel to the crib with Velcro (the stick-on kind for the crib and the iron-on kind for the panels). While the skirt might withstand a few washings, it's certainly not for the ages -- indeed, I even had to do some impromptu (and very hackneyed) cutting once I installed the panels to get the skirt to lay flat despite the support slats behind each leg. That said though, I think it looks good and I'm happy with the results.



The nursery is connected to a Jack-and-Jill bathroom that I'm also sprucing up (in the same color scheme) in time for BB Conn's arrival. I found some adorable towels in orange and aqua off ideeli a few months ago, but I'd been having a lot of trouble finding a shower curtain that I really liked in the same colors that didn't read as too juvenile (after all, this bathroom is also connected to our guest room). And so, I decided to make my own...well, I prettied up my own in any event.



I purchased an inexpensive plain white fabric shower curtain and some grosgrain ribbon in orange and aqua. I then used fabric glue to adhere the ribbons to create a wide band across the bottom of the curtain. I actually eye balled the spacing but if you're a bit unsteady (or a perfectionist), then I'd suggest marking your distances with a washable fabric pen. While the fabric glue does a reasonable job of keeping the ribbon in place, I knew that I needed to sew down the ribbon along the edges to really get them to stay flat and hold up in a damp environment (and in the washing machine).

Under the watchful eye of my mother, I used a sewing machine to sew down the edges. I used a clear thread to avoid having to change out the thread for each color. A great tip from my mom: sew the right (or left) sides of all four ribbons in one go and then turn the curtain around and sew the other sides down. This will keep the ribbons from puckering and ensure they lay flat.


Of course, there are still a number of items to check off the list in the next 8 weeks or so before I can call this room complete. Here's the status of my to do list as of last weekend:

(1) Clear the room. 
(2) Paint the walls (Benjamin Moore's Forget Me Not) and ceiling (Benjamin Moore's Icing on the Cake). [Note: I have, for once, decided to outsource the paint job to professionals; hopefully, my painter will be out in the next week or two to get this done.]
(3) Order the crib, dresser, glider and rug.
(4) Install the ceiling fan.
(5) Sew the crib skirt.
(6) Build the pelmet box for the window and upholster in the O&L fabric.
(7) Sew covers for throw pillows to go on glider and window seat.
(8) Order artwork and frames.
(9) Establish a furniture arrangement that optimizes space.
(10) Purchase/install floating shelves above the dresser for photos and diapering essentials.
(11) Arrange and hang wall art.
(12) Organize baby's closet -- wash and fold clothes, store toys and gear, etc.

I'm pleased with the progress so far, but my nesting instinct seems to have kicked into high gear here in the last week or so (perhaps something about hitting the 30 week mark?) and I'm ready to power this out quickly now. I'll keep you posted!

30 comments:

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

I am loving the direction this room is headed in!!! The color scheme is perfect for a little boy...well, a little girl too! Can't wait to see more. Where did you find the shower curtain? I've been looking for a plain white shower curtain to do the exact thing to in the boys bathroom.

casey at loft and cottage said...

Great job, Averill. It's looking beautiful! Love seeing your process and reading your to-do list of what's to come. Can't wait to see more!

Christy said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all your choices! And you ARE quite the seamstress, Ms. Modest. Can't wait to see more progress as you make it. Like the glider! And the painted ceiling! Woot! Enjoy your last 10-ish weeks! It's going to fly by!

Unknown said...

Darling! I love the orange and "blue" color scheme and am a big fan of the O&L fabric. This will be a happy place that you'll love spending time in. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Kristen said...

ooo, i LOVE where this is going! looking great.

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Oh, it is coming together. Love it and you'll be amazed as you sit in that room for hours on end feeding the little guy how much joy it will bring you!

Laura@JourneyChic said...

Two thumbs up for your DIY crib skirt and shower curtain! They look great. I love the nursery's color scheme and it's shaping up nicely. Hope you had a very merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year's weekend!

Unknown said...

Love everything, especially the color palette. When it comes to nurseries I'm not a traditional colors person either. No baby pink or blue for me! Thanks for the inspiration.

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

It's looking great! You will be like a maniac the next 8 weeks trying to make sure you have every little thing ready...I guess it's the nesting part they talk about!

alison giese Interiors said...

Oh, Averill:
LOVE it! I think if I had to do over, I'd go with a more modern crib. Can't wait to see more updates! What a year 2011 will be for you!

Erica @ Decorica said...

I agree with you, the orange striped rug will make the space, it's so fun. And I can't believe you made that bed skirt! Looking forward to seeing more.

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Looking great and impressed with your job on the bed skirt. I adore this colour scheme!

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

I'm LOOVING it!! What a productive break you had, all of your DIY projects are adding such special touches to your baby's room. And P.S. - clear thread?!? How have I not heard of this??? Genius!!

Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

SO FABULOUS!!! I love that color combo so much! I've always wanted to make my own shower curtain with ribbon just like that, you're an inspiration!

Averill said...

L.Duncan: I used Pottery Barn's PB Essential Shower curtain...I also had trouble finding a white shower curtain that wasn't otherwise adorned or textured.

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/pb-essential-shower-curtain/?pkey=cshower-curtains

Area Rugs Gal said...

The BB's room looks great, love the crib's skirt and customized shower curtain. I agree with you, the striped rug definitely makes a fun statement on the room. Can't wait to see the finished room!

Tiffany @ Savor Home said...

You are quite the seamstress! How do you have time to do all that and work?? I love the nontraditional colors of the room and I think the crib is my favorite right now. But that might change when I see the finished product. Can't wait!

Happiness Is... said...

I love it! Our nursery is very subtle and plain compared to the fun colors in yours, but I love the combination of aqua and orange - super bright and cheery! Can't wait to see it all!

Emily A. Clark said...

Adorable! Such a perfect color scheme :)

stacy said...

looks great. congratulations

A Loopy Life said...

Looks amazing! We're doing a similar color scheme to yours (more blue, less aqua)and can't wait to see how the room ends up looking! We have the same crib, too, although ours hasn't arrived yet. Quick question: what are you doing for window treatments? I'm trying to decide between regular white wooden blinds (to match the rest of the house) and roman shades, as well as wondering if I should add curtains as well. :)

LindsB said...

With these color choices I want them for my own bedroom- I love everything you have done so far!

Averill said...

Loopy: I currently have simple white blinds on the one (notsobig) window in the room and I plan on keeping it; however, I am adding a DIY pelmet box in the same fabric I used for the crib skirt to perk it up a bit.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I LOVE Alphabet Tales. Recognized it immediately - even from afar. Your colors are perfect. Can't wait to see more.

And happy 2011!!

Dayka Robinson said...

I love how fresh & fun your nursery is! I could easily see the color scheme and patterns used as Baby Amo (lol) grows up. Can't wait to see the big reveal, Averill

Samantha said...

A great first home for any little person.

Hello Lover... said...

You are really moving along! I really love the color choices and your furniture pieces so far- I can't wait to see how the finished project looks!

marie said...

How CUTE are your nursery design skills! I'm loving the color scheme and that crib is one of my favorites. You're so DIY-savvy hehe. You'll have to check out http://blog.simplybabyfurniture.com when you get a chance for more tips/inspiration!

Julie at Belle Vivir said...

It beautiful. I love the rug and the dresser.

Eavan said...

What an absolutely gorgeous nursery.


Visit for more information on Nursery Glider

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails