Monday, August 9, 2010

Before & After: Hamptons Home

I'm baaaack. After a much needed week off from blogging, I'm back and feeling much more inspired -- and much more rested. Many thanks for all your sweet comments and e-mails. I can assure you that I'm doing well and there's absolutely nothing to worry about. The past month or so has just been incredibly busy at work and that busyness translated into far less time (and inclination) for blogging.

But let's get down to business, shall we? I thought I'd kick off the week with some great before and after shots of a remodeled Hamptons vacation home that featured in this month's Traditional Home. During the month of August, a privileged few New Yorkers get the luxury of spending weekends vacationing at the Hamptons...and I'll admit that despite having never been to the Hamptons, I can't help but be a little jealous. Not only would I love to be able to escape the (very hot) concrete jungle that is Houston in August generally, but the Hamptons specifically seems like an ideal place to escape to. In my mind at least, the Hamptons seems to capture the best of the northeast with its quaint shingled cottages and villages and its more subtle, more sophisticated (and yet still beachy) sensibility.

And I think that sensibility is beautifully captured in this recent remodel, which was done by Connecticut-based architect Stuart Disston of Austin Patterson Disston Architects and NY-based designer Ken Gemes. I think in many ways the greatest improvements were done to the exterior of the home, where its rather dark and dated 1980s exterior was updated to a brighter, more timeless cottage aesthetic.

The dark, lodge-like mood of the original house extended to the interior, with its floor-to-ceiling stone fireplace and dark beams. The removal of these heavy elements lends an airiness to the space that enhances the room's height. Crisp white paneling adds a touch of sophistication and formality that the original space lacked.

Another view of the living room. I love a simple sisal rug for more casual spaces. The choice of warm yellows and tans is less expected than blue and white and lends a warmth to the room that cooler tones would not provide.

I think the before & after for the foyer is perhaps the most striking of any of the renovations inside the house. The addition of a round table not only highlights the newly expanded size, but also adds a graciousness that the original foyer simply lacked. Note too how much of an impact the flaring of the stairs at the base brings to the room; that one simple change upgrades them from private to public status. The addition of more crisp white paneling adds interest without bringing in additional color.

Of course the kitchen underwent a major overhaul as well. The addition of a boxed beamed ceiling adds additional architectural interest and the awkward dead space between the cabinetry and the ceiling has been eliminated. The green backsplash and orange Roman shade add soft splashes of color in the otherwise neutral space.

The den (formerly the garage) is perhaps my favorite room, with its more relaxed, slightly more contemporary vibe. I love the fabric Gemes selected for the drapery, the grasscloth wallpaper, and the soft, inviting upholstery. That sofa is exactly where I'd be curled up reading when the weather wasn't cooperating and I couldn't be outside.

I think that the dining room is most evocative of the British colonial vibe that the homeowner was striving for with its dark wood, caned-back chairs, sisal rug and tropical-themed art.

Of course I'm charmed by the soft, watery palette of the guest bedroom. The dreaminess is further enhanced with a lovely window seat (which should be a "must" in any vacation home's bedroom). Sure, the colors and prints might be overtly theme-y, but I think you can get away with that in a guest room -- particularly one in a vacation home. After all, when you get to wake up in the Hamptons, don't you want to be reminded of where you are?

22 comments:

ashlina {the decorista} said...

such a fab post av, i love seeing the before and after. LOVE IT!

North of 25A said...

Before & after pictures are so interesting; all the rooms are beautiful - I especially like the living room. When it comes to the Hamptons I feel like I have the best of both worlds; my sister has stunning home in East Hampton (Wainscott) and another dear friend is in West Hampton. It is truly a special place. But, I have all the pleasures without any of the headaches; sadly, there are many. The traffic is no fun, I kid you not. And many, many of the "summer people" as they are known are just plain annoying.
Best,
Colleen

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I had been thinking of you! Welcome back...glad to see a new post, and this style of architecture gets my heart beating faster! LOVE! Janell

Muffy said...

Love this! My husband & I actually honeymooned on Long Island & it is wonderful! So quaint & the homes there...ahh it was just eye candy everywhere. Rows upon rows of hydrangeas. You would love it. We stayed at the Morning Glory Inn which is a fabulous bed & breakfast run by a lovely couple. I'm from TX to & I loved the weather there. We went in July & it was so nice.

alison giese Interiors said...

So glad you're back! I know, what an amazing transformation! I wish they had sourced the carpet used as a runner on the stairs. I think they kept it, and it has a nice geometric pattern. Hmm.....

Erica @ Decorica said...

Gorgeous makeovers. I love seeing them too. I really like the den with the bookcase and the dark carpet, nice to see such a dark rug for a change.

Unknown said...

Those exteriors are INSANE! In the best way of course. So happy to have you back! Hope you're feeling well-rested :)

Karena said...

Averill this is fabulous and I adore seeing the before and afters! A great transformation!

Come and join my new Giveaway!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Kathysue said...

Glad to see you back Averill!! I am in love with the master suite it is perfect to me and the outside transformation is picutresque!kathysue

Unknown said...

Yay! You're back! Loved this house when I saw it featured...and really loved reading your take on it!

Samantha said...

You only took the weekend off? I thought you would be off the rest of the summer.

Been to the Hamptons once. Thanks for the pics of what those places look on the inside.

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

What an amazing transformation. Looks like the perfect place for a relaxing getaway! Glad to see you back!!

Tobe @ Two Tall Blondes said...

this is so inspiring! bookmarking this post for the someday house. welcome back :)

dining room set said...

That is the most amazing changes in one house I ever saw. I can't see the old house in the changes that they made. It is just so amazing. If you look at it. You will never think that it is just renovated.

René said...

I'm glad that your time away wash refreshing. Thank you for sharing this before and after. I have found great ideas after sitting here looking at it (for too long now). This post definitely has me thinking.

-Rene

Laura@JourneyChic said...

Welcome back! These rooms are absolutely stunning. Whenever I see summer homes like this one (and especially the historic mansions of Newport, RI), I can't help but wonder: If this is the summer home, what the heck does the *regular* home look like???

Sarah Klassen said...

Hello Averill! I'm so glad that everything is alright and that you are well -- you have been on my mind, and I'm thrilled with your return... and with such style, as always! This place is unbelievable —it's almost as if someone literally breathed new life into it—woke it up again, so to speak. It's gorgeous and I'm so glad you shared...

Wishing you a fantastic week,

xo

Shannon Fricke said...

what a fabulous transformation! wonderful shots.

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Welcome back!

It's no secret that I'm a sucker for a good remodel, and this one is GORGEOUS!!!!

Hello Lover... said...

I literally studied this home in Traditional Home - that entryway is perfection to me!

Christy said...

LOVE the afters, and now I want to get my hands on that monkey print in the dining room! So neat!

Anonymous said...

wow!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails