Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Style Essential: Turquoise Lamps

I've expressed my love of turquoise on this blog before, but I think one of the easiest ways to bring this bright, fun (and admittedly a bit trendy) hue into your home is through lighting. Prior to becoming an interior design amateur, I readily admit that I frequently ignored lighting. It just didn't seem important. Now though, I'm starting to believe that it might be the single most important element in a room. From a practical standpoint, good light is essential to good (and functional) design. From an aesthetic perspective, lighting (much like jewelry) can take the ordinary and inexpensive and transform it into something glorious. And so, as with jewelry, I'm a big believer in splurging on good lighting for a space.

But is the splurge worth it for a pair of turquoise lamps? I'd argue yes. Turquoise is perhaps unique among bright hues in its ability to work with a variety of colors. When paired with neutrals, turquoise accents are really allowed to take center stage. When paired with other equally bright colors (like purple, orange or green), turquoise is strong enough to really hold its own. I've said it before and I'll say it again: you should think of turquoise as a neutral.

I absolutely adore how Ondine paired these deep turquoise lamps with orange and that gorgeous suzani coverlet. The disparate color palette works because the walls are left neutral and all of the accent colors are equally saturated.

This room deservedly made the cover of House Beautiful a few months ago. The pops of soft blue work beautifully with the beige, but I think my favorite element in this space is the pairing of the striped wallpaper with the chinoiserie print (Lyford background by China Seas) and just that ever so subtle hit of zebra print on the throw pillows. It's a veritable master class in how to mix patterns.

I love how the lamp is the only bright color in this vignette. The peacock blue also picks up on the blue undertones of the wall paint.

In this room, turquoise is the primary accent color as its picked up in the majority of the soft furnishings, the lamps and in the artwork. I think turquoise is a great color choice for a master bedroom, as I think it appeals to both masculine and feminine sensibilities, especially when its paired with clean lines and little pattern as its done here.

I've waxed on about my love for this room in the past, but suffice it to say here that I'm still completely in love with these soft turquoise glass lamps, especially against the rich chocolate brown grass cloth on the walls.

Aside from the brilliant red of the roses, the pair of lamps on the buffet are the sole source of color in this room.

I love the height of this lamp, which really helps bridge the gap between the low furniture and the ceiling. The bright, citrus yellow of the walls can be tough to work with, but in the hands of Jamie Drake, the room feels sophisticated and grown-up, largely thanks to neutral furnishings, accented only by a few pops of turquoise in the lamp and throw pillows. The art work above the sofa ties the entire color palette together.

In this bedroom, I love how the bold turquoise of the lamp is picked up on the peacock-inspired throw pillow on the bed. By repeating this strong hue, the choice appears deliberate rather than accidental.

Melissa Warner of Massucco Warner Miller

This vignette, featured in the most recent issue of House Beautiful, is truly stunning. Not only do I adore the simple ceramic gourd lamp from Restoration Hardware, but just about every other element in here as well. I love how the detail in the cabinet doors is picked out in the soft blue and how the colors are picked up on the art work, which appears heavily influenced by the work of Rene Magritte, one of my favorite artists.

You can't get much prettier than this vintage Murano glass lamp. The blues in this bedroom are all very different, yet they work together beautifully. Don't be afraid to mix and match shades of the same color. The effect is eclectic, without being cacophonous.

The sea glass look of this large gourd lamp is the perfect -- and subtle -- beachy accent for this bedroom. Take a cue from Mrs. Howard and avoid filling this type of glass lamp with tchotchkes. I don't know why retailers are always encouraging this as I find the look to be entirely too cluttered (and the likely filler here, sand and shells, would take this room into theme territory).

If you're looking to bring a little turquoise light into your life, here are my top ten favorite that are currently available at retail:

Source List (from top left): 1. Art Glaze Floral Relief Lamp (Shades of Light; $299). A great way to bring some more texture into a room. 2. Paulette Lamp (Avid-Home; $337.50). A stylish shape that works equally well in traditional or modern interiors -- and the lucite base is fabulous. 3. Cane Turquoise Table Lamp (Clayton Gray Home; $290). Cane + turquoise = perfectly Palm Beach. 4. Capri Bottle Lamp (Jonathan Adler; $275). You can't get much more classic than this. 5. Stacked Ball Murano Lamps (Swank Lighting; $3000/pair). Jaw-droppingly beautiful (and if you're looking for vintage Murano lamps, Swank should be your first stop). 6. Blakely Glass Lamp (Avid-Home; $375). The neutral shade and more muted hue of this lamp means it will work seamlessly in more neutral rooms. 7. Jamie Young Co. Deauville Table Lamp, Sea Glass (Candelabra; $629). Delicate and oh-so-pretty, this one reminds me of the lamp in Jeffers' room above. 8. Peacock Lamp (Plantation; $365). Absolutely adore the color of this ceramic lamp. 9. Carnaby Hazard Lamp (Jonathan Adler; $225). A simple cylindrical shape is made interesting with a fun, retro pattern. 10. Pagoda Table Lamp (Clayton Gray Home; $350). The scale and shape of this pagoda lamp makes it perfect for a console table.

29 comments:

ashlina {the decorista} said...

i could not agree more! every room needs a pair.

Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

Fantastic collection of images! YES, every room benefits from a pair of turquoise lamps!

Karen said...

I love all of these. I just painted my own gourd lamps a beautiful shade of blue.

Laura@JourneyChic said...

I love the Kristen Panitch room! HomeGoods has had a lot of great ceramic lamps lately. It's a good place to start if you want to try out a turquoise lamp for a minimal price.

Emily A. Clark said...

Turquoise just gives a room more life. That vignette from the latest House Beautiful is stunning.

Kitty said...

Really lovely, all of them. I am redecorating slowly but surely, and I'll be checking in more frequently...miss all my blogging kittens - especially you! xo kitty

Kathysue said...

Averill, what a beautiful constructed post. All your images show tastefully how to incorporate the trend color of turqouise. I agree with you that it can be a neutral. I read once that everyone no matter what your coloring can wear turqouise. I don't know if it is true or not but if so that would make it pretty neutral in my book. Lovely post my dear friend, Kathysue

alison giese Interiors said...

I think I could print and frame your mood board of turq-WAZ lamps - LOVE them so!

Poindexter said...

I love how you add the source list to your posts. As i was paging through, I kept wondering, how in the world would I ever find these? And voila! My homework assignment is miraculously complete! And I love turquoise too. It is my inspiration color for my bedroom and one of these days, the dream will become a reality... :)

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

A great accessory. Love the first ones!

Beth Connolly said...

Your blog should be named Caeruleum Amo.

Unknown said...

I was in a design store the other day obsessing over two Sptizmiller turquoise lamps, and how and where I could use them...this is a sign! I need those lamps! Its also a sign that I adore each and every post you do!!!!

Pink Wallpaper said...

so pretty....i'll take the pair in the second pic!

Anonymous said...

Wow! It's like an encylopedia entry - so thorough!! Does anyone know anything about the incredible "circle" pendant in the Palmer Weiss room? thanks! Amy

walrus studio said...

Nice analysis...And by the way I LOVE the cabinet under the Magritte print!! ♥♥

Unknown said...

another perfect post from odi et amo: myriad examples of this style essential in beautiful interiors PLUS no fewer than ten suggestions for how to recreate the look. honestly, you are the best!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Your posts are just so full of fantastic information...I especially love and appreciate the lamp recap at the end!!!

Lamps are so important, it is often the thing that can get me hung up on a project trying to find the right one at a price everyone can live with!

Anything turquoise...yes, please!

Porchlight Interiors said...

I agree, these lights really do have such a big impact in the room! Tracey xx

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Lighting as Jewelry, so true! The dining room by Meg Braff has to be the favorite room you've shown in this post. It is stunning, all the whites with just a touch of color in the lamps and flowers. Can you imagine the room without these elements?
Janell

Kara said...

What is it about turquoise? I love it and it never fails to make a room more interesting.

Sanity Fair said...

I've had my eye on that cane lamp from Clayton Grey Home for a while! I visited the Atlanta show house just yesterday (several posts forthcoming on that) and guess what: turquoise lamps in one of the bedrooms by Meg Nutt! It was a really serene space, and the turquoise added just the right touch of color. Really pretty.
-SF

Couture Carrie said...

Stunning post, darling!
Love all these spaces and the lamps... Your collage is perfection! Especially loving the Jonathan Adler!

xoxox,
CC

Unknown said...

Thanks for this post. I was at Home Goods last weekend and found so many cute blue lamps that I wanted to incorporate into my daughters bedroom!!!

Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

Totally agree! LOVE that first room! And a turquoise lamp!

Anonymous said...

I knew turquoise was hot right but I never noticed just how many turquoise lamps are out there. Leave it to you, Averill, to find all these. Another great post, my dear!

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

It's no secret that I love me some turquoise lamps - I sometimes just walk by and admire the ones in my dining room. I think every home could use some turquoise! :)

Samantha said...

How do you find all of these?

Alicia said...

Another yummy post & Melissa's vignette in the new HB will be the first tear sheet when I go through the issue. That pice is to die for!!
Got to tell you when I saw the first shot of Debs new office first thought...Averill's going to luv the fabric & walls!!! No fooling!!!

Sherman Unkefer said...

I love all of those lamps. Every home should have one! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails