Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Converting the Unconvertable

As I've mentioned before, Dave has a general dislike for wallpaper. I'm not sure if it's the expense (compared to paint), the difficulty in putting it up (not to mention taking it down) or just that he still associates wallpaper with the hideous cartoon borders and "grandma" florals that dominated our childhoods in the '80s and early '90s.

I tend to view Dave's resistance to something as a challenge to convert him to my way of thinking. I knew though that if I could find the "perfect" wallpaper for Dave, that he'd not only relent and let me wallpaper at least a few rooms in the new house, but that he may even end up liking the final result. Now there are a few things I know about my husband's taste: (1) he likes jewel-tone blues and greens, (2) he likes metallics, (3) he likes nature-inspired themes, and (4) he likes intricacy and ornate patterns over simplicity and geometics.


Last week I found this, the perfect wallpaper for Dave. It's from Graham & Brown and called "Enchant - Ultramarine". It hits all the right notes and in person it's even more beautiful as the trees have a translucent quality that make them appear as if they'd been carefully silk-screened, one by one, onto the paper (Graham & Brown will send you samples free of charge, you just pay shipping). What's interesting is that, while I suggested this wallpaper for the powder room, Dave loved it so much he wants to do an entire wall of it in his "man" room, and then paint the rest of the room in a coordinating shade of teal. I'm not entirely sure if the end result will be particularly masculine, but I do think it will be beautiful.

But now the important question:

While I managed to convince Dave of the virtues of modern wallpaper, we still need to decide on the "perfect" paper for the powder room. I've narrowed it down to our two favorite choices (Sariskar Banswara by Henry Wilson for Osborne & Little and Stella-Amethyst by Marcel Wanders for Graham & Brown) and would like to open this one up for a vote.


14 comments:

Christy said...

I love your choice - I also love all of Candice Olson's wallpapers - we have one of hers in our family room. I'm so impressed with Dave's choices - I think his room will be stunning!

Anonymous said...

I didn't vote because I really like the Osborne and Little colors but the Graham and Browns pattern, which is so typical of me! I think either one would be great though. I can relate to the wallpaper vs. husband situation. It isn't so much the wallpaper itself that bothers him since there are so many great papers out there now, but actually the work of putting it on and eventually taking it back off. :-) So much easier to just paint I guess.

Jamie said...

I love this post because I recently had the same disagreement with my husband over wallpapering the downstairs powder room. I'm loving the Graham & Brown Darcy Pearl or their Illusion Cocoa! Good luck! Enchant is beautiful.
Jamie S.

Averill said...

Jamie - Both of those are BEAUTIFUL, very graphic choices and would look great in your house!

Beth Connolly said...

Love the Osborne & Little-shouldn't you be packing?

Averill said...

B - I'm packing tonight (I'm quite the procrastinator). By the way, on Friday night I've got us booked for dinner at the Boxwood Cafe and then drinks at the Blue Bar!

Jody Harrington said...

The Graham and Brown would be a lovely tie-in with the plum color for your study....

Sanity Fair said...

I favor the peacocks. Maybe it's just reading so much Flannery O'Connor!

Alicia said...

Way to go Dave. I'm certain you were dumbfounded upon his announcement.
I still love the for the powder room though...it would make such a statement.
Have fun packing. A glass of vino makes it go more smoothly.

Beth Connolly said...

After seeing the Blue Bar, you will want to lacquer a room in that blue. Also, dress well.

Kellie Collis said...

Love the teal. Sounds like my husband... He hates the thought of taking it down!

Patch said...

The peacocks! They make me think I'm in the powder room of some very hip, glamorous people and/or sultans!

Things That Inspire said...

I have lived in my house 12 years, in a home built in 1988. There was a lot of wallpaper! After having a large amount of wallpaper removed from my kitchen in January, the only room that still has wallpaper is my powder room downstairs.

I do think that wallpaper adds a great element to a space, particularly one that does not see a lot of wear and tear, in general I am not a huge fan. But - I do love wallpaper in a powder room! A powder room is seen by most guests, and is a small space where an exquisite pattern will go a long way.

Kathysue said...

Love them both! I am a lover of well designed wallpaper and these both are wonderful. I have wallpaper in my home and probably always will. It is a bear to remove but you get many years of pleasure so it is a trade off that is well worth it in my book, Can not wait to see it all done! Kathysue

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails