Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Advice for New Moms: Green Street


Dave and I are back from Florida and this week we've got not one but two guest posts coming in my Advice for New Moms series. Today, I'd like to welcome Fran from Green Street. Fran is a fabulous mom with an equally fabulous sense of style and I'm sure you'll find her advice as helpful as I have. Take it away, Fran!

* * *

Congratulations Averill - I am very happy for you and your husband for your upcoming new addition!  Thank you for inviting me to participate in your series.  I have a 3 year old son who is the love of my life! While three years is certainly not a long time, it definitely feels like eternity since my days of cradling a newborn. My mind is a bit foggy, but there are some things you will never forget.

Most Indispensible Product:

Hands down - swaddling blankets!  If I had to recommend the best swaddling blankets out there, it would be aden + anais muslin swaddling blankets.  They are lightweight and breathable (100% cotton), sized generously and have a wide selection of beautiful designs.  This will save you from a lot of sleepless nights! (But, learn how to swaddle tightly!)

Nursery Must Haves:
Land of Nod changing pad covers.  

  
And, don't forget the Diaper Dekor Plus which is very good at controlling odors!

At a very young age, my son listened to music.  I would always have music in the back ground while caring for him.  I love Music Together's collection of songs.  And, when your baby gets older, they have classes to enroll your child in.  They're fabulous!


And, the last nursery must have to complement your nursery design (which is fabulous, btw) are the Land of Nod eco-friendly wild and wheelie animals.


Most Useless Product: were the sleep wedge and positioners (at least for me)!
If I had to do it over again:

I would have bought a calendar and recorded all the milestones (even the littlest of milestones).  At a later date, I would then transfer all the dates to a journal so I would have a record of my son's baby years.  Moreover, I would have taken a picture of him every month in the same position so I could see the progression of his growth over the year!  

Well, Averill, I have no doubt that you'll be a wonderful mommy!!  Best of luck to you and we can't wait to see your little boy!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Averill! As you know, I don't have much need for new mom advice, but I think this is a great series for those who do! Very well put together and informative. Every time I see one of these posts I smile thinking how excited you must be! Hope all is going well with you.

René said...

Welcome back Averill! Fran, what a great post and I totally agree that keeping record of all of the milestones would have been a good idea. It gets even harder with the second child.

-Rene

Christy said...

Love her advice! We actually did use one of those sleep positioner thingys for both kids - when they were teeny tiny. It gave me peace of mind when they were in the cosleeper next to our bed, for the first couple of weeks. Great idea on the calendar of milestones and taking a photo in the same position...I might start that now with Cal!

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Hope you had a great holiday in Florida! I sent this series to a friend of mine that is expecting and she's hooked!

Karena said...

Fran great product ideas!! Thanks to Averill for featuring you! I know you will both love this....

Come and Enter my $200 giveaway from Fifi Flowers!
xoxo

Karena
Art by Karena

Anonymous said...

I love this series! I totally have to agree with Fran's "if I had to do it over again"s. I can't even tell you the last time I took out my daughter's baby book - I'm sure that by the time I get it out I won't remember a lot of the dates :(

casey at loft and cottage said...

Great tips, Fran, and such good advice that I am just soaking up and hoping to use someday!

Unknown said...

So sweet to read all this, it's far behind me, but so nice to see how it all is always new again....
Fran has great advise. Swaddling is great to calm a restless bay!
As a former midwife I would just add nurse the baby as long as you can, at least six month. I believe this is still the best you can give your child and it is a wonderful way to connect.
And I remember as a suburban mom I was happy to have one of those easy baby seat/carriers, which have a rolling base to go from shops to car and back, but I am sure there is some stylish gear out there today!
xx Victoria

Happiness Is... said...

Fun post - love this!

Dayka Robinson said...

All this great advice almost makes me wish I was having a baby--almost. :) You & Dave will be perfectly well-equipped parents by the time your little one arrives! I miss reading your blog and have finally subscribed so I can read it on my phone on the go! Hope you're doing well, dear!

Acanthus and Acorn said...

I totally agree with Fran on Land of Nod. Before they were affiliated with C&B I used to order from them often. Great toys and bedding!

A super good idea about the calender and jotting things down. It is shocking how soon you forget and when/if another comes along, you start doing the "now was it baby x or y who did this?"

Hope your feeling well!
xo,
~R

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails