Friday, October 1, 2010

Halloween Costume High/Low


I love Halloween costumes. And I'll even admit that I love Martha Stewart's fantastical, creative takes on Halloween costumes. The only issue I ever buy of Martha Stewart Living, just to relish in the fantasy that this year I'll craft away my October weekends and throw together one helluva DIY costume.

But let's get real. Most weekends it's all I can do to check off the "must do" errands and chores. And so, if I'm going to dress up for Halloween, I'm going to have to go store-bought or risk going yet again as a "punk rocker" or Janet Reno (better when I had short hair). But I refuse to do a fall-back again this year. Now that I live in a neighborhood with children aplenty, I vow to do better...even if it's just to scare them a wee bit when I open the door to hand out candy.


For those of us on a budget (or who are dressing up to stay home, as I plan to), I'm totally loving Costume Couture, the new Target capsule collection from Simon Doonan, author and window dresser extraordinaire. Simon's pithy (and punny) wit is all too evident in these costumes, from Candace Corn to the Chow Hound. Even better? It's all under $30. Oh Target, how I love thee...


If you're willing and able to shell out a little more dough (which may be worthwhile if you're attending a full-fledged adult Halloween soiree or have children who practically live in dress-up clothes, as my sister and I did), might I suggest Chasing Fireflies? The children's site has the best selection of costumes -- for children, adults and pets, might I add -- that I've ever seen. I particularly love the array of historical and mythological costumes. In fact, if that Medusa outfit came in an adult version, I'd be all over it.

P.S. - Have you ever noticed how dog costumes are so often modeled by bulldogs? Perhaps it's because a bulldog, let alone a bulldog in a tutu, is inherently funny.

14 comments:

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Yes, it is that time of year to get going on the costumes...Isabella always dreams up some pretty interesting concepts and we all try to do the day right with fun costumes! Janell

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

The candy corn costume has to be my fave. And I'm like you, I always fall back on old favorites like "80's girl" and "ladybug" and other gems that are easy to throw together in a pinch. Maybe some year I'll get it together in advance!

Christy said...

Totally! Love bulldogs and bulldogs in costumes. Though I bet your little pooch would be adorable in one too. So that first picture is Martha?! I never would have known! I hope you share pix with us of whatever costume you decide on for this year. I LOVE dressing up too! Ms Foo was a fairy last year...I have to figure out what she's going to be this year don't I? And soon! (Ps - did you see that my blog went private? Your invite was emailed to you - if it got deleted in spam lemme know and I'll shoot it over again!)

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Bulldogs and pugs rock all costumes. I just want to take that rocker bulldog home. Happy Weekend!

Couture Carrie said...

I love dressing up for Halloween too!
Really fun post, darling!

xoxox,
CC

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Simon D. & Target = brilliant. I love this time of year! I can't wait to see what you come up with!! Hope your feeling good and getting lots of extra sleep.

Have a terrific weekend. Is this weather not perfect. Very California! x

Dumbwit Tellher said...

oh forgot..I live for the Martha Halloween edition magazine!! Emily & I use to fight over it. ( :

Daniela said...

Chasing Fireflies is our go-to place for costumes....though pricey! This year, Cayden are debating between being vampires or ghosts...They are going for a scary theme....I wanted Romy to wear this one:
http://www.chasing-fireflies.com/goddess-durga/productinfo/31337/
but there isn't a matching costume for Cayden.

chefuality.blogspot.com

ashlina {the decorista} said...

so funny abt bulldogs and so true.
have no idea what i am going to be...now you got me thinking.

Acanthus and Acorn said...

I always loved picking out costumes with my kids! Can't go wrong with a little Martha inspiration, her picks are always...dead on!!!

Erica @ Decorica said...

I love that image of Martha - I saw it on the cover of her magazine in the grocery store. Yeah, bulldogs are cute, and bulldogs in costumes are even more cute!

Laura@JourneyChic said...

Last year the Mr. and I dressed up as Ron Burgundy and Veronica Corningstone. Sadly, I couldn't find a straight blonde wig, so I got a curly one instead. Result: I looked like a small-boobed Dolly Parton from "Nine to Five". This year I'll leave the costume-wearing to Junior, who will be a dragon. Pottery Barn Kids has adorable costumes, but spending $49 on a 3 month old's costume seemed a little silly.

Unknown said...

Nothing is cuter than a baby in a sweet little Halloween costume! :)

Naomi said...

I'm enjoying reading your point of view here in your posts.....I'm a new reader but will be back to check out more!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails