Wednesday, September 23, 2009

An Ode to Zig Zags


Mary McDonald

It's no secret that I have a strong affinity for bold colors and bold prints -- and maybe it's just because that, like a toddler, I require a lot of visual stimulation (though I'd like to think that it's more attributable to an appreciation for bold, cutting edge design). Lately though, I'm increasingly drawn to zigzag patterns and I suddenly feel like I'm seeing it everywhere, be it in the form of a Missoni print throw, a Madeline Weinrib zig zag rug, or even just a fun pillow or seat cushion.


In soft neutrals, the zigzag wallpaper in this bedroom by Erinn Valencich is more subtle, adding dimension with a subtle layering of pattern.

Jamie Drake

I'm of the belief that a touch of Missoni's iconic zigzag print works beautifully in just about every situation. Here, Jamie Drake's blend of zigzags, blue paisley and blue stripes on the sofa is absolutely masterful. Drake may be known in the design world as the King of Color, but he may also deserve the dual crown of the King of Pattern for this room. The green in the zigzag print also references in the neatly upholstered green chair.

Mary McDonald

I think this bathroom featured in domino earlier this year must be one of the most widely circulated images in the design blogosphere. Nevertheless, it's worth posting here yet again -- note how the varying thickness of the zigzags creates a more organic and less structured feel.


Just before Cottage Living folded, it did a spread on the home of Lee Kleinhelter, the owner of the Atlanta-based boutique Pieces, and it was certainly a fitting swan song for the magazine. I loved just about all the rooms featured in the spread but the living room's bold yellow and white zigzag floor is an arresting focal point for the space. The bold modern pattern is contrasted nicely with the organic wood coffee table.

Jonathan Adler

There are a lot of things I love about Jonathan Adler's design for Liz Lange's Westchester, New York, home (see HERE for more images), but the zig zag rugs in the living and dining rooms might just be my favorite elements in the design. The black and white is such a fun, graphic contrast to the pops of yellow and turquoise.



Like the Mary McDonald pictures shown above, this Miles Redd bedroom has made its way around the blogosphere many, many times by now, but it's such a wonderful example of how to incorporate a modern zigzag motif into a traditional room. The graphic zigzags are bold counterpoints to the delicate and intricate wallpaper and ethereal bed. For me, this room is quintessential Miles Redd: a brilliant mix of chinoiserie, traditional furnishings and cutting edge patterns and colors.

Nicole Balch of Making it Lovely

Another successful example of incorporating Madeline Weinrib's Zig Zag rug into a space is Nicole's lovely mid century modern-inspired living room. In contrast to Miles' room, the zigzag is the dominant motif here. The streamlined furniture is kept neutral in tone and the subtle pink walls enhance the pinks in the rug without competing with it.

And of course, I can't help but end my homage to all things zigging and zagging with a roundup of my favorite zig zag accessories (and stationery!):

Sourcelist (clockwise from top left): Las Olas Lamp from Emilia Ceramics ($185); zig zag notepad and zig zag stationery from Linda & Harriet ($12-$14); Chevron Stripe calling cards from pixelimpress ($22/set of 50); East village fabric from Rubie Green ($90/yard); ZigZag rug from West Elm ($39-$649); ZigZag pillow from TwinkleLiving ($50); East Village bedding from Rubie Green ($54-$239); and Aubergine Zig Zag rug from Madeline Weinrib.

22 comments:

FROM THE RIGHT BANK said...

I've always loved the zig zag, which explains my love for Madeline Weinrib and Missoni. This is such a great roundup. I'm going to have to bookmark it for future reference!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

What a wonderful post! I have to say I never paid that much attention to this print, but now I will!! Thanks for sharing all these inspiring images.
Janell

Laura@JourneyChic said...

God I love that Mary MacDonald bathroom! I'm a big fan of the cream and red Vanincich bedroom too. Lovely.

I've given you an award today, Averill! Stop by to pick it up. :)

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Like you, I'm loving all the zigzags!!

Couture Carrie said...

Gorgeous graphics! Love all these zigzags, especially on the floors!

xoxox,
CC

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

I'm with you on the zags! The bright colors are my favorites.

Anonymous said...

I'm all for a great graphic punch! :-) Excellent post!

Patricia Shepard said...

Such cool rooms. I wish I knew the magic formula (if there is one). All the designing I try to do with "bold" anything just looks like a mess. How do they do it?!

Sarah Klassen said...

I love zig-zag patterns, as well :)

I think that Jonathan Adler's design for Liz Lange's Westchester is my favorite. The color combination and contrast is fantastic! The curtains are amazing ~

Kitty said...

i really like the blue bathroom. it reminds me of the west baden springs hotel in southern indiana!

Tracy Watier said...

Love those graphic zigzags! Especially Jonathan Adler's black and white as a ground for other fun colors and Nicole Balch's room-making pink Weinrib. I'm also a sucker for flame stitch fabrics. But that just shows my age because nobody's done much with flame stitch in a very looong time!
Great blog! Came over from PK's Room Remix. I will be back!

Maureen Stevens said...

Those missoni rugs are way too adorable! Wonderful, wonderful images. I have a story about the West Elm zigzag rugs I bought. bought them a month ago, got lost in transit in mesquite Texas, filed a lost item claim & West Elm told me that the ones shipped were the last ones. Called again & this wonderful associate called me a day later & told me she found 2 last ones in the country & they're shipping it out to me. Haven't rcvd it yet but how wonderful. That's customer service & can't wait to get those rugs. Sorry for the long comment, I should post about this :)

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

You post some of the best pictures! I found you thru Janell's blog and I'm glad I did!

Check me out sometimes if you have a chance
www.home23duncanboys.blogspot.com

Dumbwit Tellher said...

You are dancing to my tune Averill. I crazed for zig-zag (chevron) design anything. You featured terrific examples. The Mary McDonald kitchen (first photo) is one of my all time favorites.

If you & Dave go to Scotland next year, I'll carry your bags!

Hope all is well in your new home? Think of you as I work now in Sugarland. I am there more than home nowadays. Hence the lack of comments & posts. D:

Beth Connolly said...

Although some have suggested it's an overdone trend, I think it's become a classic, especially the rugs.

Pink Wallpaper said...

too funny! your post makes me love them even more!

Sarah said...

love all zig zag/chevron patterns! esp love the J. Adler dining room!

Sarah said...

I just got an award and am passing on to you!

Sarah said...

Hi! I'd say if you receive more than one Honest scrap award, just pass along to 7 peeps. Otherwise, you will have a busy day and a long post!!

Samantha said...

I'm having a big zig zag moment right now. Really enjoyed your roundup.

pixelimpress said...

love this round up. thanks for including pixelimpress' calling cards. enjoyed your honest scrap list... here's to meeting husbands on match.com! and, at only 5'1', i would have gladly taken those extra 2" your grew in college off your hands. pam

walrus studio said...

Amazing stuff!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails